Maintaining VFR altitudes when following N/S roads/rivers

Old August 24th 08, 08:51 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Dave S

Default Maintaining VFR altitudes when following N/S roads/rivers

Why does everyone get on this guys case just because he doesn't fly? He
brings up some good typical student questions and some even us old
timers have to rethink.

Because he's never flown, doesnt WANT to fly, purports to know more than
those who do, and gives advice based on that.. all the while asking such
questions as above.

He's been asked not to do so. He's been asked to change his tact. His
antisocial tendencies overrule though...and he's a pest..

Old August 24th 08, 09:02 PM posted to rec.aviation.student,rec.aviation.piloting
More_Flaps

On Aug 25, 5:16*am, Mxsmanic wrote:
If you are following a road or river or other feature on the ground while
flying VFR, and that feature runs north/south but often veers off to one side
or the other, are you expected to change your altitude each time you move from
a heading of 0-179 to 180-359 or vice versa?

The headings for VFR cruising altitudes are country dependent, and
your heading does not matter, just the ground track (due to the effect
of drift).

Cheers
Old August 24th 08, 09:11 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
Bob F.[_3_]

"Mxsmanic" wrote in message
Lou writes:

Why would you follow a road?

Pilotage. I try to practice different forms of navigation, and pilotage
is a
useful type of navigation for VFR flights.

This situation usually resolves itself.
If you are flying "pilotage" and at an altitude that the VFR cruising
altitudes applies, you will probably be picking out a ground reference many
miles away and cruise for some time before changing coarse. If you insist
on keeping you plane on the same coarse as the river or road then then you
are expected to follow the rule. If you are below 3000' agl, then the VFR
cruising rule doesn't apply.

--
Regards, Bob F.

Old August 24th 08, 09:13 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bob F.[_3_]

"Dave S" wrote in message

Why does everyone get on this guys case just because he doesn't fly? He
brings up some good typical student questions and some even us old
timers have to rethink.

Because he's never flown, doesnt WANT to fly, purports to know more than
those who do, and gives advice based on that.. all the while asking such
questions as above.

He's been asked not to do so. He's been asked to change his tact. His
antisocial tendencies overrule though...and he's a pest..

Maybe I'm like the blind man touching the elephant here since I don't have a
lot of experience with him. So maybe I'll play along for a while and see how
it goes.

--
Regards, Bob F.

Old August 24th 08, 09:30 PM posted to rec.aviation.student,rec.aviation.piloting
Bob F.[_3_]

"More_Flaps" wrote in message
On Aug 25, 5:16 am, Mxsmanic wrote:
If you are following a road or river or other feature on the ground while
flying VFR, and that feature runs north/south but often veers off to one
side
or the other, are you expected to change your altitude each time you move
from
a heading of 0-179 to 180-359 or vice versa?

The headings for VFR cruising altitudes are country dependent, and
your heading does not matter, just the ground track (due to the effect
of drift).

Cheers

Actually 91.159 says "Course" (one of these word I keep misspelling, and at
70 I don't think I'll ever get it right). And "ground track" seems to be
exactly the same for this discussion.

--
Regards, Bob F.

Old August 24th 08, 10:13 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bob Noel

In article ,
Lou wrote:

Why would you follow a road? If you want to follow a road, drive a
car.
Why would you follow a river, rivers end.
Why not fly the plane?

An aircraft without DME, LORAN, and GPS may wish to stay out of the Boston
Class Bravo airspace. An excellent way to do that is follow 495 around Boston.
For those that want the torture, I know it can be done with just one VOR.

--
Bob Noel
(goodness, please trim replies!!!)

Old August 24th 08, 11:52 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
BT

What you are doing is not pilotage.
Fly a straight line based on compass and wind correction computations.
Time between visual points, towns, bridges, etc to compute ground speed.
Correct the heading slightly based on "observations" from pilotage.

just following a meandering river or road is not pilotage.

BT

Old August 25th 08, 12:12 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
Jose Jimenez

just following a meandering river or road is not pilotage.

But fun!
Old August 25th 08, 12:20 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
Bob F.[_3_]

"Mxsmanic" wrote in message
Lou writes:

Why would you follow a road?

Pilotage. I try to practice different forms of navigation, and pilotage
is a
useful type of navigation for VFR flights.

What is it that makes you think he not practicing pilotage? What would you
call what he describes what he is doing? (reference please). We'll give you
a little time to read up on Pilotage, DR and Radio navigation and then you
can restate what you said.
--
Regards, Bob F.

Old August 25th 08, 12:32 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
Dave S

Bob F. wrote:

If you are below 3000' agl,
then the VFR cruising rule doesn't apply.

Is that a US only rule or universal? They refer to lots of lower
altitudes as flight levels over there in Europe where mx is..