A aviation & planes forum. AviationBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » AviationBanter forum » rec.aviation newsgroups » Soaring
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Komet Trailer - Failsafe in case strut(s) fail

Old July 28th 15, 05:43 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

Default Komet Trailer - Failsafe in case strut(s) fail

Has anyone developed a brace or clamp that would support the clamshell if the structs failed or perhaps worse, if one failed? I'm quite nervous, considering the weight of the clamshell and the damage that could be done while the sailplane is in the cradle. I liked the simplicity of the Eberle trailer when I had my Libelle.

Thank, Rick
Old July 29th 15, 04:22 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Ramy[_2_]
external usenet poster

I am more concerned about my neck whenever I stick it inside the trailer. Looks like the perfect guillotine to me. Did anyone heard of a sudden total failure of the struts?

Ramy
Old July 29th 15, 08:06 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tango Whisky
external usenet poster

Am Dienstag, 28. Juli 2015 18:43:31 UTC+2 schrieb :
Has anyone developed a brace or clamp that would support the clamshell if the structs failed or perhaps worse, if one failed? I'm quite nervous, considering the weight of the clamshell and the damage that could be done while the sailplane is in the cradle. I liked the simplicity of the Eberle trailer when I had my Libelle.

Thank, Rick

I once had a sudden strut failure on my trailer when I opened it. There was a hiss from one of the struts, and I needed my buddy to open it completely (and hold it open). I guess that if it fails in the open position, the top would come down quite fast.
On my trailer, I can close the top while the glider sits in its craddle; the ramp is just long enough.
The guy next to my trailer doesn't trust his struts (he just bought a used trailer) and blocks the top with two wooden rods (maybe 2.5 m long) against the ground.

Bert
Ventus cM TW
Old July 29th 15, 01:53 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Steve Leonard[_2_]
external usenet poster

I recently had a strut "blowout" on a Cobra for an AS-H25. Fortunately, it was just after closing the trailer. Sounded like I had just stuck a knife into a tire.

The general failure mode, however, is gradual loss of pressure. They get to where they don't help lift and won't keep the top open. If one does fail catastrophically, you should have time to react and get yourself out of the way. But your plane, if anything is in the path, may not fair so well. And if you are looking for a brace to handle the catastrophic, it needs to be hella stout, as they will likely get several hundred pounds of force on them, and not necessarily a straight down load, if one goes a bit before the other.

Steve Leonard
Old July 29th 15, 02:39 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

On Tuesday, July 28, 2015 at 11:43:31 AM UTC-5, wrote:

Thank, Rick

If you are really concerned about that, carry a broomstick that is cut to the correct length to fit between the U-channel top and the bottom of the inside. Wedge it in first thing after opening the trailer. Doing it on one side is enough, the top will twist if the other spring gives out but it will not collapse.
Herb
Old July 29th 15, 02:44 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Mark628CA
external usenet poster

Most newer Cobra trailers have a little-known feature that can hold the top open if the gas struts have gotten weak or if there is a load of snow or ice weighing down the top. The square steel tube that houses the gas strut often has a small (1/8 to 3/16) diameter hole near the junction of the inner and outer tubes. A pin placed through this hole will prevent the two tubes from telescoping and adds a measure of security if the top has a tendency to sag.
Old July 29th 15, 10:22 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jim Crawford
external usenet poster

We recently replaced the struts on our clamshell trailer as they
were getting rather soft and we were starting to rely on the
broomstick solution. My syndicate partner sourced replacement
struts which came with a standard option of a spring loaded
fitting which popped when the strut was fully extended, locking it
solid by preventing the telescopic action. The lock is easily reset
to close the lid. It seems to be a common option on gas struts
and, being self contained, needs no mods or extra pins. Well
worth the small extra cost over the standard strut.

Jim

At 13:44 29 July 2015, Mark628CA wrote:
Most newer Cobra trailers have a little-known feature that can

hold the
top=
open if the gas struts have gotten weak or if there is a load of

snow or
i=
ce weighing down the top. The square steel tube that houses

the gas strut
o=
ften has a small (1/8 to 3/16) diameter hole near the junction