WINGS: When do the clocks start ticking?

Old January 29th 04, 06:01 PM
Andrew Gideon

Default WINGS: When do the clocks start ticking?

I just received my first WINGS pin the other day. I'd not known what to
expect, and the little pin and certificate were nice to receive.

But I'm wondering now about a couple of aspects to this with respect to
timing. Understand that the various requirements to this program were
satisfied over a period of many months. More, I didn't actually send the
application in until well after I completed the final requirement.

I know that I can only do this once a year. But where does the year start?
That is, can I get my next WINGS pin 12 months after I completed the
requirements for this pin? Or is it 12 months after I received this one?
Must I wait a year before taking training I can count towards the pin?

More importantly, what does this do to by BFR's clock? From when do I start
counting that? Is it when I received the pin, when I completed the last
requirement, the first requirement, or something else?

Thanks...
- Andrew

Old January 30th 04, 07:12 AM
Robert Easton

Enclosed below is the Advisory Circular, AC 61-91 Pilot Proficiency Program
Awards. A wings award counts as a BFR, so you are good for 24 months after
receiving one, (just like a check ride). You can earn your next wings
during the next 12 months after completing the requirements of your
previous award. From my understanding, the aviation insurance companies are
the ones behind the program, as it's more thorough, (safety meeting and 3
hrs dual vs. 1 hr ground and 1 hr dual flight with a BFR). I've always
learned something from the safety meetings. They're free ground school in
my opinion. Fly Safe!

Robert Easton

PP-ASEL-IA (the ink is still we on the IA)

Wings Level IV

FAA A&P

CO Avionics tech

"Andrew Gideon" wrote in message
online.com...
[...]

Advisory
Circular Date : 4/26/96 AC No: 61-91H
Initiated by: AFS-810 Change:

Subject: PILOT PROFICIENCY AWARD PROGRAM

1. PURPOSE. This advisory circular (AC) describes the Federal Aviation
Administration's (FAA) Pilot Proficiency Award Program and outlines the
eligibility requirements for pilots to qualify for Phase I through Phase XX
Pilot Proficiency Awards.

2. OBJECTIVE. Regular proficiency training is essential to the safety
of all pilots and their passengers. The objective of the Pilot Proficiency
Award Program is to provide pilots with the opportunity to establish and
participate in a personal recurrent training program. Aviation safety is a
cooperative effort of all members of the aviation community. The FAA
encourages each pilot to establish a regular recurrent training program and
invites pilots to participate in the Pilot Proficiency Award Program.

3. CANCELLATION. AC 61-91G, Pilot Proficiency Award Program, dated
8/4/94, is canceled.

4. WHO MAY PARTICIPATE. All pilots holding a recreational pilot
certificate or higher and a current medical certificate, when required, may
participate. In addition, uncertificated pilots of qualified ultralight
vehicles under Title 14 of the Federal Code of Regulations (14 CFR) part 103
may participate. Requests to participate in the program should be made to a
certificated flight instructor, an appointed Aviation Safety Counselor
(ASC), or the Safety Program Manager (SPM) in the local FAA Flight Standards
District Office (FSDO).

5. INCENTIVE AWARDS - PILOT WINGS AND CERTIFICATE. The Pilot
Proficiency Award Program is now a 20-phase program. Upon completion of each
of the first 10 phases, pilots become eligible to wear and are presented
with a distinctive lapel or tie pin (wings) and a certificate of completion.

Phase I wings are plain bronze tone. Phase II wings are silver tone
with a star added. Phase III wings are gold tone with a star and wreath.
Phase IV wings are gold tone and have a simulated ruby mounted in the
shield. Phase V wings are gold tone with a rhinestone mounted in the shield.
Phase VI wings are gold tone with a simulated sapphire mounted in the
shield. Phases VII, VIII, and IX wings are gold tone with the appropriate
Roman numeral displayed within the wreath. Phase X wings are bright gold
tone with the Roman numeral X and shield located within a ring of 10 stars.
No complimentary wings will be issued. Pilots, regardless of certificate
type, ratings, or position, must earn the privilege of wearing the pilot
proficiency wings. A pin and certificate will be awarded for Phases I
through X. A certificate only will be awarded for Phases XI through XX.

6. PARTICIPATION IN THE PILOT PROFICIENCY AWARD PROGRAM IN LIEU OF A
FLIGHT REVIEW. A pilot need not accomplish the flight review requirements of
14 CFR part 61, ~ 61.56 if, since the beginning of the 24th calendar month
before the month in which that pilot acts as pilot in command, he or she has
satisfactorily completed one or more phases of an FAA-sponsored Pilot
Proficiency Award Program in an aircraft (reference 61.56(f)).

