Sometimes it's the little things that make it all worthwhile...

Old December 16th 06, 11:30 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Jay Honeck

Default Sometimes it's the little things that make it all worthwhile...

And I brought a case of local brew to OSH two years ago. Sure,
MontBlack probably drank most of it...but it's the thought that counts.
And...it wasn't for reading your posts either. It
was...just...because I could (and had a few pounds to spare before
hitting max gross with full fuel

And here we all just thought you were thirsty!

;-)
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old December 17th 06, 02:45 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
jsbougher

I consider myself admonished. I'm almost POSITIVE I introduced myself
at OSH as "You don't know me but ..." I was the one that took the
group pictures last year at the RAP party.

So, as an effort to take myself out of permanent lurker status, here
was my day. Just fly my Velocity (59412) back to Indiana. I put her
in LONG term storage due to a pending move of the family to China. My
loving wife (who simply WON"T attend OSH), has agreed that we can take
our family leave over the summer. That said, I'll be bringing a 12
pack or so of Tsingtao to the get together next year ... assuming all
goes as planned and I get back here for the big event.

If I were the artistic type, I'd try to describe my flight yesterday,
but I'm not. There's something absolutely magical about looking over
your shoulder and seeing the horizon and clouds underlined by a
magnificant swept wing, but that's the best I can do.

Snapped a couple of pictures though and I'm gonna have one blown up and
framed for my office in the far away place. Anyway, I had an odd
thought on my way from Ohio to Indiana. I had my choice ... 3000 ft,
30 kt head wind and moderate-heavy turbulance or 4500 ft, 50 kt head
wind and smooth air. So of course, I held my fast plane at 3000 ft and
took my beating for the first 45 mins. Then I got to thinking, "why"?
I fly to fly. It's nice that it takes me and the family to neat
places, but there is simply no way to justify the cost. I do it
because I love it, the utility is simply upside. So, I climbed up to
4500 ft and enjoyed the view and the ride. That said, it irked the
HE*& out of me to see my speedy steed making all of 88-98 kts across
the ground. There is some base internal conflict between my simple
love of flying and the need for speed ... doesn't make sense, but it's
that way for me anyway. How many of you know the next 100 RPM doesn't
really gain you that much in transit time, but just can't stand to see
the speed the 3-4 kts lower than you know it should be?

Jeff

Jay Honeck wrote:
Hey, I sent you (2) Lake Superior fish last year, wrapped in plain white
butcher paper.

That was ALSO for reading your posts over the years - but I think it was
viewed more as penance ...at least according to 'some' in the Honeck house.

Hey -- *I* liked them. I think Joe thought you were trying to find a
way to keep him out of Minnesota, though... ;-)

(BTW, aren't "lurkers" great? Every year we get to meet a couple more of
them at OSH)

Lurkers rock! I'm always amazed at the number of great people I meet
who start off by saying "You don't know me, but..." And I always
wonder why they lurk, but don't post. I guess some folks are just shy?

--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old December 17th 06, 04:47 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Jack Allison[_1_]

Congrats on officially de-lurking Jeff. Nice post. Hope the trip to
China goes well and I get to sample one from the 12 pack you bring back.
Just distract MontBlack a bit for me and I'll be able to grab one.
No, wait, distract MontBlack, Jay, and JimB...then I'll be able to get
one :-)

--
Jack Allison
PP-ASEL-Instrument Airplane

"To become a Jedi knight, you must master a single force. To become
a private pilot you must strive to master four of them"
- Rod Machado

Old December 17th 06, 04:48 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Jack Allison[_1_]

Jay Honeck wrote:
And here we all just thought you were thirsty!

;-)

Well, yeah, at OSH, who isn't eh? :-) You gotta have something going
in so that you can produce the daily amount of sweat, right?

Old December 17th 06, 07:51 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Montblack

("Jack Allison" wrote)
And here we all just thought you were thirsty!

Well, yeah, at OSH, who isn't eh? :-) You gotta have something going in
so that you can produce the daily amount of sweat, right?

Jack at OSH - growing weaker:
[down to, possibly, his last breath] "Water! .....Water!"

"You thirsty, Jack?"

"No. It's just this ungodly Midwest humidity. (Water! ...Water!)"

Mont :-)

Old December 17th 06, 01:53 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Jay Honeck

How many of you know the next 100 RPM doesn't
really gain you that much in transit time, but just can't stand to see
the speed the 3-4 kts lower than you know it should be?

