Flying under Class B

Old October 3rd 04, 09:32 PM
Gary Drescher

"Andrew Gideon" wrote in message
online.com...
Along the Hudson corridor, though, I think they
want you in Class B for advisories.

I'm afraid I don't understand. When someone writes "the Hudson corridor",
he or she is usually referring to the "exclusion zone" in which people can
fly within - but not in - the class B. I have flown *over* the corridor
while speaking to ATC (LGA tower, mostly). Is that what you mean?

Yup, sorry I stated it confusingly. The times I've approached the Hudson
with flight following, intending to fly in the Class E corridor, ATC cleared
me up into the Class B. When I replied that I'd rather stay below (for a
better view), they terminated services. I assume that's either because the
exclusion zone is too low for radar coverage, or else because it has too
much traffic for them to issue advisories there.

--Gary

Old October 3rd 04, 09:50 PM
Andrew Gideon

Gary Drescher wrote:

I assume that's either
because the exclusion zone is too low for radar coverage, or else because
it has too much traffic for them to issue advisories there.

I'm not sure about the coverage, but can definitely see the problem issuing
advisories for that (as Roy calls it {8^) zoo. I've never tried this
myself, as - if I'm going to be in the zoo - I'd rather be on the same
frequency as all the other animals laugh.

- Andrew

Old October 4th 04, 04:21 PM
Andrew Gideon

Roy Smith wrote:

If you're transiting the Class B east-west, NY Approach will often hand
you off to LGA Tower, and tower will bring you right over the top of the
airport at 1500. They'll tell you to fly directly over the runway
intersection. Heading west, LGA Tower will sometimes give you back to
NY Approach, or sometimes just hand you off directly to TEB Tower as you
cross the Hudson.

It seems strange the first time, but it actually makes a lot of sense.
Right over the top of the airport, all the traffic is at ground level,
safely below you. You get some good sight-seeing in too!

I understand that. My usual route from CDW to points south passes over EWR.
I'm a little surprised at the altitude, though. I've not looked at the
approach plates, but I'd have guessed that JFK's approaches from the north
would be an issue.

- Andrew