flight test ballast ideas?

Old January 28th 07, 05:10 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Default flight test ballast ideas?

Can anyone give me some ideas for temporary, but securable weight
ballasts? The situation is we're preparing for FAA required test
flights on our FIRST production aircraft. Weight will most likely need
to be positioned in the right seat area, and/or in the limited baggage
area behind the two seats. Wing bladders are not an option, nor is
anything requiring a permanent mount. A non-U.S. built model of this
aircraft has already been certified for U.S. flight. This is the first
built here; but is not a prototype or "test model". This aircraft will
be sold to a private buyer once it passes flight tests. This is the
reason for the ballasts needing to be "non-invasive". I was thinking
of something that could be bolted to the right seat mounts and/or
strap secured in the baggage compartment.

Any suggestions or sources?

Thanks,
DocS

Old January 28th 07, 07:04 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jim Macklin

Consider where you want to attach the weight. Does it need
to be for gross weight performance testing or forward and
aft limit stability? Will you be moving the weight during
the test series/

You can make some sand cast moulds, and custom make some
lead weights. They should be small enough to handle and
have holes drilled so they can be bolted in place on seat
rails, pallets, or other strong places.
See the FAA Weight and Balance handbook
http://www.faa.gov/library/manuals/a...A-S-8083-1.pdf
AC43.13-1
http://www.airweb.faa.gov/Regulatory...E?OpenDocument
should have more information.

You can use strong metal tool boxes and bags of lead shot
(see sporting goods store for shot) to do temporary ballast.
Bags are 25 pounds and can be placed inside the boxes which
should be securely fasten and closed.

ups.com...

Old January 28th 07, 09:03 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
RST Engineering

You should pardon the expression of course.

{;-)

Jim

specific provision for the where the water goes in the event
your jugs leak.

Old January 28th 07, 11:59 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

On Jan 28, 9:23 am, B A R R Y wrote:
On 28 Jan 2007 09:10:34 -0800, wrote:

Any suggestions or sources?How about the 7 gallon plastic water jugs sold in the camping

department of any Wal*Mart?

I use them for baggage area weight with a tie down run over the top
and through the handle. You can fill them with sand if you don't want
water.

Old January 29th 07, 02:18 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

wrote:
Can anyone give me some ideas for temporary, but securable weight
ballasts?

I have seen specially shaped plastic bottles that are used for ground
vehicle weight testing. They can be filled with water, sand, shot, etc
to get the required weight. The bottle is shaped about like a seated
human, but with truncated arms and legs and no head - the neck is the
filler opening. The shape of the bottle allows it to be belted into a
vehicle using the standard seat belt. This is _not_ a crash test dummy -
it has no sensors and is not articulated. It's just a thick-walled
(polyethylene?) bottle.

Unfortunately I don't know the "official" name of this item and Google
isn't helping. These bottles get used a lot in vehicle testing, and
since you appear to be in Michigan, you might be able to ask someone
at one of the auto makers where they get theirs. Alternatively, you
might inquire at other places that do vehicle testing, like the auto
enthusiast magazines, Consumers Union (Consumer Reports magazine), etc.

You might be able to get smaller lead weights at a SCUBA shop. I think
they have a couple of styles: cast chunks of solid lead, and bags/pouches
that are meant to be filled with lead shot. Both styles will have
straps or provision for straps, so they should be relatively easy to
secure.

Matt Roberds

Old January 29th 07, 03:28 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Blanche

Skylune.

MX.

other suggestions?

Old January 29th 07, 05:14 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Morgans

"Blanche" wrote

Skylune.

MX.

other suggestions?

While I agree with your sentiments, .....

Nah.

Hearing them blabber while sitting in the other seat, or in the back, or
wherever you needed the weight, would not be worth it. I might have to kill
them, if I did it, then would find myself up on charges. g

Of course, you could need to test without the ballast halfway through the
flight, then push them out from 6,000 feet. That would be part of the test
dummy's test mission, and would be acceptable, right? :-)
--
Jim in NC