auxiliary heat

Old October 18th 04, 05:33 PM
Jim Burns

Default auxiliary heat

Does anyone in the group use a 12v auxiliary heater or heated blanket for
added cabin or passenger heat? I've seen that they come in 150watt/12.5 amp
and 300watt/ 30amp versions. We'd have to figure out the current load on
our alternators but I'm wondering if we should even consider such an option
for the rear seat passengers in our Aztec. I've seen this quesion asked
before but it's been several years.

Jim

---

Old October 18th 04, 08:57 PM

I'm assuming you mean for seat heat, and not space heat? It's awfully
difficult to get much heat out of 14V. Even automotive folks (with a fairly sealed
cabin) do very minimal heating on very localized areas (read: arse). It might be
doable, but only for localized/concentrated situations (seat heat, blankets, etc).

Imagine getting cabin heat from a hair dryer... 1250-1500W... around 100A for
14v.

-Cory

Jim Burns wrote:
: Does anyone in the group use a 12v auxiliary heater or heated blanket for
: added cabin or passenger heat? I've seen that they come in 150watt/12.5 amp
: and 300watt/ 30amp versions. We'd have to figure out the current load on
: our alternators but I'm wondering if we should even consider such an option
: for the rear seat passengers in our Aztec. I've seen this quesion asked
: before but it's been several years.

: Jim

: ---

* Cory Papenfuss *

Old October 18th 04, 09:17 PM
Jim Burns

Correct.
It would be about like huddling around a 150 watt lightbulb. I'm thinking
heated seats or blankets.
Jim

Old October 19th 04, 04:05 AM
David Johnson

Back in WW2 they used to have heated flight suits for the crews
of military aircraft. I imagine that they were particularly
useful in the high flying bombers with huge open gun ports on
the sides. I had a pair of the slippers at one time, and found
that they really did work. I used a variable DC supply to power
them. Originally they ran on aircraft power (28V) through a
rheostat. I never tried them in an airplane, but something similar
may be what you need. I have seen some battery powered socks in
outdoor supply catalogs.

Another approach might be chemical heat pads. I happened to look
at some in the hardware store the other day. You activate them
by simply opening the package and exposing the pad to the air.
Finding out if they will do the job will be cheap - they only
cost a dollar or so.

David Johnson
Old October 19th 04, 05:13 AM
Doug

There are motorcycle vests that really work. They use the motorcycle
battery so they don't draw "much", though I really don't know how
much. It's like having the sun beating down on your back. Work best
worn under a jacket. Check out moto cycle shop or online motorcycle
supply place.

Old October 19th 04, 02:08 PM
Kyler Laird

I used a heated seat cushion, chemical packs (in lots of places)
and a little 12VDC car (air) heater when I was going between
California and Indiana a couple winters ago without heat. I
still froze.

I recommend lots of insulative clothing and heating devices under
that. (Try the heaters designed for motorcycle riders.)

--kyler
Old October 19th 04, 02:12 PM
Joe Dubner

On 18-Oct-04 20:40 zatatime wrote:
On 18 Oct 2004 20:05:15 -0700, (David Johnson) wrote:

[snip]

For some reason if your
feet are warm your whole body feels a bit warmer.

That's the theory I used when I wired in some Gerbing's electrically
heated socks for my Long-EZ. They're economical (both cost-wise at $60
and energy-drain wise at 2A). I picked up a set in a Boise (Idaho)
motorcycle shop but they're available on the web too. See
http://www.gerbing.com/pages/clothing/socks.html

Along with thermal underwear, they fill 90% of my heat requirements for
wintertime flying at medium altitudes (FL010 to FL180) but my right hand
still gets too cold for comfort. I think the stick's control grip is
"sucking the heat" out of my hand so I'm looking at a Rube Goldbergesque
scheme to put a small power resistor into the stick.

--

Joe
(Remove "NOSPAM" to reply via Email)
Old October 19th 04, 02:36 PM
Jay Honeck

That's the theory I used when I wired in some Gerbing's electrically
heated socks for my Long-EZ.

Hmm. This is something I'd not considered before, never having seriously
considered a homebuilt plane.

Do Long-EZs not have *any* heat? Does having the engine behind you
preclude using hot air off the exhaust for cabin heat?
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Any metallurgist's on the group, I want to heat treat aluminum? [email protected] Home Built 3 December 11th 04 11:50 AM
Carb heat specs? Rich S. Home Built 2 November 13th 04 04:39 PM
Painting and air cooled motor? CitizenX Home Built 5 June 30th 04 12:47 PM
Inside the Cowling Fire / Heat Detector? George Sconyers Owning 5 May 30th 04 07:04 PM
pitot heat question K. Ari Krupnikov Instrument Flight Rules 7 December 11th 03 01:51 AM