How Boeing steered tanker bid

Old March 31st 04, 12:19 AM
Roman J. Rohleder

Peter Kemp schrieb:

(Airbus tankers)

Except for the Luftwaffe tankers it is currently building (IIRC first
flight was a couple of months ago)

Right, I remember a news footage on this.

Are these the Airbus currently used for passenger transport and
Medevac, the convertibles?

Odd history, IIRC they were ordered by the GDR Interflug and taken
over by Luftwaffe after the reunification.

---
Peter Kemp

Life is short - drink faster

Gruss, Roman
Old March 31st 04, 01:51 AM
Peter Kemp

On Wed, 31 Mar 2004 01:19:12 +0200, Roman J. Rohleder
wrote:

Peter Kemp schrieb:

(Airbus tankers)

Except for the Luftwaffe tankers it is currently building (IIRC first
flight was a couple of months ago)

Right, I remember a news footage on this.

Are these the Airbus currently used for passenger transport and
Medevac, the convertibles?

Yup, Multi Role Tanker Transports (MRTT) in Airbus speak.

Odd history, IIRC they were ordered by the GDR Interflug and taken
over by Luftwaffe after the reunification.

Really? I hadn't heard that. Odd world we live in.

---
Peter Kemp

Life is short - drink faster
Old March 31st 04, 02:55 AM
Roman J. Rohleder

Peter Kemp schrieb:

Are these the Airbus currently used for passenger transport and
Medevac, the convertibles?

Yup, Multi Role Tanker Transports (MRTT) in Airbus speak.

Somehow cute idea.

Odd history, IIRC they were ordered by the GDR Interflug and taken
over by Luftwaffe after the reunification.

Really? I hadn't heard that. Odd world we live in.

I checked it, and... yes. Interflug, paid by the GDR. :-)

http://www.flug-revue.rotor.com/FRTypen/FRA310TT.htm

It refers to the firstflight as MRTT, too. The first will be
re-delivered in May.

And if you read german:

http://www.bw-flyer.de/neu/report/re...ip-airbus.html

One other odd thing - these birds are those which replaced the old LW
707, the aircraft Helmut Kohl used on the evening of 09. November 1989
and where he developed many strategies and ideas for the following
months..

---
Peter Kemp

Gruss, Roman
Old April 1st 04, 01:40 AM
Alan Minyard

On Tue, 30 Mar 2004 17:35:20 -0500, Peter Kemp wrote:

On Tue, 30 Mar 2004 12:49:31 -0600, Alan Minyard
wrote:

On Mon, 29 Mar 2004 16:45:59 -0500, Peter Kemp wrote:

On Mon, 29 Mar 2004 00:57:38 GMT, "David Hartung"
wrote:

I personally have a problem with US military equipment being manufactured by
another nation.

Tell it to the Marines.........they're driving around Canadian built
LAVs :-)

And don't even get me started on how much US Army gear was designed
elsewhere.

A small note here, Airbus has never built a tanker.

Except for the Luftwaffe tankers it is currently building (IIRC first
flight was a couple of months ago), and the Canadian conversions to
transport/tanker that are on order.

---
Peter Kemp

Life is short - drink faster

There is a difference between "building" and "built". Are the LW planes
boom or probe/basket ??

Al Minyard
Old April 1st 04, 01:59 AM
Roman J. Rohleder

Alan Minyard schrieb:

A small note here, Airbus has never built a tanker.

Except for the Luftwaffe tankers it is currently building (IIRC first
flight was a couple of months ago), and the Canadian conversions to
transport/tanker that are on order.

There is a difference between "building" and "built".

Read the links I quoted yesterday, everything is written there.

10+27 "August Euler" is finished and in testing phase, it will be
delivered next month.

Are the LW planes boom or probe/basket ??

Both, the "hose and drogue" on the wingtips, the boom option in the
center body has been cancelled on the LW birds - but is still an
option. Perhaps the Canadian version ("Polaris") will have it?

The system has been delivered by Flight Refueling Ltd. (Cobham).

Al Minyard

Gruss, Roman