We Are All Spaniards

Old March 14th 04, 04:24 AM
Jay Honeck

I don't agree, Jay. I doubt the perpetrators of the explosions in Madrid
give
a damn what the Spaniards think of them. Do you think they expected their
actions to endear them?

If not to rally men to their cause, for what purpose then?

Ultimately, this is about who is in control. Without the masses, the
terrorists lose.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old March 14th 04, 04:39 AM
Teacherjh

So, your alternatives are...what?

Realistially? None.

We need good surveillance, but in such a way that it is not easy enough (and
won't become easy enough) to simply watch everyone, lest we start to gather up
drug lords, child molesters, nudists, litterbugs, journalists, and athiests in
the same net, to be fed to the next administration, whose beliefs may differ
from present ones.

We need good defenses, but not so good that it takes longer to get on the
subway than it does to walk the length of Manhattan.

We need the freedom to fly where we want, but it must be impossible to fly over
a train in a 150 and drop ordnance on the lead car, in sync with fifty other
150s (and a manly Tomahawk up in Alaska).

We need to keep an eye on our neighbors, for anything unusual, but at the same
time keep their beady eyes out of our own living rooms, bedrooms, and studies.
We need to be able to borrow books out of the library without fearing that our
reading habits will become known to the government, the insurance company, the
bank, and the medical profession.

And we need to actually have the time to do all of these things after working
another sixteen hour day, fifteen hours of which go to pay the taxes for having
two hundred million people try to find sixteen who have blended in with our
society for twenty years and who, when they receive a cell phone call, are
ready for their seventy nine virgins.

In short, we must find a number that is both greater than six and less than
four.

IT is not sufficient to find a number that is greater than four and less than
six. That's what we have now, and is why we are dealing with TFRs that cover
thousands of cubic miles and don't do squat.

Think of it this way. You are being attacked. You have a gun. What do you do
with it? Shoot the attacker? (Oh, the attacker is a bacterium and it's been
multplying in your system for a while now)

Jose

Old March 14th 04, 05:13 AM
Teacherjh

"For every one you kill, there are 10,000 more waiting to take
his place with greater fervor and comittment."

I took "10,000" to be "myriads", IOW "lots and lots". Hyperbole, not
calculation.

I think that it is true that for every one you kill, more will come... until
everyone is dead. It is self limiting. But if you are not holding the last
gun, you're dead. If you are, it's going to be pretty lonely.

Jose

Old March 14th 04, 06:41 AM
Larry Dighera

On 14 Mar 2004 05:13:21 GMT, (Teacherjh)
wrote in Message-Id: :

I think that it is true that for every one you kill, more will come...

What makes you think you have to kill anyone to make more come?

Old March 14th 04, 10:02 AM
Rosspilot

"For every one you kill, there are 10,000 more waiting to take
his place with greater fervor and comittment."

I took "10,000" to be "myriads", IOW "lots and lots". Hyperbole, not
calculation.

But of course . . .
www.Rosspilot.com

Old March 14th 04, 10:03 AM
S Green

"Larry Dighera" wrote in message
On Sun, 14 Mar 2004 01:41:31 GMT, "Steven P. McNicoll"
wrote in Message-Id:
et:

"Larry Dighera" wrote in message
.. .

Oops. Wrong quote.

That should have been:

On Sat, 13 Mar 2004 23:12:05 GMT, "Steven P. McNicoll"
wrote in Message-Id:
. net:

There's no point where the terrorists will realize their tactics
will not yield their desired result?

Irrational beliefs ultimately lead to irrational acts.
-- Larry Dighera,

Your question implies rational thought. Oh well... :-(

By me or the terrorists?

Your question seems to presume that the behavior of those who commit
irrational acts is guided by successful results. I'm not so sure that
is the case. Terrorists are obviously not constrained by rationality,
so expecting a rational response seems unwarranted.

Sucessful results - seems the 911 terrorists achieved a great amount of
success. Our lives have never been the same again and even the most simplest
of tasks has to be do with someone looking over our shoulder.

Old March 14th 04, 11:40 AM
Martin Hotze

On Sat, 13 Mar 2004 21:06:18 GMT, Jay Honeck wrote:

Terrorism must be stopped, whatever the cost.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
OK. First you surrender your pilot certificate, next your plane will be
confiscated. Eehh. It's for security, for the homeland. Then we will make
plans for the Hotel. What about a camp?

I was referring to financial costs, not personal freedoms.

oh. so you was unclear.
then: 40% tax on avgas and 50% tax on lodging. The money will be spent on
security measures. You then must wear a special GPS device (you have to buy
it) so that you can be tracked down. You must also have an ID card with
biometrical data stored. Any problems with that? Sure not. It is for
security and for the homeland.

I suspect such an attack on Berlin would so shock the German people that
they would realize their misjudgment regarding the war on terrorism.

*hehe* I see, you don't read much on foreign politics.
German politicans try to impose many "security measures" in the name of war
against terrorism. Glad we have some people here trying to fight against
most of the stupid actions they take.

#m

--
A far-reaching proposal from the FBI (...) would require all broadband
Internet providers, including cable modem and DSL companies, to rewire
Old March 14th 04, 11:41 AM
Martin Hotze

On 13 Mar 2004 22:56:41 GMT, Rosspilot wrote:

"Terrorism" (the euphamism for attacks on civilians designed to wreak havoc and
cause fear among the target population) is a tactic. It is here to stay.

And now they only have to name it to bring the system to a halt.

#m

Old March 14th 04, 11:47 AM
Martin Hotze

On Sat, 13 Mar 2004 18:47:48 -0500, John Harlow wrote:

What you need to do is remove the fuel from the fire. Americans need to
stop thinking they know what's best for the world.

o-ooohhhh.

:-)

#m
Old March 14th 04, 11:50 AM
Martin Hotze

On Sat, 13 Mar 2004 23:53:10 GMT, Jay Honeck wrote:

stop thinking they know what's best for the world.

An interesting perspective, John. I suggest you explain it to the people of
Madrid.

:-))

well, I bet President Bush and many Americans are not able to find Spain on
a map. And I bet most Americans give a sh*t what happens outside the US
border.

Panem et circensem. Bush does a great job .. well, maybe a little bit too
little bread (jobs) and a bit too much games (war).

Jay, sometimes a reality check helps.

#m