OUDIE

Old September 15th 16, 09:45 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tango Eight

Default OUDIE

On Thursday, September 15, 2016 at 3:38:59 PM UTC-4, wrote:
On Thursday, September 15, 2016 at 1:14:16 PM UTC-5, Tango Eight wrote:
I'll surely offend someone here :-).

There are better solutions out there now.

I used the 302 + WinPilot combo in 2008. It worked fine. I gave up on WP when it became clear that Jerry wasn't going to fix some issues that were truly vexing and wouldn't answer email from a paying subscriber. I did miss the thermal optimizer... I never really bonded with the 302 vario by itself.

If you are allergic to anything that smacks of commercial content, go ahead and turn the page now please...

ClearNav CNv's response is such that you probably don't need a centering tool at all. It's nearly "seat of the pants" fast, but doesn't get jittery like many electronic varios do when set to small time constants. You really have to see this in action to appreciate how good it is. If you do want/like a thermal centering device, there's one built into CNvXC that works very well indeed. WP was in my opinion "the centering tool that actually worked"... and CNvXC is better still. As with WP, there are audio cues for centering.

Ask anyone that owns one (best with most recent updates).

Evan Ludeman @ CNi

Evan, I actually agree with my many friends and ClearNav afficionados (BB is one of them) that you have an excellent product. I sometimes get beaten by them flying the dreaded Area Task which ClearNav seems to handle beautifully, WinPilot not so much. Maybe in my next glider - but my wife thinks I'm doing just fine in the one I fly, have to land out more!
Herb

Hi Herb,

Thanks for the kind words. Btw, just to clarify (because it'll be counter intuitive to a WP user): the thermal assistant I refer to above is part of our variometer, not the flight computer.

See you at New Castle. I'll do my best to bring some good weather.

-Evan
Old September 16th 16, 01:53 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Sean[_2_]

I just updated my 29 panel this spring from an SN10/Ilec vario linked to an Oudie to a new panel with a CN2 with the CN NAV vario (square with red buttons) and a LXNav S10 (new all in one, Nav, Task, Flarm, AHRS, IGC Oogger, etc) as a "backup." Backup is a silly description as the S10 is extremely capable as well in a 57mm package.

I have experience with the butterfly vario, V7, 302, XCSoar, of course the SN10 and several others not worth mentioning.

The CN "Nav" Vario (again, the square one with red buttons) is absolutely incredible. Simple to use, extremely accurate and seems very stable in bubbly, gusty, difficult thermals. I seem to be climbing better and more importantly, running much better. To me this means more accurate netto and speed to fly. It's the best vario I have ever used. I can't say exactly why I believe this, but I believe it. The S10 Vario is also very good, but I favor the cn vario as it integrates well with the CN2 and is very intuitive. I also had a small technical problem with the S10 (one of the very first delivered) that caused me to disregard it and favor the CN vario (which was flawless). So I don't have the same confidence in the LXNav S10 yet other than to say it is really cool and does anything and everything I could ever need. The thermal centering tool is incredible on the CN Vario (and the S10).

The Oudie is OK at best. It MUST be tied into a pressure sensor to be worth anything at all. I was sceptacle of these "full" soaring computers such as the LX9000 and CN2 before switching. But it has been an eye opener for me. Sure there was learning curve. In my case the CN2 is very easy to learn (unlike the LX9000...just ask anyone who uses one, they'll tell you). But once you do master these instrument/flight computers you will have a much more relaxed flight with quicker access to better information.

The SN10 is probably still the best overall simple navigation instrument for the money (I have one for sale, ;-)) although it also can be a challenge to learn and master. But it's ILEC vario (ILEC) leaves something to be desired in comparison to the CN Vario (or the LX).

Hopefully this has some value for someone out there.

Sean
Old September 16th 16, 04:21 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Renny[_2_]

On Thursday, September 15, 2016 at 6:53:38 PM UTC-6, Sean wrote:
[...]

