DOD Directives and Instructions website restricted?

Old October 10th 03, 11:06 AM
Andreas Parsch

Default DOD Directives and Instructions website restricted?

Hi,

until very recently, the U.S. DOD's directives and instructions could
be downloaded by the general public from

http://www.dtic.mil/whs/directives .

Now it says "Only authorized .mil/.gov domains are allowed access to
this site."

Does anyone know why the access was restricted? Or is there a new URL
where I can access the documents? Thanks in advance!

Andreas

Old October 10th 03, 02:32 PM
Kevin Brooks

Andreas Parsch wrote in message ...
Hi,

until very recently, the U.S. DOD's directives and instructions could
be downloaded by the general public from

http://www.dtic.mil/whs/directives .

Now it says "Only authorized .mil/.gov domains are allowed access to
this site."

Does anyone know why the access was restricted? Or is there a new URL
where I can access the documents? Thanks in advance!

Andreas

Probably for the same reasons that many .mil sites have been
restricted--to reduce the availability of sensitive information to
those who have ulterior motives, and to make it a bit more difficult
for hackers. The Army restricted online access to "Engineer", a
professional quarterly bulleting for military engineers, a couple of
years ago, but some of the other branch professional bulletins
remained available online the last time I checked, so there appears to
be little rhyme or reason to the process of determining which .mil
sites are restricted, and instead it apparently is determined by local
information managers with no set higher policy in evidence.

Brooks
Old October 10th 03, 04:41 PM
Alan Minyard

On Fri, 10 Oct 2003 12:06:41 +0200, Andreas Parsch
wrote:

Hi,

until very recently, the U.S. DOD's directives and instructions could
be downloaded by the general public from

http://www.dtic.mil/whs/directives .

Now it says "Only authorized .mil/.gov domains are allowed access to
this site."

Does anyone know why the access was restricted? Or is there a new URL
where I can access the documents? Thanks in advance!

Andreas

We are involved in a war. That tends to tighten up security. The
documents are currently restricted.

Al Minyard
Old October 10th 03, 11:03 PM
Andreas Parsch

Alan Minyard wrote:
We are involved in a war. That tends to tighten up security. The
documents are currently restricted.

Thanks ... so I don't need to look anywhere else :-(

Anyway, you're in war since 2 years now, and most .mil sites are as
public as they always were ... also, the documents in question included
mainly bureaucratic blah-blah - _my_ website has probably more
"militarily interesting" information ;-)! Sorry for the little rant.

Andreas