A aviation & planes forum. AviationBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » AviationBanter forum » rec.aviation newsgroups » Soaring
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

RC Clarification

Old January 3rd 16, 09:38 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
MNLou
external usenet poster

Default RC Clarification

I started this question in a new thread in the hope that the answer will be quick and to not divert any of the many other threads on the topic.

The way I read the RC report, the RC said that if FLARM is to be used in a contest, it must be in "Competition" mode. Based on discussion on RAS, I believe that this refers to the in-process software being developed, not the current Stealth mode.

Thus, the way I read this, Stealth mode was not a consideration and is not being mandated by the RC.

However, later in the document, the Nephi organizers requested a waiver to make FLARM mandatory (which was granted) and a waiver to not use Stealth mode (which was denied).

This appears that the RC is indeed mandating Stealth in 2016.

Would someone on the RC or anyone with more insight into this please clarify?

Thanks in advance -

Lou

Old January 3rd 16, 09:47 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Andrzej Kobus
external usenet poster

Default RC Clarification

On Sunday, January 3, 2016 at 4:38:57 PM UTC-5, MNLou wrote:
I started this question in a new thread in the hope that the answer will be quick and to not divert any of the many other threads on the topic.

The way I read the RC report, the RC said that if FLARM is to be used in a contest, it must be in "Competition" mode. Based on discussion on RAS, I believe that this refers to the in-process software being developed, not the current Stealth mode.

Thus, the way I read this, Stealth mode was not a consideration and is not being mandated by the RC.

However, later in the document, the Nephi organizers requested a waiver to make FLARM mandatory (which was granted) and a waiver to not use Stealth mode (which was denied).

Thanks in advance -

Lou

RC Meeting Minutes below:

"Proposal: Stealth required in nationals if carried. Organizer option in regionals
Long and open discussion of pros and cons culminating in the meeting's only split vote, 3-2. 9B
(Blackburn) requested his strong opposition and 'no' vote be reflected in the minutes. XM (Smith -
not attending) provided "no" vote prior to meeting in writing. XM prefers to keep as organizer
option for another year as Elmira is the only Stealth mandatory datapoint.
Recommendation: Provisional decision to mandate Stealth mode for Nationals only. Revisit in
January. Organizer option for ANY Flarm mode at Regionals - mandatory unrestricted Flarm,
Pilot Option or mandatory Stealth.
UH to coordinate with IGC/UK efforts to revise Stealth mode to increase level of situational
awareness and flexibility of action for high-altitude, high-speed, head-to-head traffic conflict
scenarios (common in strong western conditions). 60-seconds of lead time was suggested as a
target. Provide access to FlarmID or FlarmNet CN in order to preempt conflict and/or coordinate
evasive action is these scenarios. "
Old January 4th 16, 04:56 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Andy Blackburn[_3_]
external usenet poster

Default RC Clarification

On Sunday, January 3, 2016 at 1:47:52 PM UTC-8, Andrzej Kobus wrote:
On Sunday, January 3, 2016 at 4:38:57 PM UTC-5, MNLou wrote:

Thanks in advance -

Lou

RC Meeting Minutes below:

"Proposal: Stealth required in nationals if carried. Organizer option in regionals
Long and open discussion of pros and cons culminating in the meeting's only split vote, 3-2. 9B
(Blackburn) requested his strong opposition and 'no' vote be reflected in the minutes. XM (Smith -
not attending) provided "no" vote prior to meeting in writing. XM prefers to keep as organizer
option for another year as Elmira is the only Stealth mandatory datapoint..
Recommendation: Provisional decision to mandate Stealth mode for Nationals only. Revisit in
January. Organizer option for ANY Flarm mode at Regionals - mandatory unrestricted Flarm,
Pilot Option or mandatory Stealth.
UH to coordinate with IGC/UK efforts to revise Stealth mode to increase level of situational
awareness and flexibility of action for high-altitude, high-speed, head-to-head traffic conflict
scenarios (common in strong western conditions). 60-seconds of lead time was suggested as a
target. Provide access to FlarmID or FlarmNet CN in order to preempt conflict and/or coordinate
evasive action is these scenarios.

Lou,

Some of the subsequent wording about "Competition Mode" since the RC meeting is unfortunate as "Competition Mode" is already an existing, documented mode in Flarm That mode is not the subject of any RC discussion or decision.. All of the discussion and decision-making is about "Stealth Mode" - which is coded PRIV in the Flarm configuration manual. The subsequent mention of "Competition Mode" simply reflects a view that "Stealth" may be to much of a charged term, but that view does not represent an official change in terminology. We should all stick to calling it "Stealth" to avoid any further confusion.

As to the vote by the RC on Flarm Stealth Mode, yes, it does mandate Stealth Mode for 2016 US Nationals (but not Regionals). That vote is provisional and subject to review based on confirmation that work already ongoing in the UK and Europe to modify Stealth mode adequately addresses specific US concerns about situational awareness as described in the RC meeting minutes plus a general review of any other relevant concerns as to the availability, testing and overall impact of the modified Stealth Mode on the safety, fairness, organizer requirements and satisfaction of US National Soaring Contests. The RC will review status and finalize a decision later this month prior to final recommendations to the SSA Board of Directors.

Hope that helps.

9B

Old January 4th 16, 04:03 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
MNLou
external usenet poster

Default RC Clarification

Thank you very much for the clarification Gentlemen!

Lou