'Renting' my plane.

Old September 10th 05, 06:29 PM
N93332

"Blanche Cohen" wrote in message
Any A&P can sign off the 100 hour. Takes an IA for an annual.

Other than what George said above above, isn't the question a given? A
rental/commercial is required to have 100hr inspections and a private
non-commercial only requires an annual.

Not only that, but has the topic of insurance been mentioned yet? It'll
be 3-4 times what you pay if the aircraft is not on a lease-back.

As far as the 100 hour inspection, it'll depend on if me and my 'renters'
fly my Ercoupe over 100 hours total per year. At this time my plane is
hangared in St James, MN (JYG) and my sport pilot friend and me live in
Fairmont (FRM) so it's a 30 minute drive up to the airport to do any flying
for either of us. My cousin (CFI/ATP) is in Sioux Falls so he won't be
borrowing my plane very often either.My cousin says he wants to borrow my
plane occasionally, maybe 20-30 hours a year. My other friend with the
expired medical wants to fly it under Sport rules and said he'd probably
only fly about 10 hours a year, mostly during summer months and with a CFI
the first few hours each year. Even if I (eventually) do some Sport pilot
training in my plane, I doubt that all of us together will put over 100
hours per year but I'll keep an eye on it and get a 100 hour inspection as
needed.

I checked my insurance policy and it says that I can allow any current
pilot to fly my plane but I don't want to get into the 'rental'
insurance costs.

That's why my friends want to borrow the plane from me and not 'rent' the
plane. I might have to 'club' the plane and add my friends' names to the
insurance policy.

-Greg B.

Old September 12th 05, 03:34 PM
N93332

"Dave Butler" wrote in message

Don't forget to do your 100hr inspections if you rent. Test question
- what's the difference between a 100hr and an Annual?

Since you didn't include any context I'm not sure what you're responding
to, and I haven't read the whole thread, but...

renting, by itself, does not constitute commercial use, and therefore does
not require 100 hour inspections.

I'm the OP and I originally asked about lending my plane to my friends to
fly occasionally. Not really 'renting' it out but let them borrow it and pay
for the fuel, etc. I then asked about doing Sport Pilot training in my
Ercoupe and that's where the 100 hour inspection concern came up. Looking at
Far 91.409(b) says that a 100 hour inspection is required for instruction in
my plane if I supply the plane. It'll depend on if 100 hours are put on
between annuals.

-Greg B.

Old September 12th 05, 05:16 PM
George Patterson

N93332 wrote:

It'll depend on if 100 hours are put on
between annuals.

Actually, it would depend on whether you put 100 hours on the plane in 6 months
or less. If you put 100 hours on the plane in, say, 8 months, it would pay to
have an IA sign it off as an annual. If you don't, then you're going to have to
have an annual inspection done in 4 more months.

George Patterson
Old September 12th 05, 05:39 PM
N93332

"George Patterson" wrote in message
N93332 wrote:

It'll depend on if 100 hours are put on between annuals.

Actually, it would depend on whether you put 100 hours on the plane in 6
months or less. If you put 100 hours on the plane in, say, 8 months, it
would pay to have an IA sign it off as an annual. If you don't, then
you're going to have to have an annual inspection done in 4 more months.

Thanks, George, for that information! If I do get into instruction in my
Ercoupe, I'll keep track as to whether to get it signed as a 100 hour or
annual depending on the timing and usage.

-Greg B.