Confessions of a Flarm Follower

Old December 31st 15, 02:22 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Andrzej Kobus

Default Confessions of a Flarm Follower

On Wednesday, December 30, 2015 at 8:56:42 PM UTC-5, wrote:

Your statement "Flarm pushers have been using "safety" as a cover" is a pretty bad accusation directed towards people who brought Flarm to the USA.

Another of your comment "Flarm advocates have never really cared about collision avoidance as the PRIMARY function of Flarm"

Your above comment is simply ridiculous and offending to many people. You might consider rethinking before you post next time.

Old December 31st 15, 02:22 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

The question at hand is flarm or stealth mode. In the context of the other rules, that means either a tactical game with a lot of gaggling and following by eyeball, or with somewhat looser gaggling and following by flarm.

John Cochrane BB

OK, so if the question is "flarm or stealth mode", what do you say if it turns out that unlimited tactical use of Flarm actually degrades safety more than stealth mode might?
Old December 31st 15, 02:38 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Casey Cox

Riddle me this please.

I see all this for and against FLARM and for and against stealth mode due to leaching and ruining the sport of competitive soaring that lets the best pilot of picking the best track win, and from my perspective of a non-competitive pilot, when it looks to me that the gliders are the lest regulated part of the sport.

Are the top pilots or all pilots flying the same glider?
Are gliders that close to performance to be negligible?
What about GPS, are they the same?
Are the handicaps accurate or should there be a world class glider?
Can the old HP pilots with their sectional compete with the billionaire with his electronics?

Not trying to troll or steal the thread, but instead just would like a comp pilots to a non-comp pilot perspective on is one thing more advantageous over an other or is everything I just mentioned apples and oranges?
Old December 31st 15, 02:44 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Wednesday, December 30, 2015 at 8:22:30 PM UTC-6, Andrzej Kobus wrote:
On Wednesday, December 30, 2015 at 8:56:42 PM UTC-5, wrote:

Your statement "Flarm pushers have been using "safety" as a cover" is a pretty bad accusation directed towards people who brought Flarm to the USA.

Another of your comment "Flarm advocates have never really cared about collision avoidance as the PRIMARY function of Flarm"

Your above comment is simply ridiculous and offending to many people. You might consider rethinking before you post next time.

Sorry if I offended you Andrzej, I apologize for not making it clear that I was not referring to the developers or the vendors of Flarm. My post was directed only towards those pilots who have vigorously pushed Flarm under the somewhat transparent guise of "safety" when what they really care about is tactical advantage. Those who protest vehemently against stealth mode on the basis of reduced safety, give away their true agenda when they refuse to at least acknowledge that tactical use of Flarm raises the potential for degradation of safety. Do we know that the current stealth mode, or a future "competition" mode will reduce safety more than increased head-down time or intentional suppression of antennas, or..?

I am not against Flarm. I have flown with Flarm in contests for it's stated purpose as a collision avoidance tool and found it useful.
Old December 31st 15, 03:19 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
JS

What a laugh.
Bring back the primitive FLARMs which you never looked at until they made noise.
Oh, that's right... Americans weren't allowed to have them!
Seems from these recent threads there was a good reason for that rule.
Jim
Old December 31st 15, 04:18 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
jfitch

On Wednesday, December 30, 2015 at 6:44:35 PM UTC-8, wrote:
SNIP when what they really care about is tactical advantage.
Perhaps you can explain to me how it is a tactical advantage to have exactly the same information as everyone else?

Sure, if you refuse to use it then you put yourself at a tactical disadvantage. The same can be said about your variometer, GPS, and altimeter. There is no tactical advantage to Flarm if all contestants have them.

In fact the same arguments used against Flarm (replaces pilot skill with technology) is at least as true of every other instrument in the panel. It is becoming increasingly clear that the detractors of Flarm are simply technophobes. If they believed what they said, they would also be advocating the banning of variometers, altimeters, GPS, compasses, laminar flow airfoils, etc. What are these after all, but attempts to apply technology to gain an advantage, and far more effective ones than Flarm? The really good pilots can fly without them.