For the record, I agree with Sean 100% on the CN LCD Vario with the thermal assistant. This is the first season I used it and I knew pretty quickly that it was going to be the BEST vario I have ever used. I have been at this sport for awhile, having owned 6 sailplanes and having experience with many varios over 4+ decades, and the CN LCD Vario has proven itself to be truly outstanding. I definitely need all the help I can get and this vario really helps me out especially on those days when those New Mexico thermals are rough and difficult to center. So, if you are in the market, you will not go wrong with this vario.
Thanks - Renny
Old September 16th 16, 04:40 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
xcnick

I am happy with the CNv. Flew my whole life (40,000 miles) with steam gauges so that is all I have for experience. When I bought my new glider with the 302 I always envied I thought there was something wrong with me for not liking it. I was so confused I turned it off when low. Traded in the 302 after 80 hours of frustration and am happy with the CNv XC right out of the box. I also have the oudie and xcsoar on the phone... meh. Maybe if I flew new places a map would be good.
Old September 16th 16, 03:34 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
6PK

On Thursday, September 15, 2016 at 5:53:38 PM UTC-7, Sean wrote:
[...]

Ok folks, I guess just a naïve question; If one were to consider buying the CN XC vario ( not with the full blown TV set), I know it will work and talk to the Oudie but than how about XCSoar or Top Hat? These two do not show a compability to CN however they do work well with the 302.
So my question is, did anyone tried the 302 connection through XCSoar ? (Something tells me that there is some relation between the 302 and CN?)
Old September 16th 16, 03:54 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Matt Johnston

Sorry to hijack slightly but to those of you who own an Oudie would
you recommend it? I'm looking to buy one early next year as I need a
navigation unit that I can easily transfer between gliders.

Old September 16th 16, 04:09 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
K m

On Friday, September 16, 2016 at 9:00:14 AM UTC-6, Matt Johnston wrote:
Sorry to hijack slightly but to those of you who own an Oudie would
you recommend it? I'm looking to buy one early next year as I need a
navigation unit that I can easily transfer between gliders.

Matt,
Ive owned the Oudie since they were first sold in this country. Alot depends on what you are trying to do and what software you are running. Many people purchase the SYM lifetime license (And I think you can get a break on See You if you purchase at the same time).
The "Sunlight" Oudie is popular and works well for people who fly a number of ships.
Old September 16th 16, 04:43 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

On 9/16/2016 8:34 AM, 6PK wrote:

Ok folks, I guess just a naïve question; If one were to consider buying the CN XC vario ( not with the full blown TV set), I know it will work and talk to the Oudie but than how about XCSoar or Top Hat? These two do not show a compability to CN however they do work well with the 302.
So my question is, did anyone tried the 302 connection through XCSoar ? (Something tells me that there is some relation between the 302 and CN?)

I have used XCSoar for about 5 years now and am completely happy with
it. Last year I traded my 302 for a CNvXC vario. Since the CN uses an
RJ-45 connector for its serial port I needed to buy a new cable to feed
my K6BT serial to Bluetooth converter. I got that from Cumulus
Soaring. The CNvXC worked perfectly with XCSoar once I replaced the
DB-9 to K6BT cable with the RJ-45 to K6BT cable.

You'll be very happy with the combination.
--
Dan, 5J
Old September 16th 16, 05:45 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
K m

On Friday, September 16, 2016 at 8:34:16 AM UTC-6, 6PK wrote:
[...]

6PK,
If you are looking for just the Vario, Take a look at LXNav as well. http://www.lxnav.com/products/lxnav-varios.html
I went through the selection process a couple of years ago and I liked the CN computer (Except for the silly "Glide ameba") but the LX varios were vastly superior. Good luck.
Old September 16th 16, 05:52 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
George Haeh

I didn't find the Thermal Assistant helpful.
Instead I zoom to 1 mile radius and keep
an eye on the vario breadcrumb trail.

This also works nice in localised wave
with the advantage that wave tends to
stay put more than thermals when the
wind is blowing.

The Air Glide S shows instantaneous wind
really nicely. It would be great if it sent
wind to the Oudie so you could see wind
vectors on the Oudie track, but it looks like
you have to buy an Air Glide M or L (and
do major panel re-engineering to get it in).

Oudie IGC Dave Springford Soaring 4 November 12th 13 08:52 PM
Oudie Peter von Tresckow Soaring 2 December 18th 11 01:31 PM
Oudie and 302 Stephen[_3_] Soaring 9 November 2nd 11 05:07 AM
Oudie Steve Hunt Soaring 2 July 8th 11 12:19 AM
oudie Steve Hunt[_2_] Soaring 0 July 7th 11 08:58 AM