Holy UAT, Batman

Old January 3rd 16, 02:30 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
JS

Default Holy UAT, Batman

What in-panel glider hardware will accept GDL90 format information?
Or is there some sort of G'zinta box to convert?
Jim
Old January 3rd 16, 02:38 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Andy Blackburn[_3_]

Somebody needs to write a Pi2 software routine to output NMEA plus whatever weather format LX Nav is accepting. It seems to me the traffic data needs to go out on a serial port and the weather would be via WiFi hotspot since that is what LXNav is using. I doubt they are in a hurry to build something that would only work in the US so you'd need to spoof what they are delivering via cellular data and WiFi hotspot - assuming it's not encrypted.

You'd need ADS-B Out with the right configuration to get TIS-B except for the random output meant for other aircraft.

9B

Old January 3rd 16, 03:53 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Andrzej Kobus

On Saturday, January 2, 2016 at 9:38:30 PM UTC-5, Andy Blackburn wrote:
Somebody needs to write a Pi2 software routine to output NMEA plus whatever weather format LX Nav is accepting. It seems to me the traffic data needs to go out on a serial port and the weather would be via WiFi hotspot since that is what LXNav is using. I doubt they are in a hurry to build something that would only work in the US so you'd need to spoof what they are delivering via cellular data and WiFi hotspot - assuming it's not encrypted.

You'd need ADS-B Out with the right configuration to get TIS-B except for the random output meant for other aircraft.

9B

If there is one ADS-B out glider in a contest it will allow a bunch of other gliders to receive the data, although not with 15 nm radius. A few gliders could almost guarantee full picture for everyone for $120 an istallation.

RC can not make ADS-B out illegal. I already have ADS-B out as well as ADS-B in on both UAT and 1090 frequencies.

The prices of ADS-B out will be continuously coming down and installing one for experimental gliders is not a problem even today. With the Garmin new unit for $845 I am sure we will see more ADS-B out gliders soon if one already has a Trig 22 transponder, there is little reason not to do it.

There are more and more planes installing ADS-B out so even if someone does not have "out" they can still see a lot of traffic. That is true on Northern New England.

I would not have a problem with voluntarily restricting what I have in my cockpit for contest purposes as long as my safety is not jeopardized like with the Stealth mode.

holy smokes YouTube landing [email protected] Soaring 36 July 11th 07 08:18 PM
The Holy Shroud Acrux Piloting 3 September 29th 06 02:16 AM
Holy $#$ - eBay Copter Jimbob Home Built 37 September 13th 05 10:58 PM
Holy $#$ - eBay Copter Jimbob Piloting 23 September 13th 05 10:58 PM