Interesting new solar glider

Old August 23rd 18, 04:29 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Kevin Neave[_2_]

Default Interesting new solar glider

Unless the sky is completely dead D2C-FES uses about about 2-4kW to get
maximum endurance. Doesn't climb at that but has *really* long legs to make
the most of any energy left in the sky.

KN

At 14:17 23 August 2018, kinsell wrote:
On 08/23/2018 05:52 AM, Emir Sherbi wrote:
El miércoles, 22 de agosto de 2018, 23:36:42 (UTC-3), kinsell

escribió:
On 08/22/2018 07:20 PM, Matt Herron Jr. wrote:
On Wednesday, August 22, 2018 at 5:49:19 PM UTC-7, AS wrote:
Just reposting here what is being discussed on the German forum.

Looks
like an electrified Sparrow-Hawk.

https://www.byeaerospace.com/bye-aer...es-1st-flight/

Here are some pictures of the maiden flight:

https://newatlas.com/bye-aerospace-s...55969/#gallery

Interesting development ...

Uli
'AS'

Both links appear to be broken...

First link has some content, if you scroll down. At least for me.

Top
level of website is https://www.byeaerospace.com/

I think they're promoting this more as an electric airplane, rather

than
a motorized glider. 2000 watts isn't much to keep a two-place

airplane
in the air.

Yes, 2kW is not much energy.
But consider that in high altitude that ship could need only 4-5kW to

maintain a sustained flight. With clear sky and in noon you can save as
much as the half of the battery's energy.

4-5KW is about 6 HP. I think 20 is a better number than 6 for

sustaining.

Clear sky at noon, middle of the summer, with none of that California
smoke drifting into Colorado, and you still won't see much benefit from
that 2KW in the air (assuming they really get 2 KW). Maybe recharging
on the ground is what they're going after.

Old August 23rd 18, 05:09 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

BTW, I thought there'd be a lot of Duckhawks flying on your side of the
pond by now, but they seem to have almost vanished without trace (just 4
registered?) despite an initial good competition showing. Why is that?

Not sure all the reasons why Windard Perfromance has more or less left the US Soaring scene, but there was a lawsuit or two relating to some kind of breach of contract. I'm sure others have more accurate details. This is what I've heard while waiting in the lineup for a tow.

Old August 23rd 18, 07:00 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Ben Hirashima

According to the New Atlas article, the aircraft is intended to be a drone. If the payload weighs less than a human pilot, maybe 2000 watts would be enough to sustain flight.
Old August 24th 18, 01:50 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Nothing new. A standard 1-26 is solar powered😁
Old August 24th 18, 03:13 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Steve Leonard[_2_]

On Thursday, August 23, 2018 at 7:50:25 PM UTC-5, wrote:
Nothing new. A standard 1-26 is solar powered😁

And has a TON more wing area for those solar cells to power the motor.
Old August 24th 18, 03:51 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

And has a TON more wing area for those solar cells to power the motor.

Good thing, too. Since it weighs a half-ton more.
Old August 24th 18, 04:25 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Steve Leonard[_2_]

On Friday, August 24, 2018 at 9:51:16 AM UTC-5, wrote:
And has a TON more wing area for those solar cells to power the motor.

Good thing, too. Since it weighs a half-ton more.

Oh, now, Mark. It doesn't even weigh but about .15 tons more empty. :-)

Steve Leonard
Old August 25th 18, 02:01 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Oh, now, Mark. It doesn't even weigh but about .15 tons more empty.

Steve-

I was including the extra .35 tons of drag inherent to the 1-26. The 1-26 might be able to fly on solar power. On MERCURY!

RTW Solar Impulse 2 Kilo-Bravo Soaring 5 March 17th 15 07:17 AM
solar glider video Peter Scholz[_2_] Soaring 8 September 21st 10 02:40 PM
Solar Flight Much more interesting than Hilarious Video Richard[_1_] Soaring 0 December 5th 08 04:07 PM
Interesting thread in Rec.av.homebuilt about using plywood toform glider Shawn Home Built 2 April 11th 05 08:28 PM
Solar Turbines [email protected] Rotorcraft 2 January 16th 05 01:30 PM