AFW - Sad News

Old September 24th 04, 04:07 PM
Hilton

Default AFW - Sad News

Angel Flight Loses Member, Wing Leader, and Friend
See: http://www.angelflight.org and http://www.angelflight.org/colorado

Dear AFW Members,

Tuesday afternoon we received the very sad news that Jim Long, our Angel
Flight West Montana Wing Leader, as well as an AFW Board Member, died in a
plane crash on Monday afternoon. We received word Tuesday morning that his
plane had been missing since 3:15 on Monday afternoon, just about 15 minutes
prior to his scheduled arrival at Shafer Meadows, a wilderness area in
Northern Montana.

This was not an Angel Flight related flight. Jim was flying a flight for the
National Forest Service, transporting several personnel to Shafer Meadows
for an annual survey of the vegetation in the area. We have very few details
of the crash but there are countless articles on the internet. The wreckage
was finally located Tuesday afternoon. Because of the wilderness area in
which the wreckage was found, they had to drop several people in by
helicopter, who then announced that there were no survivors. Remarkably,
since that time, two of the forest service workers walked out onto a highway
and are both being treated for their injuries.

This is a tremendous loss for Laura, Jim's wife, and a great loss for the
Montana Wing and Angel Flight West as well. Jim has left an indelible
imprint on our entire organization and his loss will be felt enormously.
Let's keep Laura and others in the Long family in our thoughts and prayers.

The Memorial service for Jim Long will be held this coming Sunday, September
26th at 2 PM. Both Jim Weaver and I will be attending the service. The
service will be at Kalispell Airport (FCA) in a private hangar with a
reception following the service.

Please arrive at the airport terminal and someone there will give you
directions to the hangar. The reception will be held in the terminal.

If you are able to attend, please wear your Angel Flight clothing and your
ID badge.

Laura would like donations to be made to Angel Flight West. There is a Memor
ial site posted on the AFW Home Page with a link to make donations and to
newspaper articles.

If you have any questions, please call the

AFW office (310) 390-2958.

Sincerely,

Jim Weaver and Cheri Cimmarrusti

Old September 24th 04, 09:43 PM
Newps

For the article see the link. The wx was absolute crap when they left.

http://www.billingsgazette.com/index...-survivors.inc

Old September 25th 04, 05:57 AM
Thronson

We completed the Montana search pilot clinic in Kalispell on Sunday. We
could not get into our planned air strips; Spotted Bear, Ferndale and
Whitefish as they were not visible unless directly overhead because of low
scud, so we staged out of Kalispell City S-27. At the time I believe a
person could have flown into Shaffer as there was a slight wind from the NE
and was clear in that direction. On Saturday, we practiced mountain search
techniques out of Spotted Bear 8U4 in a 172 (210 hp). I think Jeanne called
it a C-142 military model, no prop spinner, and a C-182 (4 pilots per
plane). After 3 hours of 1 on 1 instruction, we took of first in the 182 and
the instructor told the pilot to fly south down the valley, direct to S-27
was blocked, and the north looked impassable over the Hungry Horse
reservoir. We dropped over into the swan valley through a good size hole and
proceeded north towards Ferndale under a low ceiling. When got to the end of
Swan lake and the path was blocked, we turned around and discovered the hole
had closed. The instructor proceeded to the Condon airstrip and parked the
plane as he said he has seen this way too many times. After about an hour, A
friend of his, recognized the plane and stopped to give us 3 students a ride
to S-27, a 1.5 hour DRIVE. After about an hour, The Instructor flew in. The
172 was not back. After about an hour we heard the plane tried to get out
but had to returned back to Spotted Bear, as they hit their 30 min fuel
reserve. It took over 3 hours, one way, to get them 10 gallons of fuel and
by that time the weather was ok to go direct to S-27. What a lesson to be
learned.
The best part was Sparky Imeson was one of the Instructors/Lectures
http://www.mountainflying.com/

The worst part, was the mission on Monday did not have to be flown.

My sincere condolences to all of the families involved.

Pat Thronson
Babb, MT

Old September 25th 04, 02:34 PM
Newps

Thronson wrote:

The worst part, was the mission on Monday did not have to be flown.

Should never have been attempted.