PIREP: Potomac TRACON Tour

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old May 3rd 05, 01:43 AM
Charlie Derk

Actually, it was part of Operation Raincheck. It happens 4 times a year
apparently. It also qualified as part of the Wings Program because they
did a 1/2 hour explaination on getting in an out of the ADIZ around the
Washington DC area.

I don't recall the initial email, but I think this one was just for
Potomac - it came out in the AOPA newsletter that I get via email once a
week or so.

Charlie

bdl wrote:
I second that Jack. I took a tour (part of Operation Raincheck?) here
at the STL TRACON. Excellent experience.

One thing I found interesting, was most of the group that was there for
the tour was VFR pilots, and didn't seem interested in instrument
procedures, etc. Mostly questions about VFR flight following, etc.

Still it was nice to look at the scopes and watch the traffic come in.
It's pretty light traffic these days in STL with the loss of hub status
by American, but it was still interesting.

They echo'd similar pet peeves. Getting a pilot's life story on
initial contact. Seems there's a certain flight school (affiliated
with a college) who's instructors are teaching their students that way.

Jack, Charlie were your tours part of an official program like
Operation Raincheck? Or just an ad hoc tour?

I'd like to do another one again, seems I had a bunch more questions
after I left than before I was there. Oh and I'd kill for more time on
their simulator (only had about 5 minutes due to a scheduling foulup).

Brian