Been taken over?

Old April 16th 07, 02:22 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Crash Lander[_1_]

Default Been taken over?

I asked my instructor on the weekend what a pilot is expected to do, should
he come across a downed plane, or was in the vicinity on another plane that
was going down, or making a forced landing.
He said that you should tune to the relevant ATC frequency, and inform them
of what has/is happening, and where you are. He then said that the head
controller would come on the radio and inform you he is taking control of
your aircraft, and instruct you to remain in the area. He said you are not
to leave the area unless you are running low on fuel yourself. He said that
the controller would dispatch a helicopter to the area to land near the
wreck/downed a/c. He also said that you would be paid for your time whilst
you are holding position.
My instructor said this exact scenario happened to him once.
Anyone else had a similar experience?
Crash Lander

--
I'm not always right,
But I'm never wrong!

Old April 16th 07, 03:26 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Steven P. McNicoll

"Crash Lander" wrote in message

I asked my instructor on the weekend what a pilot is expected to do,
should he come across a downed plane, or was in the vicinity on another
plane that was going down, or making a forced landing.
He said that you should tune to the relevant ATC frequency, and inform
them of what has/is happening, and where you are. He then said that the
head controller would come on the radio and inform you he is taking
control of your aircraft, and instruct you to remain in the area. He said
you are not to leave the area unless you are running low on fuel yourself.
He said that the controller would dispatch a helicopter to the area to
land near the wreck/downed a/c. He also said that you would be paid for
your time whilst you are holding position.
My instructor said this exact scenario happened to him once.
Anyone else had a similar experience?

I've been a controller for over 23 years and I've never heard of such a
procedure.

Old April 16th 07, 04:33 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Crash Lander[_1_]

"Steven P. McNicoll" wrote in message
I've been a controller for over 23 years and I've never heard of such a
procedure.

Interesting how things are done differently in different countries. Here is
a reply from an Australian controller from this same thread I posted in
aus.aviation.

Crash,
Mostly right - advise ATC what you have seen. We will ask a few
questions to get as much info as we can. This will be passed to AUSSAR
in Canberra who organise search and rescue. It can be helpful if you can
remain in the area.
If we have an in flight emergency, we will ask suitable aircraft if they
are able to divert to provide assistance. The Operations Director in
Brisbane or Melbourne centre is authorised to requisition aircraft,
however, we prefer to ask than direct. Most pilots we ask are only too
happy to help, as it could be them one day needing assistance. Costs
incurred in either case will be paid by Airservices or AUSSAR.
AA

Crash Lander

Old April 16th 07, 04:07 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
joe

On Apr 15, 9:22 pm, "Crash Lander" wrote:

This is BULL A controller has no authority to "take control of
your aircraft" in the U.S. Just say unable........ Hell an FAA
inspector can't even delay you for a ramp check...
joe

Old April 16th 07, 04:10 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Andrew Gideon

On Mon, 16 Apr 2007 03:33:56 +0000, Crash Lander wrote:

It can be helpful if you can remain in the
area.

There's a big difference between this and "take over the aircraft". I
agree that most pilots would be quite willing to provide whatever
assistance they could consistent with their own safety etc.

I'm not quite sure how much help aircraft can be, but one never knows (ie.
perhaps they've a working transceiver on the ground).

- Andrew

Old April 16th 07, 04:43 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Kingfish

On Apr 15, 10:26 pm, "Steven P. McNicoll"
wrote:

I've been a controller for over 23 years and I've never heard of such a
procedure.

Hi Steve, are you in a TRACON or Center? Which facility? I got a taste
of international ATC last week flying charters in the Caribbean. On a
trip from San Juan to Mustique we talked to SJ Approach/Center,
Juliano (French), VC Bird (Antigua) and Piarco (Trinidad). The last
controller didn't have radar and relied on our position reports. Thank
God for onboard TCAS.

Old April 16th 07, 05:32 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
ArtP

I was on a demo ride in a Columbia when ATC told us they lost contact
with an airplane in our area who indicated he had an emergency. They
wanted us to look for the plane. We found it in a field and reported
it. We were told to remain in the area until another plane arrived. We
did.

I don't know whether we could have legally been forced to help in the
search but it really doesn't matter. What are you going to say, "you
can't make me so go find the downed plane by yourself?" I would like
to think that in an emergency pilots will help each other out without
being required to.
Old April 16th 07, 05:57 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
C J Campbell[_1_]

On 2007-04-16 08:07:47 -0700, "joe" said:

On Apr 15, 9:22 pm, "Crash Lander" wrote:

This is BULL A controller has no authority to "take control of
your aircraft" in the U.S. Just say unable........ Hell an FAA
inspector can't even delay you for a ramp check...
joe

Eh, I don't think he was posting from the US. :-)

Here in the US of A "pilot in command" means just that.
--
Waddling Eagle
World Famous Flight Instructor

Old April 16th 07, 06:53 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Blanche

Andrew Gideon wrote:
On Mon, 16 Apr 2007 03:33:56 +0000, Crash Lander wrote:

It can be helpful if you can remain in the
area.

There's a big difference between this and "take over the aircraft". I
agree that most pilots would be quite willing to provide whatever
assistance they could consistent with their own safety etc.

I'm not quite sure how much help aircraft can be, but one never knows (ie.
perhaps they've a working transceiver on the ground).

I'm still trying to figure out how anyone on the ground can
"take over" an aircraft..but that's besides the point.

I live in the Rocky Mountain area - that place with all the forest
fires from Mexico north into Canada? We're asked to report lat/long
or radial/distance to a reporting point if we see smoke on the
ground. And we're also asked to STAY AWAY from existing fire TFRs.

Old April 16th 07, 07:02 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mxsmanic

C J Campbell writes:

Here in the US of A "pilot in command" means just that.

Thank goodness.