Does anyone use the Club Class?

Old January 28th 10, 04:56 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Pat Russell[_2_]

Default Does anyone use the Club Class?

Does any country run competitions in the IGC Club Class?

USA does not. We have the Sports Class, which allows any glider to
enter, and another Sports Class (called, locally, the Club Class)
which uses a restricted list of gliders that is different from the IGC
Club Class list.

In another thread, in response to a question about inclusion of the
PW-5, Andreas said:

"Sure - the only limit to CLub Class in Germany at the moment is the
upper limit of 106 for the index."

which makes me think that Germany doesn't run any IGC Club Class
competitions.

And then Martin reacted to Andreas by saying "Its the same in the
UK...", which gives me the same impression about the UK.

Three major gliding countries that don't use the IGC Club Class. It
makes me wonder if anybody does.

-Pat
Old January 28th 10, 05:07 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
JS

It's like asking if any country uses the metric system of measurement!
All of them but the USA.
Jim

Old January 28th 10, 06:00 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Andreas Maurer

On Thu, 28 Jan 2010 08:56:08 -0800 (PST), Pat Russell
wrote:

Does any country run competitions in the IGC Club Class?

Yup...

PW-5, Andreas said:

"Sure - the only limit to CLub Class in Germany at the moment is the
upper limit of 106 for the index."

which makes me think that Germany doesn't run any IGC Club Class
competitions.

Well... actually Germany does.
In fact, Club Class is by far the most popular class in Germany.

Here's the list of qualification competitions for the German
nationals:
http://www.daec-segelflug.de/quali/i...on=wbw_lst.php

Please compare the sheer number of Club Class competitions to other
classes.

Three major gliding countries that don't use the IGC Club Class. It
makes me wonder if anybody does.

I think you got it wrong...

Here's the link to the Club Class World gliding championchips 2009:
http://www.wgcrieti.it/

Check out the nations that took part...

Bye
Andreas
Old January 28th 10, 06:02 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Liam

On Jan 28, 9:07*am, JS wrote:
It's like asking if any country uses the metric system of measurement!
* All of them but the USA.
Jim

On Jan 28, 8:56*am, Pat Russell wrote:

Does any country run competitions in the IGC Club Class? USA does not. *

The metric system was invented by the French. It's a matter of
national pride.
Old January 28th 10, 06:15 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
delboy

PW-5, Andreas said:

"Sure - the only limit to CLub Class in Germany at the moment is the
upper limit of 106 for the index."

which makes me think that Germany doesn't run any IGC Club Class
competitions.

And then Martin reacted to Andreas by saying "Its the same in the
UK...", which gives me the same impression about the UK.

Three major gliding countries that don't use the IGC Club Class. *It
makes me wonder if anybody does.

-Pat

Just about every country in the World runs Club Class competitions,
except for the US. It's one of the most popular and highly competitive
national competition in the UK.

But then the USA insists on using imperial measurements, and even
their gallons are different to the UK ones. Shows the effects of
isolationism. Most countries have gone metric, and we have been buying
motor fuel in litres for years in the UK.

Derek Copeland
Old January 28th 10, 06:40 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
glider12321

PW-5, Andreas said:

[...]

Derek Copeland- Hide quoted text -

The US tried to go metric in the early '80s.... No one cared.. it
wasn't a big deal...it didn't work. It's not like no one here uses
it.... it's everywhere.
US..isolationist?
Old January 28th 10, 06:46 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Pat Russell[_2_]

Wow, I guess I was really unclear in my original post. Sorry. Allow
me to re-phrase.

My understanding is that a "class" is a set of gliders. Classes can
be defined by describing the gliders that are allowed in the class or
by naming the gliders that are allowed in the class. IGC, among
others, defines classes. IGC use the first method for defining five
classes and the second method for defining two classes, one of which
is the Club Class.

My question is:

Are there any countries in the world that run national championships
in the IGC-defined Club Class?

Sorry it wasn't clear before.

-Pat
Old January 28th 10, 07:20 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Andreas Maurer

On Thu, 28 Jan 2010 10:46:06 -0800 (PST), Pat Russell
wrote:

My question is:

Are there any countries in the world that run national championships
in the IGC-defined Club Class?

Yup.
Lots.

Old January 28th 10, 07:38 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Pete[_6_]

Pat Russell wrote:

My understanding is that a "class" is a set of gliders. Classes can
be defined by describing the gliders that are allowed in the class or
by naming the gliders that are allowed in the class. IGC, among
others, defines classes. IGC use the first method for defining five
classes and the second method for defining two classes, one of which
is the Club Class.
-Pat

Read sc3 of the FAI sporting code (http://www.fai.org/gliding/sc3).
Where does it "name" club class gliders?

7.7.6 Club Class
The purpose of the Club Class is to preserve the value of older high
performance gliders, to provide inexpensive but high quality
international championships, and to enable pilots who do not have access
to gliders of the highest standard of performance to take part in
contests at the highest levels.

a. ENTRY The only limitation on entry of a glider into a Club Class
competition is that it is within the range of handicap factors agreed
for the competition.

Old January 28th 10, 08:36 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Pat Russell[_2_]

Pete, thank you for your enlightening point. The gliders named in the
Sporting Code

http://www.fai.org/gliding/sporting_code/sc3a , Appendix 3

define the Club Class for World and Continental Championships, only.

Apparently, according to SC3 7.7.6a, any glider can be considered a
Club Class glider, as long as it is acceptable to the local
sanctioning authority. There is no mandatory relationship between the
sets of gliders that are allowed in any pair of contests. They are
all the Club Class.

Thank you for pointing this out.

The Club Class seems like more of a concept than a class. It sure is
different from the others.

I guess the USA Sports Class is the Club Class, after all.

-Pat

Read sc3 of the FAI sporting code (http://www.fai.org/gliding/sc3).
Where does it "name" club class gliders?

7.7.6 Club Class
The purpose of the Club Class is to preserve the value of older high
performance gliders, to provide inexpensive but high quality
international championships, and to enable pilots who do not have access
to gliders of the highest standard of performance to take part in
contests at the highest levels.

a. ENTRY The only limitation on entry of a glider into a Club Class
competition is that it is within the range of handicap factors agreed
for the competition.

Club class/Sports class Sam Giltner[_1_] Soaring 7 September 28th 08 12:17 AM
Club Class vs. Sports Class noel.wade Soaring 28 September 25th 08 02:52 AM
SPORTS CLASS/CLUB CLASS 5 ugly Soaring 0 July 2nd 06 11:14 PM
Does USA need a Club Class? MC Soaring 42 April 7th 05 08:07 PM
UK Open Class and Club Class Nationals - Lasham Steve Dutton Soaring 0 August 6th 03 10:07 PM