7. TRAINING REQUIREMENTS PHASES I THROUGH XX. Minimum requirements,
which include specific subjects and flight maneuvers, have been established
for airplanes, seaplanes and amphibians, rotorcraft, gliders,
lighter-than-air aircraft and ultralight. The required training profiles
represent those phases of operation that have been identified by accident
reports, as phases most likely to produce accidents. These training profiles
are established for each category of aircraft. Pilots may select the
category and class of aircraft or ultralight in which they wish to receive
their flight training. All training must place special emphasis on safety of
flight operations. All training requirements for each phase of the program
must be completed within 12 months. After completing a phase of the program,
pilots may begin working on the requirements of the succeeding phase at any
time; however, 12 months must pass between the date of completion of it
phase and application for tile award for the next phase.

a. Airplanes.

(1) One hour of flight training to include basic airplane control
stalls, turns, and other maneuvers directed toward mastery of the airplane.

(2) One hour of flight training to include approaches, takeoffs, and
landings, including crosswind. soft field, and short field techniques.

(3) One hour of instrument training in an airplane, FAA-approved
aircraft simulator or training device.

d. Gliders.

(1) One hour of ground training to include preflight operations.
including installation of wings and tail surfaces, on-line inspection, use
of glider operating limitations, weight and balance computations,
performance data, and standard emergency procedures.

(2) One hour or three flights to include launch procedures, proper
position during tow, emergency procedures such as a slack line or tow rope
failure, and tow release procedures.

(3) One hour or three flights to include thermalling procedures,
flight in close proximity to other aircraft, maneuvers at various
performance speeds, demonstration of best lift over drag (L/D) and minimum
sink, and precision approaches and landings.

f. Ultralights. Pilot Proficiency Award Program training given in
powered ultralight vehicles by United States Ultralight Association, Inc.
(USUA)-approved flight instructors or other approved powered ultralight
flight instructors will be accepted.

(1) One hour of ground training on preflight operations to include
operating limitations, weight and balance computations, performance data,
vehicle servicing, use of optional equipment, and standard emergency
equipment.

(2) One hour of basic vehicle control, turns and other maneuvers
directed towards mastery of the vehicle.

(3) One hour of flight training to include airport and traffic pattern
operations, including departures, normal and crosswind approaches and
landings, maximum performance takeoffs, and steep approaches.

g. Mountain Flying Course. Applicants who successfully complete an
FAA-sponsored or FAA sanctioned mountain flying course, including ground and
flight training, may substitute this course for the safety meeting required
by subparagraph h when completing all other mountain flying requirements.

(1) One hour of flight training to include basic airplane control,
stalls, and other maneuvers with emphasis on the use and difference of
performing these maneuvers in mountainous terrain and under high density
altitude conditions.

(2) One hour of flight training to include approaches, takeoffs, and
landings at or simulating mountain airports with high density altitudes.

(3) One hour of ground training to include effects of high density
altitude, mountain terrain, and mountain weather conditions.

h.Safety Meetings.

(1) All applicants must attend at least one FAA-sponsored or
FAA-sanctioned aviation safety seminar or industry-conducted recurrent
training program.

(2) Attendance at an Aviation Safety Program aviation safety seminar
must be verified in the pilot's logbook or other proficiency record. This
verification must be signed by an FAA SPM, other FAA inspector, or an ASC
involved in conducting the seminar.

(3) Attendance at a physiological training course conducted under the
FAA/U.S. Air Force or U.S. Navy training agreements at various military
installations in the United States is also acceptable as a safety meeting.
It is necessary to complete AC Form 3150-7, Physiological Training
Application/ Agreement, to participate in physiological training. The form
may be obtained from the SPM in the local FSDO or by a letter of request to:

Mike Monroney Aeronautical Center
Airman Education Programs, AAM-400
P.O. Box 25082
Oklahoma City, OK 73125

Pilots who do not wish to participate in physiological training need
not complete the form. Pilots completing a physiological training course
will receive FAA Form 3150-1, Physiological Training. A completed FAA Form
3150-1 must be submitted to the SPM for verification of course completion.

i. Training Substitution. Completion of training program or a flight
instructor refresher clinic conducted by various organizations such as
flight schools, air carriers, or other training facilities may be
substituted for the requirements of the Pilot Proficiency Award Program, if
the minimums outlined in paragraphs 7a, b, c, d, e, f, and g are met.

j. Aircraft Accidents and Enforcement Actions. Involvement in an
aircraft or ultralight vehicle accident and/or a pending or completed
enforcement action will not preclude participation in the Pilot Proficiency
Award Program. However, a pilot who has been involved in an accident or
enforcement action should request that the flight instructor place special
emphasis on the causal factors of the accident or enforcement action during
pilot proficiency training. The instructor should focus the training on
educating the pilot in ways to preclude future accidents or enforcement
actions.

