"V-22 squadron achieves successin Iraq, USMC says"

Old February 5th 08, 04:14 PM posted to rec.aviation.military,rec.aviation.military.naval,sci.military.naval,us.military.army
Bill Kambic

Default "V-22 squadron achieves successin Iraq, USMC says"

On Tue, 5 Feb 2008 06:58:07 -0800 (PST), Jack Linthicum
wrote:

reads just like the discounted first few. I would like to see a nice
unclassified test and evaluation report, even a document number, that
tells me this has elements of the truth in it and is not some
Henderson Hall flack making up war stories.

As opposed to 'Net presences making up war stories?

Old February 5th 08, 04:17 PM posted to rec.aviation.military,rec.aviation.military.naval,sci.military.naval,us.military.army
William Black[_1_]

wrote in message
On Feb 5, 9:58 am, Jack Linthicum wrote:
On Feb 5, 9:25 am, " wrote:

On Feb 5, 9:12 am, Jack Linthicum wrote:

On Feb 5, 9:10 am, Typhoon502 wrote:

On Feb 5, 9:02 am, " wrote:

On Feb 5, 6:07 am, "Mr.Smartypants" wrote:

No one has really shot at them yet.

They'll be sitting ducks when in transition mode.

Moreso than a hovering helicopter?

That's helicopter mode. Mr. Smartypants thinks that somehow the
transition state, when the nacelles are neither horizontal nor
vertical, is something scary. The fact is, during transition, the
aircraft retains enough forward velocity to make the wings generate
useful lift, and if the pilot needs to lay on speed, those nacelles
can drop and those big blades can get that bird moving in a hurry.

Also, V-22 structures have been shot plenty of times in the test
phase. Its ability to take hits is not some nebulous unknown
quantity.

Cite-

http://www.navair.navy.mil/V22/index....detail&id=170

This paragraph

"But what if the aircraft is hit by enemy fire? How vulnerable is it?
The MV-22 has undergone an extensive live fire test and evaluation
(LFT&E) program consisting of no less than 60 test events and totaling
more than 592 ballistic test firings (more than any aircraft in
Department of Defense history). All flight control actuators were
proven to be resistant to light antiaircraft artillery armor piercing
incendiary (API) at 90 percent muzzle velocity. During tests of the
wing structure, multiple 23mm (API and high-explosive incendiary
(HEI)) shots failed to compromise the load carrying integrity of the
wing. Portions of the structure were actually determined to be
invulnerable to all API and HEI projectiles up to and including 23mm.
Overall the LFT&E effort determined that the probability of an
aircraft kill (given a hit) was significantly less than that of
existing helicopters."
reads just like the discounted first few. I would like to see a nice

unclassified test and evaluation report, even a document number, that
tells me this has elements of the truth in it and is not some
Henderson Hall flack making up war stories.

I don't know....helicopters are not known for their survivability,
so the standard isn't necessarilly all that high. The Osprey can go
faster, higher, and longer with a greater payload. If it's just as
serviceable and survivable as a helicopter, it's a step forward.

-------------------------

I thought the major issue was their nasty tendency to fall out of the sky if
they fly too close together.

--
William Black

Time for tea.

Old February 5th 08, 04:22 PM posted to rec.aviation.military, rec.aviation.military.naval,sci.military.naval, us.military.army
[email protected][_2_]

On Feb 5, 9:02 am, " wrote:

[...]

That seems to be a failure of darn near all aircraft.
Old February 5th 08, 04:24 PM posted to rec.aviation.military,rec.aviation.military.naval,sci.military.naval,us.military.army
Tiger

Jack Linthicum wrote:
On Feb 5, 9:25 am, " wrote:

reads just like the discounted first few. I would like to see a nice
unclassified test and evaluation report, even a document number, that
tells me this has elements of the truth in it and is not some
Henderson Hall flack making up war stories.

You know being a playa hater is not cool? The Anti Osprey crowd seems to
wish for any snipet of bad news. How about giving the Thunder Chickens
some credit? They have taken it to war and are getting the job done. Any
lack of firing on them again is a sign of good things. Like perhaps the
surge is really calming things over there. Exploding retarded ladies
excepted of course....

