Reno Air Races -- 2600 Miles in 2 Days!

Old September 22nd 04, 03:36 AM
G.R. Patterson III

Dudley Henriques wrote:

"Newps" wrote in message
Except the statistics say otherwise. Once you get in the 800-1000
hour range, especially if you do it fairly quickly, all VFR, an IFR
rating will add little to nothing to your flying skills other than
being able to be legal.

In my experience this isn't the case at all. In fact, it would be just
the reverse.

According to AOPA, the majority of the fatal accidents involving VFR flight into IMC
have pilots with instrument ratings.

George Patterson
If a man gets into a fight 3,000 miles away from home, he *had* to have
been looking for it.
Old September 22nd 04, 03:40 AM
Bob Noel

In article mj54d.88254$D%.56291@attbi_s51, "Jay Honeck"
wrote:

But that's got nothing to do with getting the rating itself. Until I
have
either (a) unlimited time or (b) a much more capable plane,

your 235 isn't a capable airplane? What is it lacking?

--
Bob Noel
Seen on Kerry's campaign airplane: "the real deal"
Old September 22nd 04, 03:45 AM
Jay Honeck

But that's got nothing to do with getting the rating itself. Until I
have
either (a) unlimited time or (b) a much more capable plane,

your 235 isn't a capable airplane? What is it lacking?

It has neither the ability to fly in icing conditions, nor to penetrate or
get above the weather.

90% of the flights we scrub are due to either snow, icing or thunderstorms.
This will not change unless I have a more capable aircraft.

Which probably means it will *never* change.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old September 22nd 04, 03:53 AM
Dudley Henriques

"G.R. Patterson III" wrote in message

Dudley Henriques wrote:

"Newps" wrote in message
Except the statistics say otherwise. Once you get in the 800-1000
hour range, especially if you do it fairly quickly, all VFR, an IFR
rating will add little to nothing to your flying skills other than
being able to be legal.

In my experience this isn't the case at all. In fact, it would be
just
the reverse.

According to AOPA, the majority of the fatal accidents involving VFR
flight into IMC
have pilots with instrument ratings.

That might be true, but that's an incomplete stat for this discussion.
For example; how many pilots with instrument ratings have used those
ratings and filed safely to an alternate while on a VFR cross country
and been faced with weather INSTEAD of getting creamed by flying into
IMC? :-)
Statistics can be made to show almost anything you want them to show.
All I've been saying here is that in my opinion and in the opinion of
many of the instructors I know and have known throughout my career;
instrument training and obtaining an instrument rating will definitely
contribute to a better all around pilot.
The fact that AOPA says that in VFR to IMC accidents the high side
percentage goes to instrument rated pilots is fine, but unless we know
how many instrument rated pilots have NOT been involved in accidents
because they avoided those same IMC; the stats are inconclusive as far
as I can see, and again I say that it's common knowledge and not rocket
science that ANY form of intensive continuing training for a pilot makes
that pilot a better pilot and I believe that's really the gist of what
I've been saying.

Dudley Henriques
International Fighter Pilots Fellowship
Flight Instructor/Aerobatics/Retired

Old September 22nd 04, 03:58 AM
Dudley Henriques

"Newps" wrote in message

Dudley Henriques wrote:
"Newps" wrote in message

Dudley Henriques wrote:

or.......you could get the rating and NOT make stupid decisions and
become a much better pilot than you were before you got the rating,
which is exactly what happens to all but those who are accidents
waiting to happen anyway

Except the statistics say otherwise. Once you get in the 800-1000
hour range, especially if you do it fairly quickly, all VFR, an IFR
rating will add little to nothing to your flying skills other than
being able to be legal.

In my experience this isn't the case at all. In fact, it would be
just the reverse.

The stats say an instrument rated pilot is much more likely to take up
farming by scud running than a VFR only pilot.

Worked for Frank Tallman anyway!

Does this stat also say how many instrumented rated pilots AVOIDED
trouble with those same IMC by using their added training and their
rating to alter a deteriorating VFR flight and end it safely?
For the purpose of this discussion, I fail to see where this stat will
stand alone without the other missing half of this equation :-)

Old September 22nd 04, 04:29 AM
Morgans

"Jay Honeck" wrote

Where do you get glass cut? Or do you do it yourself? (And, if so,

where
do you get "bulk" glass?)
--
Jay Honeck

I go half and half with cutting it myself, or getting it cut. For bulk
glass, find a glass shop. (sorry to be so obvious G) Find the right one
and they will sell it wholesale. But they will cut it for almost nothing,
and they eat the waste. (well, not really g)

If you do cut it yourself, get a GOOD cutter, not a hardware store model.
It will last a long long time, if you use the oil with it.

