The greatest missions were tactical, not strategic

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old September 2nd 04, 03:01 PM
David Lentz

"BUFDRVR" wrote in message
Bob Coe wrote:

It took years of strategic bombing to even have a Normandy.

Yes and no. Yes, the Strategic Bombing campaign did syphon off resources

and
men that would have been manning positions at Normandy, but it did not

make the
Germans short of any equipment or resources. Within a few months of D-Day,

the
POL shortages would begin, but on D-Day the Germans had plenty of POL.

The war in Europe was largely fought along the Russian front. The strategic
air campaign supported the Allied policy of keeping the Soviets in the war.
I think Roosevelt's biggest fear wa that the Soviet would make another
sepeate peace with Germany. It was a fear of Eisenhower.

I think it safe to say that the strategic air campaign shortened the war,
but I do t think the war could have been won without it.

David

David