Wanted: Transponder antenna

Old November 27th 03, 03:29 PM
Morgans

"Rob Turk" wrote in message
Here's my view of what happened:

1. Someone advises to just put the transponder antenna inside the frame.
2. I place a warning, basically saying there's more to it then just put it
in and forget about it.
3. Jim comes back and asks if I have any experience at all that supports

my
warning, in a somewhat hostile way.
4. I respond that in my experience as ham operator I do have hands-on
experience working with this. I caution the group (not Jim..) that

diagnosis
is harder than hooking up a cheap SWR meter.
5. Jim feels it necessary to dismiss my experience as bullsh*t, posts his
entire resume, posts his list of valuable equipment and bashes my

spelling.

Nowhere did I say Jim was wrong. His 15.000 installed antennas certainly
prove it can be done. But that doesn't dismiss that an unknowing home
builder might make mistakes. The builder, or a follow-on owner may decide
it's fancy to put metallic paint on the plane. Or someone may think it's a
good idea to install an inspection hole next to the antenna, and use one

of
these aluminum covers. Both will influence proper operation of the
transponder.

I think Jim's response is way out of proportion. I know Jim has plenty of
knowledge on the subject and I'm sure he'll agree that you can't just

stick
the antenna anywhere you want without thinking things through. Therefor I
would have expected constructive comments from him, not all-out bashing.

Rob

The only point Jim made, in his own unique way is, that you are full of
****. He called you on it. Point, game, match.
--
Jim in NC

Old November 27th 03, 05:57 PM
George A. Graham

On Wed, 26 Nov 2003, Jim Weir wrote:

Now, to repeat what I've been telling my colleagues building airplanes for the
last 30 years...put the transponder antenna inside the plastic with a round or
(better yet) octagonal ground plane, shield the sensitive parts of your anatomy
with tinfoil, and go for it.

I hate to agree with our former gubernatorial candidate, but he is right.
My little stick is under my seat, and works great without seeing the
daylight.

George Graham
RX-7 Powered Graham-EZ, N4449E
Homepage http://bfn.org/~ca266

Old November 28th 03, 08:03 AM
Paul Lee

Sorry. Don't remember the source. Had it when I was installing the
antenna. Suppose I could find it if I spend hours of searching,
but don't have time for it now - just remember it off hand.

But I think the 8+ feet refers to the body being in direct
path of the radiation pattern. If you place it in such a way that your
body is on the other side of the ground plane or on other side of a metal
shield you should be OK.

Jerry Springer wrote in message thlink.net...
And where would you be getting that information from? Don't know many small
single engine airplanes that would meet that requirement.

Jerry

Paul Lee wrote:
AFAIK the tranponder antenna should be 8+ feet away from warm bodies.

"Rich S." wrote in message ...

"Paul Lee" wrote in message
. com...

There is nothing wrong with the $22 one. Only for fast birds,
you may want an aerodynamic shaped one.
Composite projects can even build the $22 jobs into wings, etc.

Hey! Don't forget us wood and fabric types. I was going to install mine
under my seat, but then I thought about possible radiation effects on the
family jewels. I mentioned this to my wife who poo-pooed my concern. So I
put it under her seat.

Rich S.