The truth about Flarm Stealth and Competition definition...

Old January 2nd 16, 11:58 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
smfidler

Default The truth about Flarm Stealth and Competition definition...

OK, the peanut gallergy is driving me crazy. So I did a quick internet search and found this very relevant document from FLARM:

How to Use FLARM(R) in Gliding Competitions?
http://www.segelflugbedarf24.de/flar...mpetitions.pdf

The document includes some pretty interesting descriptons of what "stealth and competition mode" are and, more imortantly are not. Based on the discussions here...I am shocked. I honestly have no idea what the RC is expecting Flarm to magically become...whith a new version of competiton mode. I have a guess...MORE DANGEROUS! USELESS?

From the document...

COMPETITION MODE: Basically, according to FLARM, this simply TUNES DOWN the number of alerts. THATS IT!
Competition Mode
Traffic alerts are issued based on an algorithmic assessment of potentially dangerous traffic. These algorithms have been greatly improved in version 4of the firmware. Nevertheless, as a competition pilot, you might want this assessment to result in less alerts, i.e. increase the level of danger above which an alert is issued. Consequently, if you check 'Competition Mode (less Alarms)' in the official FlarmTool PC software, then alert distances and alert times are reduced by approximately 2 seconds; this reduces nuisance alerts in high-density traffic but REQUIRES FASTER ACTION.
Other things to do if FLARM is too distracting:
- turn volume down / off (don't forget to turn it up again) - double-click the button (suppresses alarms for
5 minutes, but other aircraft will still get alarms)

REQUIRES FASTER ACTION? WFT? WTF?

STEALTH MODE: From Flarm itself..."Stealth mode inherently reduces some of the benefits of situation awareness for yourself and surrounding aircraft. We do not recommend the use of Stealth mode, but it is better than turning FLARM(R) off for tactical reasons."
"Stealth Mode
The data FLARM(R) receives from other is available at the serial port to external devices like PDA's or graphical displays which can thus display the nearby environment in detail. While this information is useful for you, you might not want your competitors to make use of this information, and others might have the similar asymmetrical preferences. With the stealth mode (named 'Privacy' before) in FLARM(R), you can choose the trade-off acceptable for you between two modes:
* 'Stealth Mode' unchecked: you have full access to the data you receive from others with Stealth Mode disabled and, and others have full access to the data you send about yourself if they have Stealth Mode disabled, or
* 'Stealth Mode' checked: you have limited access to the data you receive from others and, and others have limited access to the data you send about yourself independent of their Stealth Mode setting.
Stealth mode inherently reduces some of the benefits of situation awareness for yourself and surrounding aircraft. We do not recommend the use of Stealth mode, but it is better than turning FLARM(R) off for tactical reasons.
Note that the FLARM(R) flight log-file stores the information on stealth settings and changes so a competition authority could easily enforce the use (or non-use) if desirable. Changes to stealth mode are effective with a two minute delay, see the manual for details."

Again: Flarm states, "STEALTH MODE INHERENTLY REDUCES (R E D U C E S) SOME OF THE BENIFITS OF THE SITUATIONAL AWARENESS (S I T U A T I O N A L A W A R E N E S S.....!!!!!) FOR YOURSELF AND SURROUNDING AIRCRAFT!!!!!!!!"

WIth that, I have absolutely no idea what we are expecting "competition mode 2.0" to solve for us. It must a flavor of Stealth mode that the RC must be pushing. You know, the one that requires FASTER ACTION! Competition mode actually DE-TUNES close in alerts as not to annoy a pilot who is highly tuned and alert to traffic already. WFT? DE-TUNES SAFETY? Probably why they dont recommend it, hmmm?

Anyway, I thought this document was interesting. If it has not been previously shared, Im shocked. But just encase, there you go.

We need to stop the madness and think about what we are doing...THIS IS MADNESS.

Sean
Old January 3rd 16, 12:42 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Charlie M. (UH & 002 owner/pilot)

On Saturday, January 2, 2016 at 6:58:27 PM UTC-5, smfidler wrote:
OK, the peanut gallergy is driving me crazy. So I did a quick internet search and found this very relevant document from FLARM:

How to Use FLARM(R) in Gliding Competitions?
http://www.segelflugbedarf24.de/flar...mpetitions.pdf

The document includes some pretty interesting descriptons of what "stealth and competition mode" are and, more imortantly are not. Based on the discussions here...I am shocked. I honestly have no idea what the RC is expecting Flarm to magically become...whith a new version of competiton mode. I have a guess...MORE DANGEROUS! USELESS?

From the document...

[...]

I'm curious how old that document is........ The "competition mode" may be an old one and NOT relevant to the current proposed one from the SSA RC and other national RC groups.

This page (document date of March 2015...)..... http://flarm.com/wp-content/uploads/...ual_226_EN.pdf has some other info.

The major point (in my eye) is on page 13, paragraph 3 where it states (Flarm states in their document) that in OPTIMUM installations, forward range exceeds 5KM, other directions is 3KM.

