Leasehold hangars and content restrictions

Old November 17th 06, 04:33 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
houstondan

Default Leasehold hangars and content restrictions

as a retired city manager type, i suggest you survey what other
airports in the area are doing in this regard then contact the city
manager as a group (assuming the c.m. is the airport managers boss)
with your helpful suggestions for improvment. i'll bet that if you
survey all the pilots you'll find a number who are active in the
political affairs of the community (write checks). after you give the
city manager a chance to work things out you should then go after the
mayor and council but it's not really cool to do that as a first move.
sounds like the local airport manager is just trying to do a good job
and just needs a little help understanding what that is. the city
manager, mayor and council have lots of stuff to worry about without
something like this. generally, i never liked department heads getting
groups riled-up without a darn good reason and this isn't one.

have you called a.o.p.a. to see if they have any "go by" type data you
could use as backup?

dan

Old November 17th 06, 08:00 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Jim Stewart

Tony Cox wrote:

"ktbr" wrote in message

Tony Cox wrote:

Perhaps there is even someone out there who has a definitive
ruling from the local FSDO...

Has nothing to do with the FSDO. The airport exists for
aviation. The airport has a right to insure the proper
usage of the property will promote aviation and aircraft
operations. On the other hand, if they granted someone
a long term lease to build a hangar on the property and
the lease does not state that the hangar is to be used
for an airplane and/or aviation related activites then
that's a different story.

I think we all agree that hangars are for aircraft, not
storage. But then if one can fit a boat under the wing
of a Cessna, why not? It's not like its taking space that
could otherwise be used for another plane.

But I'm not out to start a debate on what *ought* to be
stored. Rather, it is the FAA missives that *regulate*
what can be stored if, in fact, they actually exist.

We are being told that *no personal items* whatever
can be stored in hangars. This means no tables, chairs,
sofas or fridges, as well as "arguable" items such as
RVs and boats. Further, we're being assured that there
is a FAA regulation that mandates this. Frankly, we don't
believe it, but proving it is another matter. Looking at
the various grant assurance passages reveals nothing. Checking
the advisory circulars draws a blank too. So what is left?
Opinions from the local FSDO is all that comes to mind.

What I'm hoping for is for someone to say "Yes, we had
a similar situation at xxxxx and asked FSDO for a ruling.
And this is what they said...".

I guess my only question is why the burden
of proof isn't on the manager instead of you?

Old November 18th 06, 06:38 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Dave S

Tony Cox wrote:
Further, we're being assured that there
is a FAA regulation that mandates this.

The enforcing authority needs to show chapter and verse in the
applicable federal rule book. It's their burden to show it, not your
burden to find it.

Frankly, we don't
believe it, but proving it is another matter.

I think we will find WMD's in Iraq before you find a federal rule that
prohibits what household items you can store in a hangar that you built
with your own money on a 30 year lease..

Dave