Protestor Damages Enola Gay

Old December 18th 03, 06:41 PM
Kevin Brooks

"Cindy" wrote in message
news:42mEb.423962$ao4.1358666@attbi_s51...
Kevin Brooks wrote:

If you think the US was responsible for introducing an enlightened

attitude
towards sex to the Japanese, you are sadly mistaken and need to review

your
Japanese social history.

I read John Dower's "Embracing Defeat". Hey, you got to be proud of
your country for this service. Sex gave the Japanese fantasy,
daydreaming, and probably a lot of babies after the defeat. Pan pan
girls were able to make money off the American GIs. Strip shows were
first introduced in Asakusa and were the major success. Western women
were considered to be a sex symbol. Sex was far better than committing
suicide, after all. You didn't know that, did you?

I know that the Japanese have a long history of a rather liberal attitude
towards sex, extending back a couple of centuries before they ever met an
American, much less were conquered by us. You might care to examine some of
their artwork.

Brooks

Old December 18th 03, 07:47 PM
Cindy

Ernest Schaal wrote:

Are you really arguing that the Japanese were puritan about sex prior to the
American occupation and had no prostitution?

No, I am not. I am not complaining anything. However, those girls who
were taken to the US were fortunate. Those who were left behind in
Japan being pregnant had to go through the hell of discrimination. Just
an FYI.

If so, how do you explain the
legal prostitution that flourished brothels supervised by the Japanese
government since the 12th century? Or how do you explain the fact that in
the first week after Japan's surrender at the end the Home Ministry moved to
recruit prostitutes to serve the expected Occupation troops? Prostitution
wasn't made illegal until the Occupation authorities officially recommended
the abolition of licensed brothels. (Source for all the above, Japan An
Illustrated Encyclopedia)

Hawaii, Europe, and Africa, everywhere the US troops went, sex
industries were provided. (History Channel) However, how can you
complain? They paid for the service!

Old December 18th 03, 09:10 PM
The Revolution Will Not Be Televised

On Thu, 18 Dec 2003 19:47:53 GMT, Cindy wrote:

Ernest Schaal wrote:

Are you really arguing that the Japanese were puritan about sex prior to the
American occupation and had no prostitution?

No, I am not. I am not complaining anything. However, those girls who
were taken to the US were fortunate. Those who were left behind in
Japan being pregnant had to go through the hell of discrimination. Just
an FYI.

Sounds like a Japanese cultural problem to me. Next.

If so, how do you explain the
legal prostitution that flourished brothels supervised by the Japanese
government since the 12th century? Or how do you explain the fact that in
the first week after Japan's surrender at the end the Home Ministry moved to
recruit prostitutes to serve the expected Occupation troops? Prostitution
wasn't made illegal until the Occupation authorities officially recommended
the abolition of licensed brothels. (Source for all the above, Japan An
Illustrated Encyclopedia)

Hawaii, Europe, and Africa, everywhere the US troops went, sex
industries were provided. (History Channel)

Well who could possibly dispute such a source?

However, how can you
complain? They paid for the service!

Brothels and prostitution existed in Japan long before the GIs turned
up. Next.

Gavin Bailey

Old December 18th 03, 09:14 PM

On Thu, 18 Dec 2003 18:08:00 GMT, Cindy wrote:

If you think the US was responsible for introducing an enlightened attitude
towards sex to the Japanese, you are sadly mistaken and need to review your
Japanese social history.

I read John Dower's "Embracing Defeat". Hey, you got to be proud of
your country for this service. Sex gave the Japanese fantasy,

The Japanese fantasised about sexlong before 1945.

daydreaming,

Guess what? They daydreamed about sex long before 1945 as well.

and probably a lot of babies after the defeat.

How many would that be then, in total and as a percentage of all
births in Japan at the time? I assume you have some factual grasp of
the subject to inform your opinion.

Western women
were considered to be a sex symbol. Sex was far better than committing
suicide, after all. You didn't know that, did you?

How do you know? Have you tried both?

Gavin Bailey

Old December 18th 03, 09:48 PM
George Shirley

Kevin Brooks wrote:

[...]

Speaking of Japanese erotic artwork. Anyone know the value of the following?