8. PILOT PROFICIENCY AWARDS EARNED BY FLIGHT INSTRUCTORS.

a. Phase I Through III Requirements. A certificated flight instructor,
USUA-approved flight instructor, or other approved powered ultralight flight
instructor may earn Phases I through III wings by providing the required
instruction for completion of a phase of the Pilot Proficiency Award Program
to three pilots (a minimum of 9 hours of instruction). To qualify for a
Phase I wings award, an instructor must document the completion of the
training he or she has given to at least three pilots and attend or
participate in an aviation safety seminar or clinic. The instruction given
must be in accordance with paragraphs 7a, b, c, or d, e, f, or g, as
appropriate. The completion of the required instruction for three additional
pilots and attendance or participation in an additional safety seminar or
clinic is required to earn a Phase II award. An instructor may repeat the
requirements stipulated for a Phase II award to earn a Phase III award.

b. Phase IV Through XX Requirements. Twelve months after the date of
meeting the requirements for the Phase III award, a certificated flight
instructor, USUA-approved flight instructor, or other approved powered
ultralight flight instructor may apply for the Phase IV award. Phases IV
through XX award wings and/or certificate may be earned by the successful
completion of an evaluation or proficiency flight with a designated flight
instructor examiner or an FAA operations inspector and by attending or
participating in an aviation safety seminar or clinic. USUA-approved or
other approved powered ultralight vehicle flight instructors may receive
their evaluations or proficiency flights with a USUA-approved advanced
flight instructor. Twelve months must pass between the date of completion of
each phase and application for the award for the next phase.

c. Safety Meetings. Flight instructors and powered ultralight vehicle
flight instructors must also attend or participate in at least one
FAA-sponsored or FAA-sanctioned aviation safety seminar, attend an
FAA-approved Flight Instructor Refresher Clinic, or complete a physiological
training course as specified in paragraph 7h(3) to meet the requirements for
each phase of the awards. Attendance must also be verified in the flight
instructor's logbook or other proficiency record. This verification must be
signed by an SPM, other FAA inspector, or any ASC involved in conducting the
above programs.

9. AWARDING OF THE PILOT PROFICIENCY WINGS AND CERTIFICATE.

a. Endorsement Verification. As pilots complete each step of training
outlined in paragraphs 7 or 8, whichever is appropriate, their logbooks or
other proficiency records must be endorsed by the persons who gave the
instruction. That endorsement should read substantively as follows:

Mr./Ms._________________, holder of pilot certificate
no.___________, has satisfactorily completed the training requirements
outlined in Advisory Circular 61-91H, paragraphs 7a, b, c, d, e, f, or g
(state which)
/s/ (date) M. Smith, 385652472CFI or
/s/ (date) M. Smith, USUA Ultralight Instructor (or other approved
instructor)123454

Note: In the case of ultralights, no certificate number is required.

b. Award of Pilot Proficiency Wings and Certificate. The Pilot
Proficiency Award certificate and the appropriate wings will be awarded
after the pilot's logbook or other proficiency record (such as a properly
documented "wings card") is presented to the SPM for verification of
completion of training as stipulated in this AC.

William J. White

Deputy Director, Flight Standards Service

Old January 30th 04, 03:01 PM
James M. Knox

"Robert Easton" wrote in
:

Enclosed below is the Advisory Circular, AC 61-91 Pilot Proficiency
Program Awards. A wings award counts as a BFR, so you are good for 24
months after receiving one, (just like a check ride). You can earn
your next wings during the next 12 months after completing the
requirements of your previous award.

So as I read the AC (and trying to answer Andrew's questions):

o The effective "BFR" date (i.e. when you are again covered for 24
calendar months) starts the DATE of the last necessary part of the
WINGS. Example: If you flew two hours for WINGS, then a month later
attended a safety program, then another month later flew another WINGS
hour, it's the date of that LAST flight hour that starts the clock.
[This agrees with what I have always understood.]

o The "once per year" thing seems a bit more complicated. As I read the
AC you can finish a WINGS set one day, then go out two days later and do
the whole thing over again (3 hours flying plus safety seminar)... you
just can't send the little blue card in to the FSDO for another 12
months.

FWIW... Back when this stuff all started there was frequently a BIG
delay in receiving the pin and certificate. The date on the certificate
might be dated months after anything you had done (i.e. it was dated the
day the FAA guy signed it and put it in the mail). The last few years
the ones I have received have always been dated the last date on the
list on the blue card. [Which would be consistent with the first bullet
above.]

James M. Knox
TriSoft ph 512-385-0316
1109-A Shady Lane fax 512-366-4331
Austin, Tx 78721
Old January 30th 04, 03:56 PM
Andrew Gideon

James M. Knox wrote:

o The effective "BFR" date (i.e. when you are again covered for 24
calendar months) starts the DATE of the last necessary part of the
WINGS. Example: If you flew two hours for WINGS, then a month later
attended a safety program, then another month later flew another WINGS
hour, it's the date of that LAST flight hour that starts the clock.
[This agrees with what I have always understood.]

