The Impossibility of Flying Heavy Aircraft Without Training

Old February 24th 06, 07:49 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.homebuilt,rec.aviation.student

Default The Impossibility of Flying Heavy Aircraft Without Training

"Doug" writes:

Obviously it IS impossible. After all, they did it with three of them
and they ALL CRASHED!!!!

Four.
Old February 24th 06, 08:30 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.homebuilt,rec.aviation.student,alt.politics

Default Very long boring technical discussion of Lift Faries adn Thrust Demons....(NASA)

Jose wrote:
An ostrich after all, with all it's feathers, CAN'T FLY.

Oh, come now. You need to apply mathematical and scientific reasoning.
It's already been experimentally established that it takes two pounds
of feathers to lift ten pounds of Canada goose. An ostrich weighs much
more than ten pounds, but does not have a commensurate amount of
feathers. Feathers are not magical, they operate by strict scientific
principles and an insufficient amount of feathers won't even make a
fruit fly.

If you want to convince me that it's not feathers, do some experiments.
Attach a pound of feathers for every five pounds of ostrich, and toss
the ostriches out of an airplane. Do this a statistically significant
number of times, and then we'll talk turkey.

It's all skyhooks.
and turkeys flying ? snort grunt whistle. coffee runs out nose new
keyboard aaaargh
Where I work there are turkeys and they don't fly :-)

Old February 24th 06, 08:46 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.homebuilt,rec.aviation.student

"Richard Lamb" wrote ...
At near 10 stone, I'd need to collect only 40 pounds of (pretty!) feathers

and
I'd be able to fly just like Peter Pan. Finally, a life long dream

realized!

Richard,

As further proof that Chuck's theory doesn't work, I tried an experiment
this morning. I took a pillow off my bed. It is mostly feathers, after
all. To give it a proper test, I hiked up the Ebey's Landing Bluff Trail to
the edge of the cliff. Having great faith in Chuck and fully expecting my
pillow to soar up over my head, I give that pillow a good strong toss ...
Nope. It went staight down. Splat! Right into the Puget Sound.

Thanks to Chuck, I'll be sleeping on a soggy pillow tonight!

Rich

Old February 24th 06, 10:13 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.homebuilt,rec.aviation.student

I give that pillow a good strong toss ...
Nope. It went staight down. Splat!

Did you put the feathers on the =outside= of the pillow? They have to
be outside, in the airflow, to provide any lift at all.

Jose
Old February 24th 06, 10:34 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt,rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student

"Dan" wrote

Would that be akin to a sympathy pluck?

After reading this thread, it has gone down to the depths of reediculous.

Yoo all are plucking nuts, me thinks! g
--
Jim in NC
Old February 24th 06, 11:15 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt,rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student

Dan wrote:
Canal builder wrote:

On 24/2/06 5:58 am, in article ,
"Montblack" wrote:

("ChuckSlusarczyk" wrote)
Therefore I propose that we build a man carrying mechanical Goose to prove
this phenomena.

So, after the test flight, how do you get down from your mechanical goose?

Surely everybody knows you don't get down off a goose, you get down off a
duck (eider for preference).

Would that be akin to a sympathy pluck?

with all these cracks some-one will start leaking :-))

Congratulations ma'am you have met the mechanical goose

Old February 24th 06, 11:29 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.homebuilt,rec.aviation.student

Four.

Well there you go!

Old February 24th 06, 11:29 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.homebuilt,rec.aviation.student

("Morgans" wrote)
Not only that, I'll bet he didn't give the pillow any directions, as to
which direction to fly.

From Roxanne (1987)
Steve Martin and Daryl Hannah

Chris McConnell: Your breasts, they're like melons. No, no, they're like
pillows. Can I fluff your pillows?

Chris McConnell: What am I afraid of her for? She's no rocket scientist.
C.D. Bales: Well, actually, she is a rocket scientist.

Monrblack

Old February 24th 06, 11:32 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.homebuilt,rec.aviation.student

I give that pillow a good strong toss ...
Nope. It went staight down. Splat!

Did you put the feathers on the =outside= of the pillow? They have to
be outside, in the airflow, to provide any lift at all.

Not only that, I'll bet he didn't give the pillow any directions, as to
which direction to fly. The pillow thought it was *supposed* to fly
straight down!
--
Jim in NC

Old February 25th 06, 12:00 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.homebuilt,rec.aviation.student,alt.politics

"Jose" wrote in message t...
snip
Feathers are not magical, they operate by strict scientific
principles and an insufficient amount of feathers won't even make a fruit fly.

snip

Fruit flies have feathers?