An Amazing Gift

Old March 12th 04, 03:16 PM
Mike Z.

Now ain't that the truth.

Mike Z

"G.R. Patterson III" wrote in message ...

Chuck wrote:

Jay is a lucky man...

I've always found that the harder you work, the more luck you have.

George Patterson
Battle, n; A method of untying with the teeth a political knot that would
not yield to the tongue.

Old March 12th 04, 03:18 PM
Mike Z.

Maybe that is why everything works in his airplane?

Mike Z

"Mike Weller" wrote in message s.com...

Jay, beware!

You're on the fast track to Sainthood.

Mike Weller

Old March 12th 04, 03:27 PM
Jay Honeck

You're on the fast track to Sainthood.

Wooo wooo!

Not much danger of *that* happening, that's for sure!

Just ask Mary.

:-)
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old March 12th 04, 03:29 PM
Jay Honeck

Maybe you should have this one updated:

http://www.avweb.com/news/columns/182940-1.html

Good idea. Maybe Rick can stop by again sometime soon, and see how far
we've come since 2002!

Whenever I get frustrated at our slow pace of progress (Our 3-year plan
keeps slipping. We're at 5 years now...), I think back to Rick's visit,
when we had, like, two suites to show him, and virtually nothing else.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old March 12th 04, 03:35 PM
Jay Honeck

I can identify a bit with this story as I'm sort of the "unofficial
custodian" for a lot of personal letters to me from members of the
fellowship, most aces from many countries and many gone now.

It's incredibly important that this stuff be saved. In another generation,
World War II and Korea will be no different than the Revolutionary War --
distant, disembodied, perhaps vaguely interesting to some hard-core
historians.

Those historians will need your letters in order to re-visit those times.
Thanks for saving them, Dudley.

In a very practical way you could say you made it possible for him to

leave
a bit of himself behind.

This isn't the first time people have done this with us -- but it's never
been done on this scale before. I've had folks walk in, hand me a leather
flying helmet, tell me it was their father's in the War and they wanted to
make sure it was preserved. We've received briefcases, spinners, goggles,
old magazines, maps -- you name it, all donated so that it would have a good
place to live, knowing that it would be appreciated here.

This stupid little hotel has brought out the best in our aviation
brotherhood -- a side-benefit we never anticipated.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old March 12th 04, 03:55 PM
Blanche

Jay:

talk to your accountant and lawyer. the way your place is growing,
you just may want to turn part of it into a real museum for the
tax break (501(c)3 type of stuff). Or if possible, build something
onto the hotel to serve as the museum.

Old March 12th 04, 07:54 PM
Jay Honeck

talk to your accountant and lawyer. the way your place is growing,
you just may want to turn part of it into a real museum for the
tax break (501(c)3 type of stuff). Or if possible, build something
onto the hotel to serve as the museum.

Thanks for the suggestion. Eventually we may have to do something like
this -- but not yet.

Even though it's riskier, I really like having the aviation memorabilia and
artwork in the suites and hallways. It gives each suite a unique flavor
and an authenticity that you won't get anywhere else.

For example, when you stay in our Memphis Belle Suite, Bob Morgan and his
crew are staring down at you -- and the picture was given to us and signed
by Colonel Bob himself. When you're in the Mustang Suite, Vlado Lenoch's
Mustang parts are hanging right in your face. When you're in the Blackbird
Suite, you've got a real pitot-static probe to ogle, and an authentic
Lockheed-commissioned carved model of the SR-71 to admire.

And there's a lot of other stuff in our lobby and pilot's lounge.

As time goes on, we'll just add more and more stuff. Sooner or later, we'll
run out of room, and THEN we'll look at the museum, methinks...
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old March 13th 04, 12:13 AM
JerryK

A great story. Made my day.

Thanks

Old March 13th 04, 01:33 AM
Gordon Young

Wow!

Old March 13th 04, 11:50 PM
Peter R.

Jay Honeck wrote:

For example, when you stay in our Memphis Belle Suite, Bob Morgan and his
crew are staring down at you

Hopefully, this is not your honeymoon suite...

--
Peter

Glider Ride - Gift Michael Aviation Marketplace 0 December 7th 04 01:10 AM
Glider Ride Gift Michael Home Built 0 December 7th 04 12:31 AM
"Giving a zero-G gift" Mike Military Aviation 0 December 17th 03 03:59 PM
Amazing Wind Shear Today Jay Honeck Piloting 25 December 3rd 03 10:23 PM
Great Holiday Gift Idea for Pilots! Jay Honeck Aviation Marketplace 0 November 26th 03 09:44 PM