To be clear, I like my variometer, GPS, altimeter, and compass because I am at an advantage compared to not having them. To a lesser extent, I like my Flarm for the same reason.
Old December 31st 15, 05:42 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
ND

In fact the same arguments used against Flarm (replaces pilot skill with technology) is at least as true of every other instrument in the panel. It is becoming increasingly clear that the detractors of Flarm are simply technophobes. If they believed what they said, they would also be advocating the banning of variometers, altimeters, GPS, compasses, laminar flow airfoils, etc. What are these after all, but attempts to apply technology to gain an advantage, and far more effective ones than Flarm? The really good pilots can fly without them.

you have one part of it wrong. no one is "afraid" of flarm. i wouldn't call detractors of flarm technophobes at all. most of those dudes (and ladies) have installed a TV screen front and center in their panel. i think labeling them as technophobes is a dismissive negative generalization that is viewed as hard to contest. well i'm contesting it. "oh... they're just technophobes, tsk tsk that won't do."

i don't agree with that at all. the truth is that they place a high value on the skill associated with keeping visual tabs on competitors, and that they also see that automating that cockpit task as negative.

you can't fault them for their opinion. it's theirs and they are entitled to it. i accept yours, regarding GPS, Vario, et cet. as a valid viewpoint.

the tactical advantage of flarm DOES come when everyone has it. but only when some start dicking with it by putting tin foil hats over the antennae. that's criminal if you ask me.
Old December 31st 15, 07:21 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
smfidler

What an absolutely ridiculous statement. I won't stand by and listen to this passively anymore. It's time to slap this stupidity down.

Powerflarm provides a moderately reliable, 2-3 mile (and a very reliable 1-2 mile) situational awareness "radar" with an advanced collision algorithm which automatically alerts any pilots involved in a potential collision well in advance of any calculated conflict possibility. This alert could come at the beginning of a slight turn or climb or descent by one or both gliders while gliders are at relatively close range. If you are entirely unaware of the other glider when you get the warning (this could suddenly be a critical warning), it's often quite a panic to locate where the threat is, especially when in close proximity. Powerflarm is carefully designed not to beep (annoy) unless there is a potential glider collision "solution." This can mean that gliders can get incredibly close without any alert or warning whatsoever. Say 100 meters side to side, etc. Not a sound is made by the POWERFlarm if both gliders are not, at that moment, tending course towards the other. Parallel courses is not a problem. Suddenly one pulls aggressively towards another and bang. The POWERFlarms alert or warning event alone is simply not sufficient to achieve truly improved safety environment in any glider contest or busy flying area (say a club flight of 2,3,4...). This is the whole point of Powerflarm vs gen 1 Flarm (simple lights O'clock above, level, below). This is also THE EXACT REASON POWERFLARM DOES NOT RECOMMEND STEALTH MODE. Many other dangerous scenarios are possible without simultaneous situational awareness and an occasional scan of the Flarm radar picture (telemetry is useless and needs less in this scan). It's about has anything new appeared nearby and it will be completely lost with stealth or competition mode.

A HUGE part of the "safety equation" POWERFlarm "used to provide" us is a much higher level of basic situational awareness. This fact is IN DIRECT CONFLICT WITH THE US RC STEALTH MANDATE (now called "competition?" mode and currently pure untested vaporware). Flarm is exactly the same debate as ADSB vs traditional ATC flight following with transponders or nothing at all (the SSA argument). Transponders are all but useless in a busy environment. TCAS was a band aid on this vastly flawed system, but even that has failed us miserably (https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Über...air_collision). GPS based data linked radar, on the other hand is very powerful improvement for aviation safety. Gliders are not the only aircraft that matter in this discussion of course. Enter ADSB (Flarms technology "big brother"). Bottom line, regardless of statistical arguments claiming we have very few collisions in glider contests, gliders hitting each-other, even once more, is unacceptable in any gliding or general aviation environment, ever again, P E R I O D. Sacrificing safety for philosophical traditionalism is unacceptable. We cannot let our safety guard down, for a second, ever. Yet here we are having this discussion...and facing an RC almost immediate US RC mandate of said POWERFlarm SA lobotomy.

Anyone who has seriously competed with a POWERFlarm (several years experience over 15+ flarm equipped contests, from a few gliders at first to most or all in 2015 contests, or a thermal at a World Championships, etc) would fully understand that a POWERFLARM is PRIMARILY (and by far) a "safety device" which may occasionally help alert its owner (and the potential conflict owner) to a dangerous collision threat which they may have otherwise been entirely unaware of without POWERFlarm. Again, the "warning" itself is very small piece of the total safety value.

A huge part of value this SAFETY DEVICE creates is the natural capability to generally "notice" another glider in the immediate area (2-3 miles, or less) which otherwise would be completely unknown (back to the Stone Age, or with Stealth or Comp mode). This problem happens ALL THE TIME in starting areas for example. It also happens approaching or departing thermals, ridges, etc.

The idea of "killing" the situational awareness value of this obvious and clear SAFETY DEVICE in such a rapid, untested and unnecessary philosophical "technology jihad" has been awe inspiring to behold. The almost childlike comments from the peanut mob are equally amazing. These two campaigns are in direct conflict. Let's be honest. One philosophically says position data and telemetry is unfair (even though all have equal capability, and zero objective evidence of value has been provided) and it must all be struck down and lobotomized entirely, immediately, with angry accusations about pilot cheating motives for purchase (not safety at all) and the other saying that situational awareness is important to the safety environment, tech is OK, there is no real evidence, everyone has the same view, it's not a big deal competitively, calm down, breath, etc. I'm starting to lean back to to stand with this group on general principle.

