A aviation & planes forum. AviationBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » AviationBanter forum » rec.aviation newsgroups » Soaring
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

13.5 Meter World Championships

Old August 3rd 15, 07:55 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Sean Fidler
external usenet poster

Default 13.5 Meter World Championships

Go Tony! Go Francios!!!

Results after 2nd contest day:

http://www.soaringspot.com/en_gb/135...15-08-03/total
Old August 4th 15, 07:59 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
JS
external usenet poster

What's an "incorrect landing lane" warning?
Jim
Old August 4th 15, 08:49 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Charlie M. (UH & 002 owner/pilot)
external usenet poster

On Tuesday, August 4, 2015 at 2:59:32 PM UTC-4, JS wrote:
Jim

Landing on a surface other than "recommended"? Frankly (didn't look at the scoresheet), if nobody was hurt and nothing broken, "I declared an emergency (maybe only in my mind as PIC), thus I can break any rule out there provided I have a good reason for breaking the rule/rules in the follow-up discussion.....".
Old August 4th 15, 09:11 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Daly[_2_]
external usenet poster

On Tuesday, August 4, 2015 at 3:49:29 PM UTC-4, Charlie M. (UH & 002 owner/pilot) wrote:
On Tuesday, August 4, 2015 at 2:59:32 PM UTC-4, JS wrote:
Jim

Landing on a surface other than "recommended"? Frankly (didn't look at the scoresheet), if nobody was hurt and nothing broken, "I declared an emergency (maybe only in my mind as PIC), thus I can break any rule out there provided I have a good reason for breaking the rule/rules in the follow-up discussion.....".

From Local Procedures:
7.8.1 Landing procedures
The landing frequency is the same as the finish frequency - 122.500 MHz (call sign POCIUNAI INFO). Sailplanes landing straight in shall, during landing, proceed according to the instruction received from finish officials on the airport frequency. The aim is that the first finishing sailplanes shall normally continue as long as possible landing to allow other sailplanes to land safely behind and to use as much runway as possible. Any sudden change in direction of flight or rolling during the landing procedure is strictly prohibited. Violations will be penalized. Landing instructions for sailplanes landing from the runway circuit will be specified at the briefing.
See Appendix B

Appendix B has 14 illustrations on how they want folks to land/take-off depending on runway in use...

http://www.wgc2015.lt/documents/

I assume either changing direction or rolling, or landing first and not taking it to the end as the procedures say.

2D
Old August 5th 15, 05:08 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tony[_5_]
external usenet poster

The field is split into halves. Yesterday the right half was for direct landings and the left for speed finishes and patterns. I'm guessing François drifted over the imaginary centerline on his rollout.
Old August 14th 15, 07:57 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tony[_5_]
external usenet poster

Contest is going alright. We'll end up with 12/14 flying days. Hope you've all been following along!

Sean would be happy here...so far 9/10 tasks have been Racing Tasks. We had an area task on a day where thunderstorms were expected.
Old August 14th 15, 11:46 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

On Friday, August 14, 2015 at 2:57:57 AM UTC-4, Tony wrote:
Contest is going alright. We'll end up with 12/14 flying days. Hope you've all been following along!

Sean would be happy here...so far 9/10 tasks have been Racing Tasks. We had an area task on a day where thunderstorms were expected.

Nice dedication of our team's flights in memory or Rick.
Well done guys
UH
Old August 15th 15, 03:15 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Sean Fidler
external usenet poster

On Friday, August 14, 2015 at 2:57:57 AM UTC-4, Tony wrote:

:-). I have been keeping quit but am also glad that you mentioned the great tasking, befitting a world championships.

Bravo to the CD. I think its absolutely fantastic to have a 13.5 contest with all racing tasks. This would of course be near blasphemy in the US right now unfortunately, We definitely do not call enough...but this year has been a distinct improvement. I am hopefull we continue to add these pure, clean tasks to our contests whenever possible.

I think the Diana 2 and Lak mini have an edge (as they should as they are both newer designs). What was your impression of them vs. your gliders? The GP 14 will probably surpass them. This leapfrogging in performance is a bit unfortunate for the 13.5 class right now. I hope things stabilize.

I think you and Francios have done an incredible job. Congratulations!
Old August 15th 15, 07:47 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tony[_5_]
external usenet poster

Hank-It was our pleasure and I was glad that we had a great team flight. We've been flying pretty well together and its been a lot of fun.

The weather has been really good and appropriate for racing tasks here. Only one day where thunderstorms were a remote possibility and we got an area task that day.

The racing tasks have forced us to cross different terrain, shift gears, and do all that fun stuff you would expect at a world championship. It's been a fun time.

Day 12, the final day, coming right up!
Old August 15th 15, 04:00 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Sean Fidler
external usenet poster

Yes. Soaring changes when you can't fly wherever you want all/most of the time. Racing tasks definitely can be more difficult, but for those who learn to adapt, far greater rewards!