Hi Jeff -- now I remember you! You're the guy NOT in the picture!
:-)

Your internal conflict between speed and enjoyment. Don't feel bad
-- I think we all do that to one degree or another.

It has really only been recently that I've been able to pull the prop
and throttle back to a nice, quiet 20 squared, burning 9 gallons per
hour, and been able to enjoy puttering along at 110 knots again. (That
used to be our normal cruise speed, in our Warrior.) We started
throttling back because we were "down" a pair of headphones, and I
wanted to minimize the noise level for the poor person without ANR --
and discovered that I *liked* flying 30 knots slower.

It's quieter (by far), less buzzy through the floor, and you get to
enjoy the view for a few minutes longer. (And, of course, you burn
less gas, although that is somewhat offset by the longer flight.)

Before this year, though, I had to be running at 23 or 24 squared, and
I wanted 140 knots, just because that's what the plane *should* be
doing. I knew it made little sense, at some level, but that's just the
way it was, and I didn't think about it much.

Gad -- Maybe this is what happens to those old coots that you always
get stuck behind driving 10 mph under the speed limit? ;-)
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old December 17th 06, 02:27 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Jim Burns

Ah! The camera guy! I remember that you needed more arms than an octopus,
everybody kept handing you a camera and asking "one for me?" Thanks for
taking the pics, we all appreciated it!

I know what you mean about choosing the smoother quieter ride into a
headwind vs a bumpy faster ride with the prop & engines screaming. When we
got our Aztec we were impressed with all the literature that claimed it
would do 180kts TAS so one day we made up our mind we were going to test it.
Yep, it's true enough, but loud! Two props at 2550 RPMs for a short time
during take off is bearable, but I can't imagine sitting there for hours
listening to that! 24 squared is much more enjoyable, fuel flow is much
more efficient, and we only loose 20 kts.

Hope your trip to China goes well and is both pleasantly exciting and
rewarding. We'll look for you at OSH eager to hear about your time abroad.
Keep posting!

Jim

Old December 17th 06, 02:50 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

[...]

I think a lot of pilots do that... especially non-owners. They figure "cruise power setting is this" and that's that. One
of the best things (IMO) about having more horses under the cowl as that you don't *have* to use them all all the time. I know some
pilots figure "I fly to get there as fast as possible" so they fly wide open all the time. Me... I'd rather accept a few kts speed
by running it at 55% or 65% rather than 75%. If you think of the factors that are almost completely out of your control (headwind
being the biggest), that generally makes a *MUCH* bigger difference in speed than a few gph. Airframe determines speed... not
engine power. (...and a stock PA28 seems to like 110-115 kts before it starts to require LOTS of power/fuel).

To each their own.

-Cory

* Cory Papenfuss, Ph.D., PPSEL-IA *
* Electrical Engineering *

Old December 17th 06, 06:53 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Jack Allison[_1_]

Jay Honeck wrote:
It has really only been recently that I've been able to pull the prop
and throttle back to a nice, quiet 20 squared, burning 9 gallons per
hour, and been able to enjoy puttering along at 110 knots again. (That
used to be our normal cruise speed, in our Warrior.) We started
throttling back because we were "down" a pair of headphones, and I
wanted to minimize the noise level for the poor person without ANR --
and discovered that I *liked* flying 30 knots slower.

Yep, trade fuel burn for airspeed. At some point, the extra fuel just
doesn't make any sense (as in our case where we'll run 8 gph (sometimes
less) at 21/2400 but bump it up to 24/2400 and you get 11 gph and only
gain a few extra kts). What's really fun is doing instrument
proficiency work where I'll run at 17 or 18 inches MP while doing holds.
I've seen just south of 7 gph at times.

Gad -- Maybe this is what happens to those old coots that you always
get stuck behind driving 10 mph under the speed limit? ;-)

I now have this image of Jay (certainly not Mary!) kind of scrunched
down in the left seat of Atlas, peering over the glare shield (through
really thick Grandpa style glasses) and talking in a scratchy old man
voice on the radio. :-) Meanwhile, Mary is on Jay's six flying
something like a Pitts and yelling at the old man to get out of the way :-)

Old December 17th 06, 07:11 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Jack Allison[_1_]

Montblack wrote:
Jack at OSH - growing weaker:
[down to, possibly, his last breath] "Water! .....Water!"

"You thirsty, Jack?"

"No. It's just this ungodly Midwest humidity. (Water! ...Water!)"

Yeah, you took a picture of me while we were wandering through that
really expensive motor home (ah...air conditioning, what a concept!) and
I look like I'm about to pass out from heat stroke...er, something.