Interesting new solar glider

Old August 23rd 18, 01:49 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
AS

Default Interesting new solar glider

Just reposting here what is being discussed on the German forum. Looks like an electrified Sparrow-Hawk.

https://www.byeaerospace.com/bye-aer...es-1st-flight/

Here are some pictures of the maiden flight:

https://newatlas.com/bye-aerospace-s...55969/#gallery

Interesting development ...

Uli
'AS'
Old August 23rd 18, 02:20 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Matt Herron Jr.

On Wednesday, August 22, 2018 at 5:49:19 PM UTC-7, AS wrote:
Just reposting here what is being discussed on the German forum. Looks like an electrified Sparrow-Hawk.

https://www.byeaerospace.com/bye-aer...es-1st-flight/

Here are some pictures of the maiden flight:

https://newatlas.com/bye-aerospace-s...55969/#gallery

Interesting development ...

Uli
'AS'

Both links appear to be broken...
Old August 23rd 18, 03:36 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
kinsell

On 08/22/2018 07:20 PM, Matt Herron Jr. wrote:
On Wednesday, August 22, 2018 at 5:49:19 PM UTC-7, AS wrote:
Just reposting here what is being discussed on the German forum. Looks like an electrified Sparrow-Hawk.

https://www.byeaerospace.com/bye-aer...es-1st-flight/

Here are some pictures of the maiden flight:

https://newatlas.com/bye-aerospace-s...55969/#gallery

Interesting development ...

Uli
'AS'

Both links appear to be broken...

First link has some content, if you scroll down. At least for me. Top
level of website is https://www.byeaerospace.com/

I think they're promoting this more as an electric airplane, rather than
a motorized glider. 2000 watts isn't much to keep a two-place airplane
in the air.
Old August 23rd 18, 03:47 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
AS

On Wednesday, August 22, 2018 at 8:49:19 PM UTC-4, AS wrote:
Just reposting here what is being discussed on the German forum. Looks like an electrified Sparrow-Hawk.

https://www.byeaerospace.com/bye-aer...es-1st-flight/

Here are some pictures of the maiden flight:

https://newatlas.com/bye-aerospace-s...55969/#gallery

Interesting development ...

Uli
'AS'

Hmmm... they did work for me initially but let's try that again:

https://www.byeaerospace.com/bye-aer...es-1st-flight/

https://newatlas.com/bye-aerospace-s...55969/#gallery

Hope these work.

Uli
'AS'
Old August 23rd 18, 11:24 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Martin Gregorie[_6_]

On Wed, 22 Aug 2018 19:47:20 -0700, AS wrote:

On Wednesday, August 22, 2018 at 8:49:19 PM UTC-4, AS wrote:
Just reposting here what is being discussed on the German forum. Looks
like an electrified Sparrow-Hawk.

https://www.byeaerospace.com/bye-aer...es-1st-flight/

Here are some pictures of the maiden flight:

https://newatlas.com/bye-aerospace-s...55969/#gallery

Interesting development ...

Uli 'AS'

Hmmm... they did work for me initially but let's try that again:

https://www.byeaerospace.com/bye-aer...-stratoairnet-

prototype-completes-1st-flight/

https://newatlas.com/bye-aerospace-s...-flight/55969/

#gallery

Hope these work.

Thanks for reposting the links. To me it looks like a modified Sparrowhawk
with a new, bigger, 15m wing.

--
Martin | martin at
Gregorie | gregorie dot org
Old August 23rd 18, 12:52 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Emir Sherbi

El miércoles, 22 de agosto de 2018, 23:36:42 (UTC-3), kinsell escribió:
On 08/22/2018 07:20 PM, Matt Herron Jr. wrote:
On Wednesday, August 22, 2018 at 5:49:19 PM UTC-7, AS wrote:
Just reposting here what is being discussed on the German forum. Looks like an electrified Sparrow-Hawk.

https://www.byeaerospace.com/bye-aer...es-1st-flight/

Here are some pictures of the maiden flight:

https://newatlas.com/bye-aerospace-s...55969/#gallery

Interesting development ...

Uli
'AS'

Both links appear to be broken...

First link has some content, if you scroll down. At least for me. Top
level of website is https://www.byeaerospace.com/

I think they're promoting this more as an electric airplane, rather than
a motorized glider. 2000 watts isn't much to keep a two-place airplane
in the air.

Yes, 2kW is not much energy.
But consider that in high altitude that ship could need only 4-5kW to maintain a sustained flight. With clear sky and in noon you can save as much as the half of the battery's energy.

Old August 23rd 18, 02:31 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Michael Opitz

https://www.byeaerospace.com/bye-aer...olar-electric-

https://newatlas.com/bye-aerospace-stratoairnet-first-

flight/55969/
#gallery

Hope these work.

Thanks for reposting the links. To me it looks like a modified

Sparrowhawk
with a new, bigger, 15m wing.

--
Martin | martin at
Gregorie | gregorie dot org

15 meter wing? Sounds like a Duck Hawk to me...

RO

Old August 23rd 18, 03:17 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
kinsell

On 08/23/2018 05:52 AM, Emir Sherbi wrote:
[...]

4-5KW is about 6 HP. I think 20 is a better number than 6 for sustaining.

Clear sky at noon, middle of the summer, with none of that California
smoke drifting into Colorado, and you still won't see much benefit from
that 2KW in the air (assuming they really get 2 KW). Maybe recharging
on the ground is what they're going after.
Old August 23rd 18, 03:56 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Martin Gregorie[_6_]

On Thu, 23 Aug 2018 13:31:44 +0000, Michael Opitz wrote:

At 10:24 23 August 2018, Martin Gregorie wrote:
Thanks for reposting the links. To me it looks like a modified
Sparrowhawk with a new, bigger, 15m wing.

15 meter wing? Sounds like a Duck Hawk to me...

Agreed.

I thought that was a Sparrowhawk tail group and that the Duckhawk had a
different one. But, I found a Duckhawk picture just now and saw I wuz
wrong.

BTW, I thought there'd be a lot of Duckhawks flying on your side of the
pond by now, but they seem to have almost vanished without trace (just 4
registered?) despite an initial good competition showing. Why is that?

--
Martin | martin at
Gregorie | gregorie dot org
Old August 23rd 18, 04:21 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Emir Sherbi

El jueves, 23 de agosto de 2018, 11:18:07 (UTC-3), kinsell escribió:
[...]

Its almost a glider... 5kW is a good number for sustained flight.
Luka´s FES system uses 4kW, you can check it out in videos and brochures.

RTW Solar Impulse 2 Kilo-Bravo Soaring 5 March 17th 15 08:17 AM
solar glider video Peter Scholz[_2_] Soaring 8 September 21st 10 02:40 PM
Solar Flight Much more interesting than Hilarious Video Richard[_1_] Soaring 0 December 5th 08 05:07 PM
Interesting thread in Rec.av.homebuilt about using plywood toform glider Shawn Home Built 2 April 11th 05 08:28 PM
Solar Turbines [email protected] Rotorcraft 2 January 16th 05 02:30 PM