Nellis on the Blocks (The upcoming 2005 Base Realignment And Closure)

Old July 18th 03, 10:53 PM
CFA3

Default Nellis on the Blocks (The upcoming 2005 Base Realignment And Closure)

I recently read a report about the next round of base closures, and
was quite surprized to see NELLIS AFB on the list. In many ways I can
see it, in that it is nearly completely encroached upon by Vegas
growth and the size, being relatively small. Currently, there are
issues of security, as well, since you can walk right up to the fence
on the north end and practicaly spit on the a/c as they fly overhead.
(Not that this patriot would do such a thing of course).

Question is, should this happen, where would you move Range training
assets? Tonopah? Build new? Just wondering

C3
http://groomlakeaudubonsociety.netfirms.com
Old July 19th 03, 01:37 AM
S. Sampson

"CFA3" wrote

I recently read a report about the next round of base closures, and
was quite surprized to see NELLIS AFB on the list. In many ways I can
see it, in that it is nearly completely encroached upon by Vegas
growth and the size, being relatively small. Currently, there are
issues of security, as well, since you can walk right up to the fence
on the north end and practicaly spit on the a/c as they fly overhead.
(Not that this patriot would do such a thing of course).

Question is, should this happen, where would you move Range training
assets? Tonopah? Build new? Just wondering

Nevada is in pretty bad shape. Most of the range is under attack by
conservationists and property owners. Teachers and doctors are
fleeing the state, as the first can't buy insurance, and the second can't
afford to live there. Around Nellis you have a bunch of retired people
who flock to the commissary, and then complain about the jet noise
on the golf courses. During the in-briefing you are told to abandon the
jet, rather than overfly a golf course on emergency return. Aim it for the
desert, and give it back to the taxpayers.

Nellis and the red-flag/green-flag program will have to be moved. It is
no longer a viable range do to the politics of the state.

Old July 19th 03, 12:14 PM
John Carrier

That "report" wasn't "2005 Base Closure Recommendations" downloaded and
circulated from the vanity web site g2mil.com was it?

Somehow the guy that runs the site, former (not evidently retired) Marine
Carlton Meyer, has an opinion about most everything military. He wants to
put modified boneyard A-10's (folding wings, hook, launch bar ... as if it
was that simple) on Carriers. He has a lot of other ideas. A few are even
pretty good, but then even a blind squirrel ....

His BRAC recommendations are primarily based on his philosophy that same
bases are too small to be effective, some too large to be efficient, and
some are JUUUSTTT RIGHT (AKA the Goldilocks principle).

What amazes me is that, not unlike the Flight 800 conspiracy crap, the
internet has allowed this loon to achieve legitimacy. His opinion was
circulated by a senior civilian in the Navy department. Let's hope Rummy's
BRAC group (and it will be run under SecDef, not the individual service
departments) isn't so foolish as to accept this a credible.

R / John

om...

Old July 19th 03, 12:59 PM
ArtKramr

Subject: Nellis on the Blocks (The upcoming 2005 Base Realignment And
Closure)
From: "John Carrier"
Date: 7/19/03 4:14 AM Pacific Daylight Time
[...]

"CFA3" wrote in message
. com...
I recently read a report about the next round of base closures, and
was quite surprized to see NELLIS AFB on the list. In many ways I can
see it, in that it is nearly completely encroached upon by Vegas
growth and the size, being relatively small. Currently, there are
issues of security, as well, since you can walk right up to the fence
on the north end and practicaly spit on the a/c as they fly overhead.
(Not that this patriot would do such a thing of course).

Question is, should this happen, where would you move Range training
assets? Tonopah? Build new? Just wondering

C3
http://groomlakeaudubonsociety.netfirms.com

I'll be inside Nellis in about an hour. I'll ask Col.Bill if he has heard
anything.

Arthur Kramer
Visit my WW II B-26 website at:
http://www.coastcomp.com/artkramer

Old July 19th 03, 03:43 PM
C Knowles

WHAT list? I am not aware of any official or even semi-official list being
published.
Geez, everyone connected to a military base is speculating about the next
BRAC, if it even happens. Politics and economics will be the biggest factors
in base closures; I doubt that area needs a military base for economic
survival.
Curt

om...

Old July 19th 03, 04:43 PM
S. Sampson

Question is, should this happen, where would you move Range training
assets? Tonopah? Build new? Just wondering

The two ranges being expanded (electronically) are Cold Lake, Alberta,
and Goose Bay, Labrador. Both offer the same as Las Vegas, with none
of the politics. The communities support the ranges.

Old July 19th 03, 04:59 PM
Andrew Chaplin

"S. Sampson" wrote:

Question is, should this happen, where would you move Range training
assets? Tonopah? Build new? Just wondering

The two ranges being expanded (electronically) are Cold Lake, Alberta,
and Goose Bay, Labrador. Both offer the same as Las Vegas, with none
of the politics. The communities support the ranges.

Goose Bay brings politics of its own; the local Innu are ****ed off
because low-flying stresses the caribou herds on which they depend for
food, or so they believe.
--
Andrew Chaplin
SIT MIHI GLADIUS SICUT SANCTO MARTINO

Old July 19th 03, 11:57 PM
BUFDRVR

Around Nellis you have a bunch of retired people
who flock to the commissary, and then complain about the jet noise
on the golf courses.

Love the southern departure altitude restrictions. No problem in a BUFF with a
RED FLAG fuel load (100K), but for redeployment its kind of interesting. All in
the name of a peaceful round of golf....

BUFDRVR

everyone on Bear Creek"