Please wait - I need to reboot

Old June 6th 05, 06:58 AM
Hilton

Default Please wait - I need to reboot

Hi,

I was flying (on American) from LAX to SJC today on an EMR 140 RJ. We get
pushed back. After about 5 minutes, the captain says: "We need to reboot
the computer. The emergency lights will come on for about a minute. This
happens all the time. It's perfectly normal." He rebooted, fired up the
engines, and off we went.

I had no idea that a pre-taxi step was "Computer: REBOOT".

Hilton

Old June 6th 05, 12:24 PM
Paul Tomblin

In a previous article, "Hilton" said:
I was flying (on American) from LAX to SJC today on an EMR 140 RJ. We get
pushed back. After about 5 minutes, the captain says: "We need to reboot
the computer. The emergency lights will come on for about a minute. This
happens all the time. It's perfectly normal." He rebooted, fired up the
engines, and off we went.

I had no idea that a pre-taxi step was "Computer: REBOOT".

At that point I'd say "I'm not trusting my life to Windows", and get off
the plane.

--
Paul Tomblin http://xcski.com/blogs/pt/
Medication did wonders for me, Dave. Perhaps it could for you, if a
Old June 6th 05, 12:57 PM
Arnold Sten

Hilton wrote:
Hi,

I was flying (on American) from LAX to SJC today on an EMR 140 RJ. We get
pushed back. After about 5 minutes, the captain says: "We need to reboot
the computer. The emergency lights will come on for about a minute. This
happens all the time. It's perfectly normal." He rebooted, fired up the
engines, and off we went.

I had no idea that a pre-taxi step was "Computer: REBOOT".

Hilton

Probably a Microsoft system. I sure that Bill Gates is smiling all the
way to the bank.
Old June 6th 05, 01:58 PM
Jimbob

On Mon, 06 Jun 2005 05:58:12 GMT, "Hilton"
wrote:

Hi,

I was flying (on American) from LAX to SJC today on an EMR 140 RJ. We get
pushed back. After about 5 minutes, the captain says: "We need to reboot
the computer. The emergency lights will come on for about a minute. This
happens all the time. It's perfectly normal." He rebooted, fired up the
engines, and off we went.

I had no idea that a pre-taxi step was "Computer: REBOOT".

Hilton

Dear god, please don't let Windows CE make it into the cockpit.

Jim

http://www.unconventional-wisdom.org
Old June 6th 05, 02:25 PM
Michelle P

I hate to say it but Windows controls the cabin functions (heat/ac,
lights) on the airbus's.
Michelle

Old June 6th 05, 04:05 PM
Casey Wilson

Hilton, I'll bet you just opened the flood gates for another stupid
diatribe from the Windows vs. the world mob.

Old June 6th 05, 05:53 PM
Wolfgang Kemper

Is this true? The last Airbus I was in had a LINUX based entertainment
system. (I know because they had to reboot my station)
Why should they mix operating systems?

Old June 6th 05, 06:13 PM
Darrell S

Hilton wrote:
Hi,

I was flying (on American) from LAX to SJC today on an EMR 140 RJ.
We get pushed back. After about 5 minutes, the captain says: "We
need to reboot the computer. The emergency lights will come on for
about a minute. This happens all the time. It's perfectly normal."
He rebooted, fired up the engines, and off we went.

I had no idea that a pre-taxi step was "Computer: REBOOT".

Hilton

Many airliners use FMS (Flight Management System) and no movement is allowed
while the system is "initializing". They might not have noticed that
wasn't complete before starting their pushback. It would be necessary to
"reboot". Perhaps his "stable table" for IRS use is an AHARS unit. On that
type system there are no switches to "reboot" it if it has a problem. You
have to remove normal aircraft electrical power and bring the power back on
line one side at a time within a specific time period. This starts a new
"initialization" of the gyro system. On the MD80 aircraft the captain could
have used the Ground Service power system to keep the cabin lighted with
normal power while he turned the generators off and then back on. Either
the EMR 140 RJ doesn't have that capability or the captain forgot.

--

Darrell R. Schmidt
B-58 Hustler History: http://members.cox.net/dschmidt1/

Old June 6th 05, 06:44 PM
Peter Duniho

"Casey Wilson" N2310D @ gmail.com wrote in message
Hilton, I'll bet you just opened the flood gates for another stupid
diatribe from the Windows vs. the world mob.

Funny how you worded that. I don't know what your intent was, but it sure
reads like the "mob" you describe is the pro-Windows side, which in fact all
of the stupid replies are actually going to be (already are) from the
anti-Windows side.

Old June 6th 05, 06:48 PM
Ben Hallert

I was on an CRJ-700 and experienced the same thing a few weeks ago,
also at LAX. Kinda disconcerting.

Regarding the poster that begged that Windows CE never make it into the
cockpit... too late! I believe some Horizon/Alaska flights use an
iPaq of some sort to do weight & balance, and maybe others do too.