But it's a dry heat....

Old July 18th 05, 08:07 PM
Casey Wilson

Default But it's a dry heat....

KIYK, Inyokern, California

Geophysics Operations Section China Lake(521410D)

Persistent heat over the desert southwest will continue to prevail
over our region into Thursday as a strong and broad upper level ridge
centered over southern Nevada remains nearly stationary. Light to moderate
afternoon and early evening thermal breezes can be expected daily through
the outlook period. Hurricane Emily is currently exiting the northern
Yucatan of Mexico this morning. Emily is anticipated to make a second
landfall along the northeast Mexican coast and/or south corner of Texas near
vicinity of Brownsville sometime late Tuesday night/early Wednesday morning.
The northern periphery of Emily's remnant moisture is expected to become
entrained into a developing southeast monsoonal flow over New Mexico/Arizona
near mid week. Some of this moisture is likely to be transported into
southeastern California by Friday. This will likely bring a significant
increase in local mountain thunderstorm activity, mainly in the eastern and
southern portions of our area over the weekend. With a high temperature
reading recorded at Armitage Field yesterday of 114F, we fell short by 1
degree Fahrenheit of the all time record high for the date. The record is
115F, which was set back on July 17th of 1988. However we can take some
solace fore, Furnace Creek at Death Valley, registered a reading of 132F on
the 14th of this month, ( this past Thursday), and 129F on Saturday.

48 HOUR FORECAST / EXTENDED OUTLOOK COMMENCING MONDAY, 18 JULY 2005

Today: Clear skies this morning followed by mostly clear skies this
afternoon and early evening, (FEW110-150) in some widely scattered Sierra
crest mountain cumulus. Winds light and variable becoming
south-southwesterly at 06 to 12 knots with brief gusts to 18 knots near 1300
into mid afternoon. Winds by late afternoon veer to southwest at 12 to 16
knots with occasional gusts to 24 knots into early/mid evening. Winds then
diminishing and becoming light and variable near late evening. High
temperatures from 114 to 117F with overnight lows in the mid 70s.

Tomorrow: Mostly clear to clear skies with a repeat of widely scattered
afternoon and early evening mountain cumulus, (FEW110-160). Winds light and
variable becoming southerly at 08 to 12 knots with gusts at times to 18
knots near early afternoon in mid afternoon. Winds veering to southwesterly
and increasing to 13 to 17 knots with gusts at times to 26 knots near 1600
into mid evening. Winds then begin diminishing becoming light and variable
by midnight. High temperatures from 113 to 116F with overnight lows in the
mid 70s.

Outlook: Daytime temperatures to begin a gradual downward trend beginning
Thursday followed be a gradual increase in humidity levels by weeks end.
Remnant moisture from Hurricane Emily is expected to bring increased local
mountain thunderstorm activity beginning Friday. High temperatures will
range from 113 to 116F Wednesday, 111 to 114F Thursday, and lowering to 106
to 109 on Friday. Morning low temperature to remain in the mid 70s through
the outlook period.

Old July 18th 05, 09:38 PM
Doug

Yeah, that's hot. But remember, it's not the humidity, it's the HEAT!!

Old July 19th 05, 03:36 AM
Jay Honeck

Yeah, that's hot. But remember, it's not the humidity, it's the HEAT!!

Wrong!

It's funny, though -- two months ago we would have thought 88 degrees was
HOT.

Today it was 88 degrees, the humidity was down, and people were commenting
how cool and comfortable it was!
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old July 19th 05, 05:36 AM
Matt Barrow

"Casey Wilson" N2310D @ gmail.com wrote in message
news5TCe.5970$N91.3013@trnddc08...
KIYK, Inyokern, California

Geophysics Operations Section China Lake(521410D)

Ah, kiss by sweaty behind!! :~)

Old July 19th 05, 05:42 AM
Matt Barrow

"Jay Honeck" wrote in message
Yeah, that's hot. But remember, it's not the humidity, it's the HEAT!!

Wrong!

It's funny, though -- two months ago we would have thought 88 degrees was
HOT.

Today it was 88 degrees, the humidity was down, and people were commenting
how cool and comfortable it was!

Quite!

Several years ago, on the day it hit 120 in Phoenix, one person died, The
same day it hit 104 in Chicago and something like 115 people died. In
Phoenix, the humidity was 6 percent; in Chicago it was 90+/- percent.

In high heat/low humidity you mainly stay out of the sun; high humidity you
can't hide from.

A few years ago in August, I had to travel from Houston (90 degrees) to
Bakersfield (110): I was sooooo glad to get to Bakersfield!! :~)

Old July 19th 05, 12:31 PM
Dan Luke

"Matt Barrow" wrote:

The same day it hit 104 in Chicago and ...the humidity was 90+/-
percent.

Baloney.

Look at a psychometric chart:

http://www.rfcafe.com/references/gen...tric_chart.htm

--
Dan
C172RG at BFM

Old July 19th 05, 01:40 PM
Matt Barrow

"Dan Luke" wrote in message

"Matt Barrow" wrote:

The same day it hit 104 in Chicago and ...the humidity was 90+/-
percent.

Baloney.

Look at a psychometric chart:

http://www.rfcafe.com/references/gen...tric_chart.htm

I guess all those people didn't really die, huh?

Same thing when that heat wave hit France a couple years ago.

First, it was mainly elderly people and secondly, they don't have A/C.

Old July 19th 05, 01:43 PM
Matt Barrow

"Matt Barrow" wrote in message

"Dan Luke" wrote in message

"Matt Barrow" wrote:

The same day it hit 104 in Chicago and ...the humidity was 90+/-
percent.

Baloney.

Look at a psychometric chart:

http://www.rfcafe.com/references/gen...tric_chart.htm

I guess all those people didn't really die, huh?

Same thing when that heat wave hit France a couple years ago.

First, it was mainly elderly people and secondly, they don't have A/C.

So, yes, you're right in that respect...

Old July 19th 05, 02:04 PM
Matt Barrow

"Dan Luke" wrote in message

"Matt Barrow" wrote:

The same day it hit 104 in Chicago and ...the humidity was 90+/-
percent.

Baloney.

Look at a psychometric chart:

http://www.rfcafe.com/references/gen...tric_chart.htm

Ever hear of "Heat Index"?

Old July 19th 05, 02:32 PM
Dan Luke

"Matt Barrow" wrote:
The same day it hit 104 in Chicago and ...the humidity was 90+/-
percent.

Baloney.

Look at a psychometric chart:

http://www.rfcafe.com/references/gen...tric_chart.htm

Ever hear of "Heat Index"?

Yes.

What's that got to do with your made-up statement that the temperature was
104 F. and the humidity was 90%?

Did you attempt to understand the chart?

--
Dan
C-172RG at BFM

Induction System Water Problem Mike Spera Owning 1 January 30th 05 06:29 AM
Any metallurgist's on the group, I want to heat treat aluminum? [email protected] Home Built 3 December 11th 04 12:50 PM
Use of Carb Heat John Kirksey Piloting 4 November 30th 04 08:26 PM
Painting and air cooled motor? CitizenX Home Built 5 June 30th 04 12:47 PM
pitot heat question K. Ari Krupnikov Instrument Flight Rules 7 December 11th 03 02:51 AM