Books on Military Rotary Wing to Civilian Fixed Wing Transition?

Old May 1st 07, 11:43 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Greg Copeland

Default Books on Military Rotary Wing to Civilian Fixed Wing Transition?

My brother is a CFI, training Apache Long Bow pilots and would like to
transition to GA after he retires. Was wondering if anyone knows of
any books which will help prepare a career military helicopter pilot
for the world of civilian, fixed wing aviation? Specifically,
anything that covers transition to FAA private pilot, complex
endorcement, and IFR certificate.

Greg

Old May 2nd 07, 12:40 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
john smith[_2_]

In article .com,
Greg Copeland wrote:

My brother is a CFI, training Apache Long Bow pilots and would like to
transition to GA after he retires. Was wondering if anyone knows of
any books which will help prepare a career military helicopter pilot
for the world of civilian, fixed wing aviation? Specifically,
anything that covers transition to FAA private pilot, complex
endorcement, and IFR certificate.

I have not been in that situation, but those who have tell me to get the
certificates from the FAA before they separate from the military. Have
him contact the nearest FSDO and talk to them about what they want in
the way of documentation.
Old May 2nd 07, 02:33 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
BT

He may only be able to get Commercial Rotary Wing certificates with
instrument privileges.
The certificates provided to military pilots are based on "active" Form 8s
(USAF).

Indeed, contact the FSDO, also look at 14CFR61.73

I would think there would be more work for a heavy Helo pilot than entry
level fixed wing.
A lot of Police departments, Air Rescue, etc are in need of rotary wing
pilots.

BT

Old May 2nd 07, 02:52 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Morgans[_2_]

"BT" wrote

I would think there would be more work for a heavy Helo pilot than entry
level fixed wing.
A lot of Police departments, Air Rescue, etc are in need of rotary wing
pilots.

Not to mention the offshore oil industry, in the Gulf of Mexico.
--
Jim in NC

Old May 2nd 07, 03:17 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Greg Copeland

On May 1, 6:40 pm, john smith wrote:
In article .com,
Greg Copeland wrote:

My brother is a CFI, training Apache Long Bow pilots and would like to
transition to GA after he retires. Was wondering if anyone knows of
any books which will help prepare a career military helicopter pilot
for the world of civilian, fixed wing aviation? Specifically,
anything that covers transition to FAA private pilot, complex
endorcement, and IFR certificate.

I have not been in that situation, but those who have tell me to get the
certificates from the FAA before they separate from the military. Have
him contact the nearest FSDO and talk to them about what they want in
the way of documentation.

That strikes me as unrealistic as he has zero hours for fixed wing
operation. I can only imagine they want more than just existing paper
work. All of his hours (probably a several thousand at this point)
are for complex rotary operation. I take it no such book exists? I
was hoping to find something to provide as a gift since he is
currently stationed in Korea.

Greg

Old May 2nd 07, 03:23 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Greg Copeland

On May 1, 8:33 pm, "BT" wrote:
He may only be able to get Commercial Rotary Wing certificates with
instrument privileges.
The certificates provided to military pilots are based on "active" Form 8s
(USAF).

Indeed, contact the FSDO, also look at 14CFR61.73

Any idea what it would be for the Army (Apache pilot...Army is the
only service that flies it).

I would think there would be more work for a heavy Helo pilot than entry
level fixed wing.
A lot of Police departments, Air Rescue, etc are in need of rotary wing
pilots.

The fixed wing stuff is for fun and maybe commercial interests down
the road. That's why I asked for private pilot and not about
commercial. He's already been talking with various people ranging
from air rescue to independant air operations for unnamed
organizations as a rotary pilot.

Ya, he's ganna have it tough retiring at 48%-50% pay, maybe tax free,
while still in his thirties...and primed to start a second aviation/
technology career. He's just suffering somthing aweful.

Greg