Ah. That's what I'm missing. Where in the AC did you find this? (And how
did I miss it? {8^)

o The "once per year" thing seems a bit more complicated. As I read the
AC you can finish a WINGS set one day, then go out two days later and do
the whole thing over again (3 hours flying plus safety seminar)... you
just can't send the little blue card in to the FSDO for another 12
months.

As I understand this then (and ignoring the calendar month issue), if I did
as you describe, I'd have to wait 363 days before I could submit the
paperwork again. Once I did submit, though, I'd push my BFR date back by
two days.

Yes?

FWIW... Back when this stuff all started there was frequently a BIG
delay in receiving the pin and certificate. The date on the certificate
might be dated months after anything you had done (i.e. it was dated the
day the FAA guy signed it and put it in the mail). The last few years
the ones I have received have always been dated the last date on the
list on the blue card. [Which would be consistent with the first bullet
above.]

Duh. I never even thought to check the date on the certificate!

Thanks...

- Andrew

Old January 31st 04, 04:34 PM
James M. Knox

Andrew Gideon wrote in
online.com:

o The effective "BFR" date (i.e. when you are again covered for 24
calendar months) starts the DATE of the last necessary part of the
WINGS.

Ah. That's what I'm missing. Where in the AC did you find this?
(And how did I miss it? {8^)

It's *my* reading (i.e. good for what you paid for it G) of:

6. PARTICIPATION IN THE PILOT PROFICIENCY AWARD PROGRAM IN
LIEU OF A
FLIGHT REVIEW. A pilot need not accomplish the flight review
requirements of 14 CFR part 61, ~ 61.56 if, since the beginning
of the 24th calendar month before the month in which that pilot
acts as pilot in command, he or she has satisfactorily completed
one or more phases of an FAA-sponsored Pilot Proficiency Award
Program in an aircraft (reference 61.56(f)).

First part is clear... you don't need a BFR if in the preceding 24
calendar months you have "completed one or more phases of an FAA-
sponsored PPAP".

The point at which you have completed the phase is when you do the last
of the four items (1 flight hour in each of three areas, plus the safety
seminar), and get the appropriate wings signoff in your logbook. It
doesn't say anything about when you mail in the card, or when they
respond to it. And, as I mentioned, that now seems to also be the date
that they are putting on the certificate they eventually send back to
you.

o The "once per year" thing seems a bit more complicated. As I read
the AC you can finish a WINGS set one day, then go out two days later
and do the whole thing over again (3 hours flying plus safety
seminar)... you just can't send the little blue card in to the FSDO
for another 12 months.

As I understand this then (and ignoring the calendar month issue), if
I did as you describe, I'd have to wait 363 days before I could submit
the paperwork again. Once I did submit, though, I'd push my BFR date
back by two days.

7. TRAINING REQUIREMENTS PHASES I THROUGH XX. Minimum
requirements, ...All training requirements for
each phase of the program must be completed within 12 months.
After completing a phase of the program, pilots may begin
working on the requirements of the succeeding phase at any
time; however, 12 months must pass between the date of
completion of it phase and application for tile award for the
next phase.

This one is trickier. You have 12 months to complete an entire phase.
The 12 months can start ANYTIME after the previous phase is completed,
but you can't drag it out over five years and then turn it in for a
Wings phase.

Here's the next catch. "12 months must pass between the date of
completion of it phase and application for tile award for the
next phase." My reading of that (and it is just my reading) is that
even if you complete the necessary stuff for the next phase, you can not
*apply* (i.e. send in the card) for the next phase until 12 months have
elapsed after the date of the previous phase completion. And yeah, if
you went out the very next day and did the entire thing, it would only
extend your "BFR date" by that day. [FWIW, I checked the FAA site and
the original poster submitted the AC correctly - all those typo's and
poor grammar are really in there. G]

It sounds kinda squirrelly, but thinking about it, I'm not sure there is
much other way to word it that doesn't have all the same weirdness. You
don't want someone going through 25 wing phases in a month. You don't
want someone claiming that this made them BFR-proficient when they only
flew one hour per year. And you don't want someone claiming they are
BFR-proficient because they sent in the blue card - for stuff they did
five years ago. This seems to take care of all those cases.

Again, just my understanding of it, which (to me) looks like it is
supported by the language of the AC. Contradicting opinions welcomed.

Old February 3rd 04, 06:21 AM

My interpretation is that the day you completed the requirements (as
noted in your logbook) for the Wings program, the clock re-starts on
both the 1-year minimum-between-Wings-awards and the BFR clock.

How long it takes for the FAA to send out the Wings Of Tin is beyond our
control.

Dave Blevins
Wings x 2