Japanese "pillow" scroll, watercolor on rice paper attached to a silk
scroll with an ivory (I think) rod. Very explicit artwork. BIL brought
it back as spoils of war from the Pacific in 1945. He has gone to join
his fallen comrades and I thought I could sell it for some extra money
for my sister but have no idea what to look for on eBay to establish a
baseline price.

Definitely off-topic but he was a Navy corpsman with the Marines from
1941-1945.

George

Old December 18th 03, 09:53 PM
Kevin Brooks

"jake" wrote in message
On Thu, 18 Dec 2003 17:32:10 GMT, "Kevin Brooks"
wrote:

"Cindy" wrote in message
Kevin Brooks wrote:

The Army remained undefeated until the Emperor finally pulled the

plug,
and
even then there was a hardcore element that tried a last minute coup

prevent the surrender.

Wait, wait. There was something more to that. When the cabinet

members
voted for the acceptance of the Postdam Declaration or not, the numbers
tied. Therefore, the final decision was made by the emperor.

At the time, the Japanese populace were under abnormal pressure. They
were brainwashed that defeat means death. Therefore, after the
surrender, a large number of both soldiers and civilians killed
themselves. In the street or anywhere, someone pulled the pin of the
hand grenade and shouted, "Ten'nou heika banzai!", a group of
passers-bys jumped on to it to be blown up together. A pair of school
girls pulled their knives and stabbed each other. If one didn't have

any
means to kill oneself, one begged the closest military person to shoot
oneself. I just can't believe how crazy human can get.

Who left a legacy of true democracy; what a shame, huh?

Sex industry was indeed a big hit.

If you think the US was responsible for introducing an enlightened

attitude
towards sex to the Japanese, you are sadly mistaken and need to review

your
Japanese social history.

indeed..

The US introduced a nightmare

Rape Debate In Japan

What the heck do "rave parties" today have to do with the US in Japan in
1945? And BTW, the Japanese had pornography long before we dropped in--take
a gander at some of their more licentious artistic depictions from the
1800's and earlier.

Brooks

Snip

Old December 18th 03, 10:31 PM
Ernest Schaal

in article , jake at
wrote on 12/19/03 7:17 AM:

Kevin Brooks wrote:

[...]

they were not "rave parties" at all..they tend to be asexuual
they were a pretext for the activation of predatory attitudes to women
that show little has in fact changed..

"When 28-year-old Wada and five other organizers were arrested on rape
charges in late June, public outrage underlined how attitudes about
sex crimes are changing in a society where victims traditionally
suffered in silence.

But the affair also shows how much hasn't changed. It has triggered a
boys-will-be-boys backlash that activists say only spotlights how
ingrained sexist sentiment remains. "

"During a Parliament debate, lawmaker Seiichi Ota, a 57-year-old
former Cabinet minister, got a laugh when he quipped: "At least gang
rapists are still vigorous. Isn't that at least a little closer to
normal?"

And BTW, the Japanese had pornography long before we dropped in--take
a gander at some of their more licentious artistic depictions from the
1800's and earlier.

rape is about power hatred and domination not sex..
and pornography is not eroticism..

The artistic depictions you speak of a a far cry from..

"Rape-themed videos account for about a fifth of the porno offerings
at chain rental stores, with titles like "Idol Rape Crime File"
rankingamong the top five in weekly X-rated sales.

Popular comic books and video games often depict rape fantasies where
teenage girls, nurses and housewives willingly submit to rapes and
other sex assaults from relatives, neighbors or even police. A
17-year-old high school student arrested in June for allegedly raping
31 women reportedly told police he was trying to re-enact scenes he
saw in porno books and magazines.

True, many popular comic books and video games often depict rape fantasies,
but that had nothing to do with the American occupation. Such depictions
were common in shunga of the Edo era, and Japanese art of earlier periods.

Why do you continue to post such anti-American nonsense? Next you will be
accusing America for rape and pillage of the Crusades?

Enola Gay: Burnt flesh and other magnificent technological achievements me Military Aviation 146 January 15th 04 10:13 PM
Enola Gay: Burnt flesh and other magnificent technological ArtKramr Military Aviation 19 December 20th 03 02:47 AM
Japanese Whine Over Enola Gay Display [email protected] Military Aviation 42 December 19th 03 11:32 PM
enola gay Cub Driver Military Aviation 1 November 7th 03 01:01 AM
Enola Gay flies into new A-bomb controversy Otis Willie Military Aviation 0 August 21st 03 09:10 PM