I guess the real issue is, I LIKE to do things myself. Hey, it sounds like
I would be a good airplane homebuilder. (different newsgroup)
--
Jim in NC

---

Old September 22nd 04, 05:00 AM
Larry Dighera

On Wed, 22 Sep 2004 02:58:33 GMT, "Dudley Henriques"
wrote in
. net::

The stats say an instrument rated pilot is much more likely to take up
farming by scud running than a VFR only pilot.

Worked for Frank Tallman anyway!

Alas, poor Mr. Tallman. It appears from the NTSB report, that he
tried to sneak through Ortega Canyon in the Santa Ana Mountains on the
way to Phoenix after days of scouting for movie locations. Though he
told his passenger he would skirt the storm by passing south of it, he
attempted a shortcut, and turned one canyon too soon into Trabuco
Canyon instead of Ortega Canyon. This happened during the evening of
one of the most severe storms to assault the area. It rained so hard
that it stopped traffic on the freeways according to eye witnesses.
Frank's Navajo was found with flaps deployed about 100' below the
summit of Mt. Pinos. There was no fire. The aircraft was salvaged,
and today very little evidence remains on the site of Mr. Tallman's
last landing.

Such an ignoble ending to a talented and noble gentlemen seems unjust.

Here's a satellite view of the terrain:
http://mapper.acme.com/?lat=33.61330...ht=2&do t=Yes

Here's a topographic map:
http://www.topozone.com/map.asp?z=11...83&layer=DRG25

Old September 22nd 04, 05:01 AM
Mike Rapoport

"Jay Honeck" wrote in message
You don't have anything to lose, Jay.. even if you dont finish the
rating, the training will help a LOT.

Thanks, Dave. According to my log book I've shot 52 approaches under the
hood, and have over 25 hours of instrument dual.

I *know* the training made me a better pilot.

But that's got nothing to do with getting the rating itself. Until I have
either (a) unlimited time or (b) a much more capable plane, there is
simply
no good reason to finish up the rating.

Eventually I'll have one, or the other, or -- if I grow up to be Mike
Rappaport -- both!

;-)
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

I wish that I had unlimited time! I have a job, a marrage, two six year old
boys, three dogs, ten acres of meadow that needs mowing. Soon the North
Idaho winter will start and 1600' of driveway will need snowblowin'...I
think I'll stop now, this is getting depressing.

Mike
MU-2

Old September 22nd 04, 05:20 AM
Larry Dighera

On Wed, 22 Sep 2004 04:01:36 GMT, "Mike Rapoport"
wrote in
et::

I wish that I had unlimited time! I have a job, a marrage, two six year old
boys, three dogs, ten acres of meadow that needs mowing. Soon the North
Idaho winter will start and 1600' of driveway will need snowblowin'...I
think I'll stop now, this is getting depressing.

At some point one's possessions begin to own their owner.
Old September 22nd 04, 05:56 AM
The Weiss Family

Wow, Jay!
It was cool to hear about your trip.
It's funny to hear people's reaction to the wind here!
I'm always expecting a cross-wind landing ;-)

I found your story particularly interesting because in two weeks I'm making
a similar trek.
I'm flying my new plane back to Minden from the Dallas, TX area.
That's about the same distance, and I have to cross the rockies, too.
Although, I'm going to fly around as much of them as I can.

I'm a bit nervous and very excited.
I only have about 70hrs TT, so the 10+ hour trip will be a large percentage
of my total time in a plane.
I've planned every detail the best I could, and I've had several experienced
pilots (read CFI's) double check my work.
So, as long as I fly my plan, it should work out OK.

I don't know if I can paint as vivid a picture as you, but I'll try to
convey some cool stuff from the trip.
I'm planning on stopping in Bryce Canyon, Utah, which I drove through once.
It's beautiful.
Airport elevation is above 8000'.

Anyway, sorry you didn't make it to Minden. If you ever make it out west
again, you'll have to go soaring at Minden.

Great story!

Adam
PP-ASEL
Soon to be owner of N7966L - Super Musketeer!

Reno Air Races Ron Owning 0 March 11th 04 08:39 PM
FA: INSIDE THE RENO AIR RACES The Ink Company Aviation Marketplace 0 October 1st 03 01:55 AM
Aviation photography website (Reno Air Races, Duxford Flying Legends and more ...) Gilan Home Built 2 July 26th 03 08:46 PM
Aviation photography website (Reno Air Races, Duxford Flying Legendsand more ...) dth Owning 0 July 25th 03 04:39 PM