Airvan aircraft

Old December 8th 03, 06:48 PM
John Pelchat

Default Airvan aircraft

I was watching Discovery Wings when I saw a spot about the CAP
celebrating it's anniversary and I saw a scene with an Airvan in CAP
colors (lots of bright red and blue). I have seen nothing in the
aviation publications about this aircraft. Does anyone here know
anything about it beyond what is on the Airvan-USA website regarding
costs, handling and attributes of the plane?

Thank you in advance.

John Pelchat
Old December 9th 03, 12:28 AM
pix

I have not flown it, but have looked over it a couple of times. I am told by
pilots that it handles like a big 172, is gentle and easy to fly. Very
roomy. Impressive aricraft, in the class of Cessna 206.

cheers...pix

om...

Old December 9th 03, 05:29 AM
Rick Durden

John,

I did a review of the Gippsland Airvan for Aviation Consumer a couple
of years ago. In general, it is designed to compete with the Cessna
206/207, primarily in the third world. It has an O-540 Lycoming
engine derated to 275 hp due to noise requirements by reducing rpm
from the normal 300 hp setting at 2,700 rpm. It can seat 8 people
although there is the usual fuel/pax tradeoff. The c.g. is about as
long as that of a Cessna 206. It is slower than a 206, yet I liked it
because the crew and pax seating was more comfortable, there is a
sliding door that can be opened in flight for phototgraphy or
skydiving or what have you (the door on the 206 has to be removed
before flight) the nose does not block forward visibility in a climb
or when flying at loitering power settings and the cabin floor is
flat. It also sits level on the ground. It is essentailly a next
generation Cessna 207. Hanlding is satisfactory for an air barge,
quicker than that slug, the Cherokee 6, but not as quick as the Cessna
206. Flight deck is nicer than a 206, with doors for each crew
member.

I found that I liked it a great deal and if faced with a choice of 206
versus Airvan, I would probably lean toward the Airvan if cruise speed
were not a concern.

You may be able to get a copy of the review at the Aviation Consumer
website.

All the best,
Rick

Old December 10th 03, 01:09 AM
John Galban

(John Pelchat) wrote in message . com...

Is this what you're looking for?
http://www.gippsaero.com/articleZone...icleZoneID=141

Saw it at Copperstate and was impressed

John Galban=====N4BQ (PA28-180)

Yeah, I'm kinda of impressed too, but to date I have not seen anything
except on the web about the airplane. Could you share some of your
reactions to what you saw at Copperstate? Thanks

Well, I didn't get to fly it, but it looked like a great backcountry
hauler. Very roomy cabin with removable seats. I don't recall all of
the performance specs, but I recall that it was not exceedingly fast,
but could carry a heavy load.

There was a thread about it on r.a.p a few months ago. Do a Google
search for the subject : New Australian airplane and you should find
a post from Rick Durden, who actually flew it.

John Galban=====N4BQ (PA28-180)
Old December 12th 03, 12:05 AM

In rec.aviation.piloting John Pelchat wrote:
I was watching Discovery Wings when I saw a spot about the CAP
celebrating it's anniversary and I saw a scene with an Airvan in CAP
colors (lots of bright red and blue). I have seen nothing in the
aviation publications about this aircraft. Does anyone here know
anything about it beyond what is on the Airvan-USA website regarding
costs, handling and attributes of the plane?

I am in CAP in Colorado. I got to fly one!
This one was configured for pilot and copilot and 9 passengers.
It has a HUGE cargo door... we rode a motorcycle up the ramp
and into the airplane.

I own a 1/4 share of a Cessna-206... the only thing lacking
in the AirVan is speed... cruise is about 105 KIAS.

They were at Buena Vista, Colorado, doing a demo to CAP, and doing
high altitude operations. It flys amazingly like a 180hp supercub...
roll down the runway to 45 KIAS, rotate and climb at 60 KIAS.
Very docile, very forgiving. It does AWESOME "canyon turns"...
the emergency maneuver we teach in Idaho to turn away from rising
terrain and fly down-canyon.

Jer/ "Flight instruction and mountain flying are my vocation!" Eberhard

--
Jer/ (Slash) Eberhard, Mountain Flying Aviation, LTD, Ft Collins, CO, USA
CELL/VM: 970 231-6325 CELL Message: (100 char)
Old December 12th 03, 06:45 PM
Rick Durden

Pilot, copilot and 9 pax????

The one I flew had a total of 8 seats. Where did they put an
additional 3? For that matter, where would they have put one more
unless it was in the aisle? All of the Airvans I've seen have no more
than 8 seats.

You must have had things pulled way back to be at 105 KTAS, or was
that KIAS? The one I flew cruised at about 125-130 KTAS.

It is a very good airplane. Airline that runs them in Central America
reported that pax preferred them to the Cessna 206s and 207s.

All the best,
Rick

Old December 12th 03, 11:57 PM
Kevin

Rick Durden wrote:
Pilot, copilot and 9 pax????

The one I flew had a total of 8 seats. Where did they put an
additional 3? For that matter, where would they have put one more
unless it was in the aisle? All of the Airvans I've seen have no more
than 8 seats.

You must have had things pulled way back to be at 105 KTAS, or was
that KIAS? The one I flew cruised at about 125-130 KTAS.

It is a very good airplane. Airline that runs them in Central America
reported that pax preferred them to the Cessna 206s and 207s.

All the best,
Rick

Best looking flight deck of any plane i have seen. It would make one hell of a private plane if you were not in a hurry.

Old December 14th 03, 04:27 PM
John Pelchat

Kevin wrote in message news:PBsCb.98779$_M.518176@attbi_s54...
Rick Durden wrote:
Pilot, copilot and 9 pax????

The one I flew had a total of 8 seats. Where did they put an
additional 3? For that matter, where would they have put one more
unless it was in the aisle? All of the Airvans I've seen have no more
than 8 seats.

You must have had things pulled way back to be at 105 KTAS, or was
that KIAS? The one I flew cruised at about 125-130 KTAS.

It is a very good airplane. Airline that runs them in Central America
reported that pax preferred them to the Cessna 206s and 207s.

All the best,
Rick

Best looking flight deck of any plane i have seen. It would make one hell of a private plane if you were not in a hurry.

Gotta agree! I have only seen one picture of the panel; it looked
intelligent and utilitarian (unless we get into an arguement regarding
overhead switches). I liked the picture so much I added it to my
Webshots screensaver (grin).

Based on the limited amount of material I have read so far, I also
think it would make a great private plane for hauling the family
around.

Best

John