Tire Stiffness & trailer swaying

Old October 2nd 03, 09:20 PM
tango4

I hate you!

Ian

"Clint" wrote in message
om...
Bruce - forget the tow vehicle - have you seen the weather forecast
for the weekend for the Free State. 32 deg C - Sunny. Considering they
are predicting 5m/s thermals and 16000ft thermal tops for today and it
is just 27 deg C - the weekend should be even better. Isn't it great
that summer is almost here!! (Sorry to all those in the north who have
a bleak winter to look forward to - maybe use the SUV to get through
the snow to the ski resorts).

Clinton
LAK 12 (who needs a smallish SUV to tow the largest trailer out there
- but also tow it with my 1.6 Golf)

Old October 20th 03, 04:47 PM
Tim

I've wimped out ... and bought an Audi 80 Estate to tow with. So I've
still got the 106, the 20 and the wife ... now if I can make her buy
the 106 eg

"Jose M. Alvarez" s comments read:

Definite.
Mondeo and ASW-20
Wonder why you ever had a doubt.

"Tim" escribió en el mensaje
.. .
Graeme Cant s comments read:

Tim wrote:
Cheers!

I've decided that the combination isn't the best.

So do I trade the 20 for a PW5? Or do I sell the wife and get a Mondeo
????

Post photos of all four and we'll help you decide.

ASW20
http://www.gliderforum.com/photos/sh...9&currentpos=3

PW5
http://www.hotornot.com/r/?eid=N8KRKES&key=WPU

Wife
http://my.tenforward.com/rozebud/button/2/kysmy.jpg

Mondeo
http://www.tiscali.co.uk/motoring/ro...test_14_1.html

So what do you think?
--
Tim - ASW20CL "20"

--
Tim - ASW20CL "20"
Old October 22nd 03, 03:51 AM
chris

Here is the feedback on my trailer towing problem.
I thought I'd make a detailed write up to share what I learned with
others.

I was waiting until I gave a real towing trip as proof that this fix
worked. I recently drove from Atlanta up to the Sequatchie Valley in
TN. This included highway driving as well as crossing Signal Mountain
on a steep winding road. The Forester XT now is a good safe tow
vehicle. The turbocharged engine is really powerful, during hill
climbs I had to downshift not because it was too weak, but because it
wanted to race up the hills.

As I suspected it was indeed the tires at fault. For some reasons
the auto manufacturers insist on pinching pennies and putting on lousy
tires when for ~$20 of cost to them they could impress their customers
with a much higher quality ride.

The original tires were Yokohama Geolander G900 P215/60 R16 94H.
These are really poor quality, I suspect that they are the very
minimum standard of the H speed rating. This is an all season tire.

I replaced them with Toyo Proxes TPT P225/55 R16 95V.
These are much higher quality overall, [as well as the ratings for
treadwear, temperature & traction]. The key was switching from poor
"H" to good "V" rated tires. This gave a much stiffer sidewall.
The tire size is also 10mm wider [225 vs 215 with a 5% shorter
sidewall 55 vs 60]. [2% net reduction in diameter].
The tread compound is also harder, more like a sports car tire.

All these changes eliminated the uncontrolled harmonic
swaying/fishtailing that I experienced when towing my trailer with the
tall tires on the tow vehicle. During normal driving the ride is
stiffer, this is fine with me, the cornering is much improved.

Years ago I read that every force your car generates, acceleration,
braking and cornering etc. is transmitted through the tires - don't
skimp, they are one of the most components of the vehicle.
My advice to others that are experiencing swaying:
Invest in good quality tires.
Upgrade the speed rating to get a stiffer sidewall. [from S or T to H,
from H to V]
Consider shortening the sidewall with a lower ratio.
Increase the tire pressure.

Other advice that helped included lowering the hitch position and
shortening the hitch to reduce the distance from the ball to the rear
axle. Tongue weight is critical, 150lbs, around 10% works for me.

ok, I'm done typing, lets go fly!
regards,
Chris

Eberle trailer wheel rims Bob Soaring 7 November 25th 11 05:39 PM
Tire question Jay Honeck Owning 30 February 8th 05 07:55 PM
Stiffness of finished Carbon Fiber part RKT Home Built 3 April 8th 04 02:00 PM
Trailer towing safety CH Soaring 9 August 13th 03 05:45 PM