Stolen tools

Old November 8th 08, 12:52 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Tri-Pacer[_2_]

Default Stolen tools

I recent relocated to San Diego. 2 days after arrival, my truck was stolen
with all my A&P tools in my bed mounted tool box.

Should anyone in the area notice some unlikely people peddling Time-Rite,
leakdown testers, air drills, riveting stuff I'd love to hear about it. Cops
could care less. My truck was located with the tool box torn off. The
5500.00 damage will be covered by insurance, but the lost tools will be
tougher.

I'm an tooless IA I guess.

Thanks

Paul
N1431A
KSDM

paul dash anton at cox.net

Old November 8th 08, 05:04 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

On Nov 7, 4:52*pm, "Tri-Pacer" wrote:
I recent relocated to San Diego. 2 days after arrival, my truck was stolen
with all my A&P tools in my bed mounted tool box.

Should anyone in the area notice some unlikely people peddling Time-Rite,
leakdown testers, air drills, riveting stuff I'd love to hear about it. Cops
could care less. My truck was located with the tool box torn off. The
5500.00 damage will be covered by insurance, but the lost tools will be
tougher.

I'm an tooless IA I guess.

Thanks

Paul
N1431A
KSDM

Dear Paul,

Welcome to Sandy Eggo. (Yeah I know, but still... welcome aboard).
Although this Newsgroup has a lot of subscribers many of them do not
check-in on a regular basis. To make things even worse Bad Water
Bill, a main-stay on this and other Aviation-related Newsgroups
recently bought the ranch on take-off. His wife survived, however and
I suspect most of our mad-money went to flowers & such.

At a guess, your loss is probably on the order of five grand. You'll
need to identify some means for those of us who can help you to do
so.

-R.S.Hoover
Old November 8th 08, 06:17 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Tri-Pacer[_2_]

Should anyone in the area notice some unlikely people peddling Time-Rite,
leakdown testers, air drills, riveting stuff

Dear Paul,

At a guess, your loss is probably on the order of five grand. You'll
need to identify some means for those of us who can help you to do
so.

-R.S.Hoover

ID ing the stuff would be kind of tough. I think the only things I've marked
is one inch pound torque wrench and perhaps my rivet gun. I know I could
identify my Time Rite by the overspray on the wooden box. G

My wife still had a suitcase with all her clothes and some personal mementos
in the back of the truck. We had been here 2 days, unloaded the large Budget
rental truck we brought down, disconnected the trailer from the pickup and
kind of collapsed from exhaustion. The next day the truck was gone. They
punched out the door locks and twisted the lock off the steering column
perhaps 20 feet from our bedroom window.Had we not disconnected the trailer
we would have really been in deep doo doo.

I'm mostly a lurker but have been following your trials. If I can provide
any assistance I shall be happy to do so.
e-mail me at paul dash anton at cox dot net and I'll provide a phone number.

I had moved my Tri-Pacer from KPLU in Washington down to Brown Field so at
least there wasn't any flying stuff like head sets or gps in the truck.

Cheers:

Paul
N1431A
KSDM

Old November 8th 08, 11:58 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

Dear Paul,
At a guess, your loss is probably on the order of five grand. You'll
need to identify some means for those of us who can help you, to do
so.

e-mail me at paul dash anton at cox dot net and I'll provide a phone number.

Security-wise, that won't work. Anyone can call me, claiming to be
you. We need a data element commonly known to you & me but which would
be unknown to someone NOT associated with aviation. Also, right now,
here in San Diego, aviation- related equipment is a drug on the market
and most of it is being sold by someone who is NOT the owner. That
is, the equipment belonged to a dead homebuilder whose wife or other
relative who has asked someone in the local EAA Chapter -- or a known
friend of the deceased homebuilder -- to help them get rid of the
deceased's tools & often his project as well. Often times NO MONEY
changes hands. The family wants to recover the space OR they want to
see the project completed. The point here is that unless your
equipment is carefully identified there's a good chance you'll never
see it again.

I think we could all use a bit of input here from people who have
found themselves in this situation (BWB's shop would be a nice case-in-
point). This is the sort of thing on which you would expect the EAA
to take a strong position. But as usual, if it don't pay, it don't
stay.

As a point of interest, my dad used one of those electro-etch devices
that uses a stencil and runs off a 12v car battery. I use a carbide
'pencil' that requires 117vac.

WHERE you mark the tool is as important as HOW it is marked. The two
most common places are where the marking can be seen when the tool is
racked... or when it is held for use. Of course, the point is moot if
the tools are unmarked. So let's concentrate on seeing if we can't
locate some tools to replace what was stolen, or get you some lolly so
you can purchase the items which are aviation-specific.

As for the telephone, I'm in the book so a phone call wouldn't work,
unless you had a test question... such as the type of cancer I'm
suffering from, something lifted from one of the articles in my blog
and so forth. (Be nice to hear some input on this.)

Family comes first. Then dealing with incoming fire. Refilling your
war-bag is pretty far down the list... although there's a strong
desire to discuss the issue with who who ever robbed you. And yes,
you're right: The cops don't give a ****. But various hotel
associations do. Ditto for travel agents. In theory, when you stay
at a hotel or motel there is an implied safety that extends to your
person, your vehicle and it's contents. The inn-keepers insist they
can't be held accountable for your vehicle & its contents and legally,
it depends upon which state you are in. But at the same time they are
telling you that you can get a good night's sleep and so forth, which
you clearly CAN'T get if you're worrying about the security of your
vehicle & it's contents. Six to one, half dozen to the other other.
Which is why it may make better sense to appeal to whatever agencies
or associations they belong to (Those plaques adorning the walls in
their office), or to the travel agents who tout the factors mentioned
above (ie, safe, secure, etc.)

I'm sorry you got ripped off Paul. San Diego... and its environs...
is a better place than that.

-R.S.Hoover

paul *dash *anton at cox.net

Paul,

Hadn't noticed this post, your vehicle insurance should cover most of
the loss on your tool's, rattle some cages. Also if you havedn't
canceled your homeowner's insurance during the move or had forwarded
it to your new place it should also cover part of the loss. Tool's are
always a free and easy item to sell at pawn shops, swap meets, and on
line. Few people mark their tools with the correct information to i.d.
them. I know, it suck's, sorry for your loss.Oh yeah, forgot to say,
tell the local police who took the report that it's your understanding
that felony thefts are investigated and you want to know what they're
doing. Also, run an add in the paper describing your tool's and offer
as much of a reward as you can afford, no question's asked. If someone
hasn't gotten rid of all of them yet or the person who's holding them
notices it they'll realize the reward money is more than they'd get
seling them to Snuffy the Rag Man.

Joe

Old November 11th 08, 05:05 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
wright1902glider

Marking your tools does help. Many of mine still bear the name Dave
Frey, etched into them with the electric pencil by my Old Man at the
kitchen table in 1973. Laying all of them out, photographing them, and
making an inventory is also another good idea.

Harry

stolen tools Tri-Pacer[_2_] Owning 2 November 13th 08 11:48 PM
Be aware GPS Kit can be Stolen virig Instrument Flight Rules 0 November 24th 07 09:04 AM
Ever have anything stolen from a plane? Dan Piloting 29 October 9th 06 04:56 AM
Stolen Engines MontyJ Owning 16 July 12th 04 10:54 PM
Stolen Aircraft gpa Home Built 1 August 20th 03 06:01 PM