Thus, the SSA RC wanting to possibly limit range to 5KM (in a proposed competition mode "that does not exist yet" to replace the current stealth mode) fits within what some pilots want and is within what Flarm is willing to state.
Old January 3rd 16, 01:37 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Ron Gleason

On Saturday, 2 January 2016 16:58:27 UTC-7, smfidler wrote:
OK, the peanut gallergy is driving me crazy. So I did a quick internet search and found this very relevant document from FLARM:

How to Use FLARM(R) in Gliding Competitions?
http://www.segelflugbedarf24.de/flar...mpetitions.pdf

The document includes some pretty interesting descriptons of what "stealth and competition mode" are and, more imortantly are not. Based on the discussions here...I am shocked. I honestly have no idea what the RC is expecting Flarm to magically become...whith a new version of competiton mode. I have a guess...MORE DANGEROUS! USELESS?

From the document...

[...]

If you do not like the first answer keep searching till you find what you do like! All kidding aside you are illustrating one of the challenges and problems with the FLARM and PowerFLARM technology and solution.

While I have seen the referenced document I do not know what version of the technology it is referencing and illustrating. Is it FLARM or PowerFLARM? What firmware version? Does it apply to functionality delivered by the CORE technology or CORE technology and third party vendors? Does the PC configuration tool still exist and what is the relationship to the online configuration tool?

I encourage the FLARM developers/company to make sure they date stamp every document, reference the relevant hardware and software, expiration date and any other information that allows the end user to understand the relevance.

Many folks on this forum and the SSA RC knows what it takes to think of, design, develop, deliver, test, QA, document, release, deliver and support quality life dependent software. For some reason many of these folks appear to want to forget the disciplines of what it takes to 'do it right' or IMO they are mi optic and are trying to forward their agendas.

IMO the right course of action for the SSA RC is to allow PowerFLARM devices in OPEN mode for ALL SSA sanctioned competitions. I can live with pilot choice of what MODE they want to operate in but I believe that is a compromise and would require yet another waiver to signed by all pilots competing..

Come on lets put the egos aside, the 'save the purity stances' and all other stop technology creep angles and move forward.

This is not your fathers soaring environment anymore.

Furthermore, I believe if the SSA RC requires STEALTH mode and for some reason the SSA BOD agrees you will see less organizations and individuals willing to organize and host SSA sanctioned competitions. The liability is too high. Argue you all want about the is this still competition but the number of venues hosting competitions will be so small that discussion will be moot. Go down this path is you want to kill off sanctioned competitions in the US.

Ron Gleason
Old January 3rd 16, 04:05 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Andrzej Kobus

On Saturday, January 2, 2016 at 8:37:21 PM UTC-5, Ron Gleason wrote:
On Saturday, 2 January 2016 16:58:27 UTC-7, smfidler wrote:
OK, the peanut gallergy is driving me crazy. So I did a quick internet search and found this very relevant document from FLARM:

How to Use FLARM(R) in Gliding Competitions?
http://www.segelflugbedarf24.de/flar...mpetitions.pdf

The document includes some pretty interesting descriptons of what "stealth and competition mode" are and, more imortantly are not. Based on the discussions here...I am shocked. I honestly have no idea what the RC is expecting Flarm to magically become...whith a new version of competiton mode. I have a guess...MORE DANGEROUS! USELESS?

From the document...

[...]

Ron, I don't think this statement is true "the SSA RC knows what it takes to think of, design, develop, deliver, test, QA, document, release, deliver and support quality life dependent software"

Probably only 2 guys on RC understand what it means to develop such software. Actions speak volume and the actions 3 out of 5 members of the RC committee took prove that they don't understand software development process. If they did they would have never voted on the Stealth mode or Competition mode until a proper solution was in place.

Old January 3rd 16, 08:33 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Andy Blackburn[_3_]

On Saturday, January 2, 2016 at 3:58:27 PM UTC-8, smfidler wrote:
OK, the peanut gallergy is driving me crazy. So I did a quick internet search and found this very relevant document from FLARM:

How to Use FLARM(R) in Gliding Competitions?
http://www.segelflugbedarf24.de/flar...mpetitions.pdf

The document includes some pretty interesting descriptons of what "stealth and competition mode" are and, more imortantly are not. Based on the discussions here...I am shocked. I honestly have no idea what the RC is expecting Flarm to magically become...whith a new version of competiton mode. I have a guess...MORE DANGEROUS! USELESS?

From the document...

[...]

Just to clarify - and reference to Competition Mode in reference to the most recent RC discussion is really a discussion of a proposed (though not fully specified) successor to Stealth Mode that would presumably attempt to address some of the shortcomings of the current instantiation of Stealth Mode.. Competition Mode as described in Flarm documentation was never part of the discussion and its features were NOT intended to be integrated with Stealth to create the proposed new version of Stealth.

