Funny Scammer

Old August 8th 07, 11:05 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Matt Barrow[_4_]

Default Funny Scammer

"Jim Burns" wrote in message
http://www.used-car-advisor.com/car-buyer-scam.htm

Another more deadly twist on this happened to a customer at our local
bank.
In addition to sending the "excess funds" to the scammer, the seller was
talked into signing the title and mailing it to the scammer so he could
have
his "associate insure the car while it was in storage at the original
owners
location as the car would be picked up at a later date". Then the scammer
used the car title to obtain a title loan from a title loan company which
he
defaulted on, turning the title of the car over to the bank for
repossession. The bank would then have to collect the car from "storage"
at
the original owners location.

The owner lost the car plus the excess money that she sent the scammer.
Since then this scam has been listed on the websites of several states
attorneys general.

Jim

Interestingly enough, as common as this scam is, and as easy to track,
there's but a handful of prosecutions each year in the US.

Old August 8th 07, 11:22 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Tri-Pacer

Interestingly enough, as common as this scam is, and as easy to track,
there's but a handful of prosecutions each year in the US.

I got such a bite when I was selling a transponder. As soon as I got an
e-mail saying a mistake had been made and a check had been issued for
thousands more than the selling price I told them to bug off. They persisted
and sent a very real looking money order. My bank issues this brand of money
order, so I took the phony money order and copies of all e-mail
correspondence to my bank. The manager could not tell the money order from
real. As far as I know the bank made no follow-up with the police.

Cheers:

Paul
N1431A
KPLU

Old August 9th 07, 12:39 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Kloudy via AviationKB.com

Matt Barrow wrote:

Interestingly enough, as common as this scam is, and as easy to track,
there's but a handful of prosecutions each year in the US.

I had my debit card number stolen from a vendor employee in Disneyland and my
checking account emptied of $2800 for,

get this.....

Wal-Mart and Target gift cards.

The scumbags ordered 'em online in the span of 90 min. ( I know 'cuz the
detectives working on this were quite informative).
The thing is, the local law enforcement were able to track down where the
likely scum were by tracing several PO boxes and fake box owners to a final
resident in Duarte, CA.

LA County Sherriffs said they simply had little time to execute and arrest in
these cases. Bigger fish to fry, basically.
Really didn't matter. My bank covered the losses but goes to show ya how ID
theft prosecution goes.

Old August 9th 07, 03:59 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Matt Barrow[_4_]

"Tri-Pacer" wrote in message

Interestingly enough, as common as this scam is, and as easy to track,
there's but a handful of prosecutions each year in the US.

I got such a bite when I was selling a transponder. As soon as I got an
e-mail saying a mistake had been made and a check had been issued for
thousands more than the selling price I told them to bug off. They
persisted and sent a very real looking money order. My bank issues this
brand of money order, so I took the phony money order and copies of all
e-mail correspondence to my bank. The manager could not tell the money
order from real. As far as I know the bank made no follow-up with the
police.

They don't want to admit their "paper" is that vulnerable.

Banks that suffer embezzlements often try their damnest to keep it on the
QT, mostly just firing the employee (if they haven't flown the coop already)
and eating the loss.

What price their facade?

Old August 9th 07, 11:42 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
WAYNE

On Aug 8, 1:47 pm, "Steve Foley" wrote:
I just received the following email in response to an ad I posted on R.A.M.:

Old August 9th 07, 01:24 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Steve Foley[_2_]

"WAYNE" wrote in message
oups.com...

Do you have a photo of this car.

The photos are he

http://n6480r.home.att.net

Old August 9th 07, 03:15 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
C J Campbell[_1_]

On 2007-08-09 05:24:35 -0700, "Steve Foley" said:

"WAYNE" wrote in message
oups.com...

Do you have a photo of this car.

The photos are he

http://n6480r.home.att.net

Nice car.
--
Waddling Eagle
World Famous Flight Instructor

Old August 9th 07, 05:40 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
PPL-A (Canada)

There'a a similar scam in use that targets photographers.

I have received several e-mails from people, always from overseas, but
often from countries where english is the native language. The poor
english is usually a dead give-away that it's a scam. The people do
their homework though. They claim to be traveling to my area to have
an important family event (anniversary, graduation, birthday), and
usually even give me a real location for the event ( a genuine school,
or event hall, church, etc.) that is near me. The plans are always
last minute (the event is usually less than a month away), and they
want to send me a cheque or bank draft (usually claiming that price is
not an object because of the late date and the importance of the event
to them) for my FULL FEE. They just want "all of my details" (some
have even been so bold as to request my bank information so they can
make a "direct deposit") so they can forward whatever amount I want
right away.

Of course if the photographer (many photogs have been burned in this
way) replies, they might have begun the process of have having their
identity stolen, or they might receive the financial instrument as
promised. Of course the event will be cancelled, and a refund will be
requested in short order ... and if the photographer is naive enough
to send a refund right away ... TOASTED (the original instrument is a
forgery, or stolen), even if they have a policy of keeping some small
amount as a non-refundable deposit.

The Spanish Prisoner (sort of ... the movie of the same name is really
pretty good if you haven't seen it!) ... most photographers aren't
used to being paid in full ahead of time, but it surprises me to read
that this thing is still working today on some shooters ... greed is a
powerful weapon.

%%%%HOW TO BE FUNNY!%%%% Expert Humor Owning 0 March 31st 06 07:06 AM
Scammer alert on GliderPilot John Ferguson Soaring 0 March 14th 05 06:36 PM
Funny.......... JJ Simulators 0 September 10th 04 07:16 AM
Wax group/South African World's video scammer/non-delivery of goods John Soaring 6 October 9th 03 04:10 AM