Mass Production of Aircraft

Old May 28th 05, 02:06 AM
Matt Barrow

wrote in message
ups.com...
That was douchebag Russ Meyer's idea. Build an aircraft plant in the
middle of nowhere, then refuse to hire locals for lack of aircraft
experience. He probably did it so he could spin off the recip line to a
gullible foreign corporation-I recall Toyota being discussed.

I'd love it if Toyota built them instead of Cessna.

Even better would be Honda.

--
Matt
---------------------

Old May 28th 05, 01:29 PM
Matt Whiting

Matt Barrow wrote:

wrote in message
ups.com...

That was douchebag Russ Meyer's idea. Build an aircraft plant in the
middle of nowhere, then refuse to hire locals for lack of aircraft
experience. He probably did it so he could spin off the recip line to a
gullible foreign corporation-I recall Toyota being discussed.

I'd love it if Toyota built them instead of Cessna.

Even better would be Honda.

Ha, ha, ha ... that's funny. I had a new Honda once (84 Accord). Won't
make that mistake again.

Matt
Old May 28th 05, 02:46 PM
Matt Barrow

"Matt Whiting" wrote in message
Matt Barrow wrote:

I'd love it if Toyota built them instead of Cessna.

Even better would be Honda.

Ha, ha, ha ... that's funny. I had a new Honda once (84 Accord). Won't
make that mistake again.

1984 was, I believe, the first year that Honda led the JD Powers customer
satisfaction survey (which they then led for 18 years), so what were you
doing different?

I had an '86 Accord; put 109K miles on it in four years - brake pads at 54K,
new tires at 68K and oil changes. I've had two Hondas and three Acura's
since. The only reason I bought a 4-Runner is that Honda didn't have a SUV
(that wasn't a dressed up Isuzu Rodeo) at the time. The 4-Runner is a 2002,
has 65K miles and the only thing I've had done on it is oil changes. When
this one gets traded next year, it'll be replaced by a Pilot (no pun
intended).

When my wife & I car-shopped for her car last fall we thought about a Benz
or BMW, but the dealers were arrogant, and I was sorta ****ed at the
Germans, so we stayed with Acura and she got an RL. Too early to tell on
that one.

Old May 28th 05, 04:02 PM
Matt Whiting

Matt Barrow wrote:

I'd love it if Toyota built them instead of Cessna.

Even better would be Honda.

Ha, ha, ha ... that's funny. I had a new Honda once (84 Accord). Won't
make that mistake again.

1984 was, I believe, the first year that Honda led the JD Powers customer
satisfaction survey (which they then led for 18 years), so what were you
doing different?

My 84 lost the cam and all 16 rocker arms at less than 80,000 miles ...
and the zone office rep said that I hadn't maintained the engine
properly. After sending him a copy of my log book which I keep for all
of my vehicles (yes, ground as well as air) which showed all maintenance
and that I'd used a premium oil even (Mobil 1), he sent a second letter
saying that 80,000 miles of engine life was within Honda's
"manufacturing tolerance." Sorry, but that is the only auto engine I've
owned in 30 years of car ownership that didn't easily make 100,000
miles. And the only other engine that didn't last until I got rid of
the vehicle was a 1971 VW Beetle engine that began to leak so bad that I
had to tear it down with about 105,000 on it to replace the seals.

I haven't yet owned a Toyota, but friends who had owned both favor
Toyota's by a fairly significant margin.

Matt
Old May 28th 05, 06:07 PM
Montblack

("Matt Barrow" wrote)
When my wife & I car-shopped for her car last fall we thought about a Benz
or BMW, but the dealers were arrogant, and I was sorta ****ed at the
Germans, so we stayed with Acura and she got an RL. Too early to tell on
that one.

Check out the recent article in (April 2005) Automobile magazine about the
quality problems at Mercedes, Audi and VW:

LOSING THE LUSTER By Richard Feast
"German automakers were once synonymous with great quality. What happened?"

(Montblack again...)
Consumers are starting to drop their assumption of quality with the German
cars (BMW and maybe Porsche are the exceptions). Owners are dealing with the
everyday realities that the Germans are putting out crap these days -
compared to their competition.

Even the German car owners, when polled, rated Toyota, Honda, Lexus, etc
high - while dropping the Benz. Audi and VW lines down around the
neighborhood of your Hyundais and Pontiacs for quality.

Odd thing is, Mercedes agrees and says it's working on the problem.

Montblack
Still miffed at Accura for dropping names and going with what letters?
Numbers?

Old June 7th 05, 04:42 PM
Edward Todd

Offer a new C182 that runs on diesel for $60k purchase or rents for
$30/hour
and the world would beat a path to your door.

As a "poor' pilot, I will add this. So much of the problem is also
"destination costs". So many new pilots get their ticket and scrape up
enough cash to fly in the local area for fun every now and then in a
rental. But to fly XC means car rentalk at the destination. And that is
why I rarely take the family anywhere in a plane. I could squeeze out
the rental money for the plane and balance it with gas savings from not
using the car and time saved, etc,. But when I have to add in the car
rental expense ... it just doesn't work. This is a big reason so many
new pilots get tired of just doing local site seeing flights after a
while and stop flying all together.
Old June 7th 05, 05:06 PM
George Patterson

turbo wrote:

Offer a new C182 that runs on diesel for $60k purchase or rents for $30/hour
and the world would beat a path to your door.

If pigs could fly they'd be pigeons.

George Patterson
Why do men's hearts beat faster, knees get weak, throats become dry,
and they think irrationally when a woman wears leather clothing?
Because she smells like a new truck.