The confusing name change (from Stealth to Competition) was because some felt the term "Stealth" made it sound too much like the user of this mode was trying to be invisible (of course that's pretty much exactly what he's trying to do). Rebranding the mode to "Competition" might not so obviously point out this fact - partly for liability concerns and partly for the hoi polloi. Of course if it ever came to it, any decent tort lawyer will look at the history and email traffic (and r.a.s. posts) and figure this out, at which point it looks like somebody was trying to cover something up.

9B
Old January 3rd 16, 08:43 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Andy Blackburn[_3_]

On Saturday, January 2, 2016 at 8:05:19 PM UTC-8, Andrzej Kobus wrote:

Probably only 2 guys on RC understand what it means to develop such software. Actions speak volume and the actions 3 out of 5 members of the RC committee took prove that they don't understand software development process. If they did they would have never voted on the Stealth mode or Competition mode until a proper solution was in place.

There are two or three software guys on the RC, depending on your definition. Some of them are optimists. :-)

There is an ongoing discussion between the IGC, representatives from UK soaring and Flarm on the topic of revisions to Stealth functionality. The RC will ascertain the status of that effort and whether specific concerns voiced by US pilots are being adequately addressed. I am hopeful that the RC would not inflict inappropriately spec'd or insufficiently tested software on the US racing pilot community. More information should be forthcoming later in the month.

9B
Old January 3rd 16, 01:09 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Hartley Falbaum[_2_]

On Saturday, January 2, 2016 at 6:58:27 PM UTC-5, smfidler wrote:
OK, the peanut gallergy is driving me crazy. So I did a quick internet search and found this very relevant document from FLARM:

How to Use FLARM(R) in Gliding Competitions?
http://www.segelflugbedarf24.de/flar...mpetitions.pdf

The document includes some pretty interesting descriptons of what "stealth and competition mode" are and, more imortantly are not. Based on the discussions here...I am shocked. I honestly have no idea what the RC is expecting Flarm to magically become...whith a new version of competiton mode. I have a guess...MORE DANGEROUS! USELESS?

From the document...

[...]

I am reading all this with interest and no knowledge. I have a FLARM, but have not flown in Stealth mode.I have read all the FLARM documentation I can find and am still confused. Please, someone, enlighten me. Does stealth mode only show collision alerts? Does Competition mode show close-in, non-threat, traffic, and suppress traffic further away? I would be really nice to know if someone is in your blind spot. It would also be nice to know that the thermal you are about to enter is populated. There are times in the southeast when visibility is quite limited. Thanks in advance

Hartley Falbaum "KF" USA
Old January 3rd 16, 07:32 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Andy Blackburn[_3_]

On Sunday, January 3, 2016 at 5:09:53 AM UTC-8, Hartley Falbaum wrote:

I am reading all this with interest and no knowledge. I have a FLARM, but have not flown in Stealth mode.I have read all the FLARM documentation I can find and am still confused. Please, someone, enlighten me. Does stealth mode only show collision alerts? Does Competition mode show close-in, non-threat, traffic, and suppress traffic further away? I would be really nice to know if someone is in your blind spot. It would also be nice to know that the thermal you are about to enter is populated. There are times in the southeast when visibility is quite limited. Thanks in advance

Hartley Falbaum "KF" USA

I believe this is the current spec for PRIV (Stealth Mode) - see p 13.

http://flarm.com/wp-content/uploads/...ation-1.02.pdf

In short, stealth suppresses all traffic information outside of a cylinder +/- 984 feet in altitude and a radius of 1.24 statue miles. Within that airspace volume it also suppresses all Flarm ID, climb rate, track and speed information for all Flarm traffic that does not have an active collision alarm. Only relative position and relative altitude (with random noise added so you can't figure out if the target is climbing) are provided inside that airspace volume. For traffic with an active collision alarm it provides all the available Flarm information EXCEPT Flarm ID, so you don't know who it is under any circumstances (which can present a problem if you have the need to call him off - though without FlarmNet or some other translation to Contest ID, it's a pretty clumsy way to address someone).

Hope that helps.

9B
Old January 3rd 16, 08:06 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Sunday, January 3, 2016 at 11:32:13 AM UTC-8, Andy Blackburn wrote:

[...]

What if the software had an option to suppress Flarm ID and climb rate, while keeping all the other Powerflarm features out to the maximum range of PowerFlarm? Wouldn't that keep all the safety features of PowerFlarm while eliminating leeching, and also preventing pilots from getting information about where the good thermals are?

Old January 3rd 16, 08:49 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Andy Blackburn[_3_]

On Sunday, January 3, 2016 at 12:06:14 PM UTC-8, wrote:
[...]

That's been discussed and would satisfy some.

Ideally you'd like ID available at minimum for traffic with an active alarm so you can say "9B turn right" at a safe distance. Relative altitude data allows some sense of climb rate - with a little math.

However, others have argued that being able to see any glider circling at beyond visual range - especially when you really need a thermal to avoid an outlanding - irreparably harms the spirit of the sport. This view contends that finding another glider climbing should depend solely on the pilot's natural visual acuity (or ability to afford Lasik).

9B