Old February 5th 08, 04:27 PM posted to rec.aviation.military, rec.aviation.military.naval,sci.military.naval, us.military.army
Jack Linthicum

wrote:
reads just like the discounted first few. I would like to see a nice
unclassified test and evaluation report, even a document number, that
tells me this has elements of the truth in it and is not some
Henderson Hall flack making up war stories.

As opposed to 'Net presences making up war stories?

Yes Navair is filled with fans of the mercenaries, etc.

http://www.navair.navy.mil/V22/index....detail&id=170
Old February 5th 08, 04:28 PM posted to rec.aviation.military, rec.aviation.military.naval,sci.military.naval, us.military.army
Jack Linthicum

On Feb 5, 10:24 am, Tiger wrote:
Jack Linthicum wrote:
On Feb 5, 9:25 am, " wrote:

reads just like the discounted first few. I would like to see a nice
unclassified test and evaluation report, even a document number, that
tells me this has elements of the truth in it and is not some
Henderson Hall flack making up war stories.

You know being a playa hater is not cool? The Anti Osprey crowd seems to
wish for any snipet of bad news. How about giving the Thunder Chickens
some credit? They have taken it to war and are getting the job done. Any
lack of firing on them again is a sign of good things. Like perhaps the
surge is really calming things over there. Exploding retarded ladies
excepted of course....

Are you ready for March when Moqtada al Sadr ends his truce?
Old February 5th 08, 04:31 PM posted to rec.aviation.military, rec.aviation.military.naval,sci.military.naval, us.military.army
Typhoon502

On Feb 5, 9:58*am, Jack Linthicum wrote:

reads just like the discounted first few. I would like to see a nice
unclassified test and evaluation report, even a document number, that
tells me this has elements of the truth in it and is not some
Henderson Hall flack making up war stories.- Hide quoted text -

I'd like to see an UNCLASS T&E on how fast an F-22 really goes in full
afterburner but somehow I get the feeling that "really fast" is about
as much detail as DOD is willing to share. I imagine that you've
probably got all the detail you're going to get about the Osprey, too.
Whether you believe it or not is your problem.
Old February 5th 08, 06:20 PM posted to rec.aviation.military,rec.aviation.military.naval,sci.military.naval,us.military.army
Bill Kambic

On Tue, 05 Feb 2008 10:24:07 -0500, Tiger
wrote:

You know being a playa hater is not cool? The Anti Osprey crowd seems to
wish for any snipet of bad news. How about giving the Thunder Chickens
some credit? They have taken it to war and are getting the job done. Any
lack of firing on them again is a sign of good things. Like perhaps the
surge is really calming things over there. Exploding retarded ladies
excepted of course....

Not bloody likely.

Folks like him wish for, long for dead bodies and smoking holes to
validate their own prejudices,

The bird is now in the crucible. Now we'll find out what us taxpayers
have wrought.

Of course success will NOT quell the criticism. Reality seldom
intrudes into the zealot's consciousness.

Bravo Zulu to the Marines at the tip of the spear. They've got more
balls than any 'Net presence I've ever run accross.

Old February 5th 08, 09:01 PM posted to rec.aviation.military, rec.aviation.military.naval,sci.military.naval, us.military.army
BlackBeard

On Feb 5, 6:58*am, Jack Linthicum wrote:

reads just like the discounted first few. I would like to see a nice
unclassified test and evaluation report, even a document number, that
tells me this has elements of the truth in it and is not some
Henderson Hall flack making up war stories.

Well I can vouch that the testing was done, extensively for about a
decade. The article in question mentions many of the systems tested
but there were more. Many of the successful tests mentioned I
witnessed, or in some cases I actually participated in them. I will
not talk about failures or weaknesses. Every aircraft out there has
trade-offs. There are no invincible platforms that I know of. There
are always systems that are vulnerable to the golden BB. The article
does not contain any falsehoods I am aware of. It is obviously
written with a Madison Ave. bias but that does not make it untrue.
It's up to you whether you want to take my word for it Jack. I can't
provide the documents you ask for. Debriefs, read-outs come into
play.

BB

I guess everybody has some mountain to climb.
It's just fate whether you live in Kansas or Tibet...

Old February 5th 08, 09:37 PM posted to rec.aviation.military, rec.aviation.military.naval,sci.military.naval, us.military.army
Jack Linthicum

On Feb 5, 3:01 pm, BlackBeard wrote:
[...]

Can't ask for more.

http://www.pogo.org/m/dp/dp-V22-dote-092005.pdf