cleared, then busted

Old November 17th 03, 07:11 PM
virga

Default cleared, then busted

http://www.avweb.com/eletter/archive.../148-full.html
I guess we shouldn't be surprised, but wow!

Old November 17th 03, 07:56 PM
Paul Tomblin

In a previous article, virga said:
http://www.avweb.com/eletter/archive.../148-full.html
I guess we shouldn't be surprised, but wow!

"Our federal government has put together a set of dysfunctional operating
procedures based upon intellectually dishonest assumptions and delivered
with a big degree of institutional arrogance," he said.

So business as usual, then?

--
Paul Tomblin http://xcski.com/blogs/pt/
It's not 'I don't do Windows', it's 'I know nothing about Windows,
Old November 17th 03, 08:30 PM
Jay Honeck

Unbelievable.

What a screwed up mess.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old November 17th 03, 09:21 PM
Ron Natalie

"Jay Honeck" wrote in message news:Zdaub.28610$Dw6.140203@attbi_s02...
Unbelievable.

What a screwed up mess.
--

Now you're catching on!

Old November 17th 03, 09:47 PM
Tom S.

"Jay Honeck" wrote in message
Unbelievable.

What a screwed up mess.

Are you kidding? It's entirely believable.

Old November 17th 03, 10:08 PM
Snowbird

virga wrote in message ...
http://www.avweb.com/eletter/archive.../148-full.html
I guess we shouldn't be surprised, but wow!

Well, frankly, I suspect a goodly number of those 600 incursions involve
a similar kind of systemic screw up. I've heard, for example, of pilots
being instructed to squawk VFR before landing or before actually exiting
the ADIZ, then having to account for themselves as an "incursion".

Ugh.
Sydney
Old November 17th 03, 10:09 PM
Michael 182

Just to give some credit where it's due...

I flew up to Rapid City today and asked approach to vector me as close as
they could to Mt. Rushmore. They were very friendly, cautioned me about the
restricted area around the monument, and vectored and suggested altitudes to
get as close as was reasonably possible without risking getting busted. Did
a nice job. (Still not a great view. Really need to land to see the faces
well.)

Seems that on a one on one basis I usually get excellent service from
controllers, but on a buearacratic level, such as the one described in this
link, it gets crazy.

Michael

Old November 17th 03, 10:23 PM
Steven P. McNicoll

"Michael 182" wrote in message

I flew up to Rapid City today and asked approach to vector me as close as
they could to Mt. Rushmore. They were very friendly, cautioned me about

the
restricted area around the monument, and vectored and suggested altitudes

get as close as was reasonably possible without risking getting busted.

Did
a nice job. (Still not a great view. Really need to land to see the faces
well.)

A Restricted Area around Mt. Rushmore? That sounds dangerous to me, and
harmful to the monument too.

Old November 17th 03, 10:29 PM
Michael 182

Maybe I'm using the wrong term, but the controller referred to it as
restricted. 700' vertical, 2000' horizontal... What should it be called?

ink.net...

Old November 17th 03, 10:46 PM
Steven P. McNicoll

Maybe I'm using the wrong term, but the controller referred to it as
restricted. 700' vertical, 2000' horizontal... What should it be called?

Restricted Areas are established for security reasons or to contain
hazardous activities, such as bombing and gunnery ranges. Mt. Rushmore is
in the Black Elk Wilderness Area, both are charted on the Cheyenne
sectional. Non-emergency landings are prohibited in Wilderness Areas, but
flight in them is not strictly prohibited. Aircraft are requested to
maintain a minimum altitude of 2,000 feet AGL while overflying them.