Ilec SN 10 or LX 7000

Old October 16th 03, 04:48 PM
Dave Kuchenbecker

Default Ilec SN 10 or LX 7000

Anyone have experience with both systems that can give me some feed
back on features, ease of installation and ease of use in flight.

Thanks

Dave
Old October 17th 03, 04:37 PM
Marcel Duenner

(Dave Kuchenbecker) wrote in message . com...
Anyone have experience with both systems that can give me some feed
back on features, ease of installation and ease of use in flight.

Thanks

Dave

Have not flown with an LX7000 yet, flew for about 50 hours with a
LX5000 and own a LX20. Have a few 100 hours on SN10.

Advantages of the LX over Ilec:
- available as FAI certified logger, with Ilec it's always an add-on
solution.
- The multi-functional round display is excellent. (Dave N.: when will
Ilec have one available?) It means you can move around on different
pages and still have a lot of vario related info available.
- main nav infos (ground speed, bearing, track, distance) on the
moving map page (Ilec has no numbers on moving map page)
- easier to learn and get used to in the beginning due to less and
better organised pages.

Advantages of Ilec SN10 over LX:
- probably better/faster vario
- best and fastest wind estimation of any instrument I know (judged on
in-flight comparison over radio)
- new display of the SN10B ist excellent
- by far superior for cats cradle type tasks and area tasks. You
simlpy add the next TPs you want to the list and go for it and the
Instrument will tell you your Expected Time to Finish at the current
MC-setting as opposed to LX where you have to 1) write down all the
TPs you visited and 2) guess (=input) your average speed till finish
to get the time around max. 1 TP. Can someone please correct me on
this point since it might have changed from the LX5000/LX20 to the
LX7000.
- easier/faster in-flight manipulation of turnpoints for area tasks

Dunno about prices, depends on where you live and what setup you want
(FAI or no)

Regards
Marcel
Old October 18th 03, 09:25 AM
Marcel Duenner

(Marcel Duenner) wrote in message . com...
[...]

Just remembered a thread on gliderforum.com on "Best Flight Computer"
where I wrote:

Main disadvantages of the LX5000 a you need a portable computer to
download flights and after sales service by Filser is generally crap.
Depends on your local dealer, though.

Main disadvantage of the SN10 is a flaw in the concept regarding
database management. If you always fly in the same area you probably
won't even notice. But it is a bit annoying for flying comps in
different areas. The problem is that the waypoints are in the same
file as the airspace and airports. So you have to fiddle around in a
text editor and add the airspace before you can upload your comp
waypoints to the instrument. I don'l like messing around in databases.
Old October 20th 03, 02:36 PM
Andrej Kolar

Hi Marcel,

I'll disagree with you on these points:
- by far superior for cats cradle type tasks and area tasks.
- easier/faster in-flight manipulation of turnpoints for area tasks

LX 7000 has everything you need for the Area tasks. Flew against you in
Leszno without a Pocket PC in cockpit, just LX 7000. It's all the
.. Waypoints can be moved free inside areas
.. When moving, there is a figure telling you the remaining distance and
speed you need to fly until finish
.. Statistics for the "moved" task and each leg
There's more but these are the main points. All this is new to LX 7000 and
not available in 5000.

Haven't flown Area tasks with SN10, but have about 80 hours cross-country
with one and It's a very good vario/computer as well. I'll agree with you on
what's left in the pro/cons of both computers.

Regards,
Andrej Kolar

om...

Old October 21st 03, 06:46 AM
Marcel Duenner

"Andrej Kolar" wrote in message ...
Hi Marcel,

I'll disagree with you on these points:
- by far superior for cats cradle type tasks and area tasks.
- easier/faster in-flight manipulation of turnpoints for area tasks

LX 7000 has everything you need for the Area tasks. Flew against you in
Leszno without a Pocket PC in cockpit, just LX 7000.

Oh, and I thought I was the only one left without a PDA... :-)

As I mentioned, I don't know the details of improvement the LX7000 has over 5000.

Regards
Marcel
Old October 21st 03, 06:53 AM
Adnan H. Mirza

Hi guys,

Can either of you elaborate on how the SN 10 estimates wind speed?
I've heard that it's pretty good and fast for this. Does it have a
built in mag compass?

Thanks

Old October 21st 03, 07:54 AM
Andrej Kolar

I thought I was the only one

Here's more about the 7000: http://www.lxnavigation.si/lx7000proigc.htm

Andrej

Old October 22nd 03, 12:38 AM
Bill Daniels

"Mike Borgelt" wrote in message
On 20 Oct 2003 22:53:12 -0700, (Adnan H. Mirza)
wrote:

Hi guys,

Can either of you elaborate on how the SN 10 estimates wind speed?
I've heard that it's pretty good and fast for this. Does it have a
built in mag compass?

Thanks

You don't need a magnetic compass to get wind speed and direction.
You have GPS ground track and speed and TASat any given point. If you
do another GPS ground track/speed and TAS at a nearby point but on a
different ground track and make the assumption that the wind has not
changed you have enough information to solve the two wind triangles.
In practice you need set some traps for the odd bad result and do a
little averaging to get a sensible result but 10 seconds or so if the
GPS is coming in at 1 Hz is acceptable. This works even if you aren't
circling but are figure eighting or zig zagging which is why we call
it the zig zag wind in the B2000. You get a good wind estimate in half
a circle or so when thermalling.

You can always get a wind component in the direction you are going by
doing a difference between the TAS and Groundspeed. This is
essentially in real time.

You can see the B2000 manual at our website
www.borgeltinstruments.com

Mike Borgelt

Mike, when wave or even ridge flying an accurate winds aloft readout would
be very helpful. Under these conditions I find that long periods may go by
with little change in heading. There are certainly times that I wouldn't
want to zig zag just to get a wind estimate even though wind information
would be very interesting.

Just how hard would it be to get accurate heading information? Are there
heading sensors available that would do a reasonable job?

BTW, I do read your web site and find it very interesting. (Changing the
font on the articles to Ariel would make them more readable on computer
screens, however.)

Bill Daniels