Without the situational awareness picture provided by the POWERFlarm, we are absolutely and considerably debilitating the basic safety elements of the POWERFlarm system by removing the pilots ability to notice other yet visually undetected gliders around them. A main cause of recent most collisions in the USA (Uvalde, Minden?).

There are absolutely going to be unintended consequences by lobotomizing POWERFlarm situational awareness, depending on the specific and entirely unreleased technical requirements of the "competition mode" that Flarm is supposedly working on for the US rules committee. I wonder who is paying them for this work, this testing? At this point, committing to the promise of its safe function is reckless and hard to imagine.

The 1-2 or 2-3 mile situational awareness picture provided by the POWERFlarm instrument and its basic display is critical to the overall safety process POWERFlarm provides. This is an absolute fact and I will argue as necessary to substantiate it by citing numerous personal videos (never before shown) and corresponding SeeYou examples, etc.

Finally, I find the ridiculous statements in this topic that everyone bought POWERFlarm to track competitors (leech) and not as a safety device to be absolutely unacceptable. The person saying this, is out of order. No apology is sufficient. Such statements are dangerous, reckless and factually pathetic.

The recent "apology" was a joke and hopefully is not accepted.

Sean
Old December 31st 15, 07:28 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
BobW

In fact the same arguments used against Flarm (replaces pilot skill with
technology) is at least as true of every other instrument in the panel.
It is becoming increasingly clear that the detractors of Flarm are simply
technophobes...

I wouldn't call detractors of flarm technophobes at all. Snip... I think
labeling them as technophobes is a dismissive negative generalization that
is viewed as hard to contest. well i'm contesting it. "oh... they're just
technophobes, tsk tsk that won't do."

I don't agree with that at all. the truth is that they place a high value
on the skill associated with keeping visual tabs on competitors, and that
they also see that automating that cockpit task as negative.

you can't fault them for their opinion. it's theirs and they are entitled
to it. i accept yours, regarding GPS, Vario, et cet. as a valid viewpoint.

The reply above beat me to the draw...

As someone with no dog in the contest-centric portion of this fight - but with
a genuine interest in listening to others' thoughts on "the whole FLARM
discussion," I 100% agree that the word "technophobe" in the claim, "It is
becoming increasingly clear that the detractors of Flarm are simply
technophobes..." can too easily be taken as a dismissive attempt to stifle
open discussion. I think we can do better.

By personal choice, I XC-soared for ~2 decades sans electrical system and
electric vario, many years of that without even a handheld radio.
Work-concurrently, I also spent some years developing and supporting
production processes for hard disk heads (which "fly" on individual molecules
of air; ever wonder why they're not spec-ed to work at high altitudes?) and
mass production of the ever-miniaturizing hard disk drives most of us use
without giving 'em a second thought...tooling tolerances in the low-singles of
4 non-metric decimal digits. Regardless of my choices of what technology to
use or not to use, a technophobe I am not. I suspect many others feel
generally similarly about their own technology choices.

Bob W.

P.S. I could've simply replied "B.S.!" as a form of shorthand to the
"technophobe" claim, but then shorthand is so easily mis-interpreted. :-)
Old December 31st 15, 09:16 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Sean,
Happy New Year. Hope your having a beer some place nice.

Doesn't the 5 km radius plus enhancements for head to head described UH's post give us the same SA as the 2-3 miles you are talking about. What is missing is contest ID and climb rate. It seems to me these are not needed for collision avoidance.
Also, Reading the Flarm spec it specifically calls for manufacturers of display devices to NOT draw the eyes of the pilot back into the cockpit. This business of using contest Id's to coordinate evasive action seems unwise. Better to use the right of way rules to take smooth course correction in a timely manner, always looking for that second and third aircraft.

The often quoted manufacturers recommendation to not enable stealth is taken out of context. They are cautioning that leaving the Flarm in stealth when not at a contest will, of course, limit what is displayed on your Flarm and others. This designed feature is for use at contests not general flying.

XC

What Flarm really needs... [email protected] Soaring 25 June 20th 15 08:34 PM
Flarm IGC files on non-IGC certified Flarm? Movses Soaring 21 March 16th 15 09:59 PM
Car Flarm [email protected] Soaring 18 February 8th 14 02:31 AM
IGC FLARM DLL [email protected] Soaring 1 March 25th 08 11:27 AM
Confessions of a Dumb Guy Veeduber Home Built 15 September 15th 03 06:19 PM