A aviation & planes forum. AviationBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » AviationBanter forum » rec.aviation newsgroups » Soaring
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Holy UAT, Batman

Old January 3rd 16, 02:30 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
JS
external usenet poster

Default Holy UAT, Batman

What in-panel glider hardware will accept GDL90 format information?
Or is there some sort of G'zinta box to convert?
Jim
Old January 3rd 16, 02:38 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Andy Blackburn[_3_]
external usenet poster

Default Holy UAT, Batman

Somebody needs to write a Pi2 software routine to output NMEA plus whatever weather format LX Nav is accepting. It seems to me the traffic data needs to go out on a serial port and the weather would be via WiFi hotspot since that is what LXNav is using. I doubt they are in a hurry to build something that would only work in the US so you'd need to spoof what they are delivering via cellular data and WiFi hotspot - assuming it's not encrypted.

You'd need ADS-B Out with the right configuration to get TIS-B except for the random output meant for other aircraft.

9B

Old January 3rd 16, 03:53 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Andrzej Kobus
external usenet poster

Default Holy UAT, Batman

On Saturday, January 2, 2016 at 9:38:30 PM UTC-5, Andy Blackburn wrote:
Somebody needs to write a Pi2 software routine to output NMEA plus whatever weather format LX Nav is accepting. It seems to me the traffic data needs to go out on a serial port and the weather would be via WiFi hotspot since that is what LXNav is using. I doubt they are in a hurry to build something that would only work in the US so you'd need to spoof what they are delivering via cellular data and WiFi hotspot - assuming it's not encrypted.

You'd need ADS-B Out with the right configuration to get TIS-B except for the random output meant for other aircraft.

9B

If there is one ADS-B out glider in a contest it will allow a bunch of other gliders to receive the data, although not with 15 nm radius. A few gliders could almost guarantee full picture for everyone for $120 an istallation.

RC can not make ADS-B out illegal. I already have ADS-B out as well as ADS-B in on both UAT and 1090 frequencies.

The prices of ADS-B out will be continuously coming down and installing one for experimental gliders is not a problem even today. With the Garmin new unit for $845 I am sure we will see more ADS-B out gliders soon if one already has a Trig 22 transponder, there is little reason not to do it.

There are more and more planes installing ADS-B out so even if someone does not have "out" they can still see a lot of traffic. That is true on Northern New England.

I would not have a problem with voluntarily restricting what I have in my cockpit for contest purposes as long as my safety is not jeopardized like with the Stealth mode.