Reno Air Races -- 2600 Miles in 2 Days!

Old September 22nd 04, 03:14 PM
Newps

Mike Rapoport wrote:

"Larry Dighera" wrote in message

On Wed, 22 Sep 2004 04:01:36 GMT, "Mike Rapoport"
wrote in
.net::

I wish that I had unlimited time! I have a job, a marrage, two six year
old
boys, three dogs, ten acres of meadow that needs mowing. Soon the North
Idaho winter will start and 1600' of driveway will need snowblowin'...I
think I'll stop now, this is getting depressing.

At some point one's possessions begin to own their owner.

My cat doesn't like being called a "Possession".

Actually your cat owns everything and is worried about how all this work
is going to get done.

Old September 22nd 04, 03:36 PM
Mike Rapoport

"Newps" wrote in message

Mike Rapoport wrote:

"Larry Dighera" wrote in message

On Wed, 22 Sep 2004 04:01:36 GMT, "Mike Rapoport"
wrote in
k.net::

I wish that I had unlimited time! I have a job, a marrage, two six year
old
boys, three dogs, ten acres of meadow that needs mowing. Soon the North
Idaho winter will start and 1600' of driveway will need snowblowin'...I
think I'll stop now, this is getting depressing.

At some point one's possessions begin to own their owner.

My cat doesn't like being called a "Possession".

Actually your cat owns everything and is worried about how all this work
is going to get done.

Clearly, he is in charge. Last night I got up at 2am to let him out. I got
up again at 5:30am to let him in. I am now working while he is snoring away
on the bed. When I am done working to buy his food, I will go out and mow
his hunting grounds. It is amazing that something so small can get away
with being so demanding and arrogant.

Mike
MU-2

Old September 22nd 04, 03:37 PM
Paul Sengupta

"Dudley Henriques" wrote in message
link.net...
I can see that the claim that the training makes you a better and
more accurate pilot would be true in the case of most VFR-only
pilots, but what about if you're as accurate already?
I suppose the question I'm asking is ...
how does doing an instrument course teach you to be a better
pilot?

You're kidding....right ?

Well, I'm not saying that it doesn't...but...from what people say, it
makes one a more accurate and precise pilot. But...what if you were
trained to be so from day one. I'm not saying I normally bumble
around the local patch flying accurate headings and alititudes, but I
was taught from day one to fly absolutely precise altitudes and
headings. Any deviation in so much as 20ft/5 degrees would have
my instructor shouting at me...and this was in Florida thermals. So if
someone is taught this way from day one, what "extra" does instrument
training give you in respect to being a better pilot?

Paul

Old September 22nd 04, 03:39 PM
Dudley Henriques

"Newps" wrote in message

Paul Sengupta wrote:

"Dudley Henriques" wrote in message
ink.net...

The issue is simply that 1. Instrument training increases even
general
VFR pilot skills and as such is worthy of the effort in attaining
that
training.

As I understood it, Jay had done most of the training required for
an IR but had not completed it.

I can see that the claim that the training makes you a better and
more accurate pilot would be true in the case of most VFR-only
pilots, but what about if you're as accurate already? Do you need
to take the IR course/tests if you fly pretty much this way anyway?

I suppose the question I'm asking is apart from being able to
legally fly in cloud and learning how to do instrument approaches,
how does doing an instrument course teach you to be a better
pilot?

It's a myth.

It's definitely NOT a myth, and the answer has nothing to do with
instrument flying per se, which seems to be the direction of all your
posts and statistics about instrumented rated pilots and accidents.
The answer has EVERYTHING to do with the fact that ANY concentrated
ongoing training regimen for a pilot, be it instrument, aerobatics, or
anything else that places the pilot into ongoing training, will
absolutely make the pilot in such a training regimen a better all around
pilot.
It is common knowledge in the instruction community that instrument
training will sharpen basic piloting skills as a collateral, regardless
of some AOPA stat that states only one data point for an overall
statistic needed to deal with this issue in context. In other words, the
AOPA stat about instrument rated pilots having a higher percentage in
the IMC scenario doesn't even come close to making the case that
concentrated ongoing instrument training or any other kind of additional
training is a negative for producing a better basic pilot. The stat you
are using just deals with a single isolated scenario. The case for
instrument training making a better all around basic pilot would require
a much broader data base.
Dudley Henriques
International Fighter Pilots Fellowship
Flight Instructor/Aerobatics/Retired

Old September 22nd 04, 03:45 PM
Dudley Henriques

"Mike Rapoport" wrote in message
ink.net...

"Newps" wrote in message

Mike Rapoport wrote:

"Larry Dighera" wrote in message

On Wed, 22 Sep 2004 04:01:36 GMT, "Mike Rapoport"
wrote in
nk.net::

[...]

"Shishhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"...............he'l l hear you.
:-))

Old September 22nd 04, 04:09 PM
Dudley Henriques

"Paul Sengupta" wrote in message
[...]

I see what you're saying now, and it's a viable question.

The context of this issue as I opened the issue (increase of basic
piloting skills ) shouldn't be concentrated on the instrument side of
the equation. It should be directed more toward the benefits derived
from an ongoing concentrated training regimen that results in training
exposure and more importantly and specifically, residual benefit from
exposure and practice.
For example; after a concentrated period of instrument training, you
should naturally develop a better sense and execution for your basic
piloting skills. This is a residual effect of such training.
To address your question specifically, let me direct my answer to the
Thunderbird ADS training program; something of which I'm fairly
familiar.
When a pilot joins the Thunderbirds, he's already completely familiar
with close formation work......and I mean completely. But there's a
level above completely that deals directly with the level required for
formation aerobatics in the Thunderbird context.
The result if this is that this pilot, already VERY good at formation
work in type, has to literally be weaned into the program through an
extremely demanding and escalating schedule of formation work that
ultimately results in that pilot being able to perform at an even higher
level than he could before this training.
So in this one scenario, we have taken a pilot coming from an extremely
demanding background; just as your example; and placed that pilot into a
highly concentrated regimen of specialized formation training that has
resulted in his being able to function in the Thunderbird environment.
What might not be quite as visible in this example is the fact that in
order to perform at this new level, the pilot's BASIC FLYING SKILLS have
had to increase to handle the additional workload. Result.........he's a
BETTER PILOT!!!! :-))
I realize this is an extreme example, but believe me, it works the same
way for a good GA pilot entering into an instrument or an aerobatic
program. Coming off the back side of such training, that GA pilot will
have better basic flying skills.
Now, whether or not he will have the good judgment to go along with
those skills and avoid being one of AOPA's statistics is another matter
entirely!! :-))
Hope this helps a bit.

Old September 22nd 04, 04:27 PM
Montblack

("Mike Rapoport" wrote)

Soon the North Idaho winter will start and 1600' of driveway will need

snowblowin'...I think I'll stop now, this is getting depressing.

At some point one's possessions begin to own their owner.

My cat doesn't like being called a "Possession".

If your cat's name is D9, I think we can label plowin' the driveway a non-issue
g.

Montblack

Old September 22nd 04, 04:46 PM
G.R. Patterson III

Mike Rapoport wrote:

It is amazing that something so small can get away
with being so demanding and arrogant.

We live with six of these little aliens. When we get home from an outing, one of them
is always in the window serving as lookout. We believe they're working on the Feline
Opposable Thumb Project (FOTP). If they ever succeed at this, they won't need us
human can openers anymore and we'll be history. If they'd ever learn to cooperate
better, we'd probably be in trouble, but our specimens aren't exactly what one would
call "team players".

George Patterson
If a man gets into a fight 3,000 miles away from home, he *had* to have
been looking for it.
Old September 22nd 04, 06:27 PM
Jay Beckman

"G.R. Patterson III" wrote in message

Mike Rapoport wrote:

It is amazing that something so small can get away
with being so demanding and arrogant.

We live with six of these little aliens. When we get home from an outing,
one of them
is always in the window serving as lookout. We believe they're working on
the Feline
Opposable Thumb Project (FOTP). If they ever succeed at this, they won't
need us
human can openers anymore and we'll be history. If they'd ever learn to
cooperate
better, we'd probably be in trouble, but our specimens aren't exactly what
one would
call "team players".

George Patterson
If a man gets into a fight 3,000 miles away from home, he *had* to
have
been looking for it.

Geez George...Put up a warning before you post something like this!!!

Damn near ruined a perfectly good keyboard with iced tea.

We sold ourselves to two kittens from the AZ Humane Society about 6 months
ago and, well...what everyone else said. It's so true.

But there is something to the idea of unconditional love (ie...resting up to
plot some more.)

Jay Beckman
Student Pilot - KCHD
(Owned by a Bombay and a Korat)

Old September 22nd 04, 10:14 PM
Jay Honeck

Clearly, he is in charge. Last night I got up at 2am to let him out. I
got
up again at 5:30am to let him in. I am now working while he is snoring

away
on the bed. When I am done working to buy his food, I will go out and mow
his hunting grounds. It is amazing that something so small can get away
with being so demanding and arrogant.

Which is why, as I've said all along: The only good cat is a tennis
racquet.

;-)
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Reno Air Races Ron Owning 0 March 11th 04 08:39 PM
FA: INSIDE THE RENO AIR RACES The Ink Company Aviation Marketplace 0 October 1st 03 01:55 AM
Aviation photography website (Reno Air Races, Duxford Flying Legends and more ...) Gilan Home Built 2 July 26th 03 08:46 PM
Aviation photography website (Reno Air Races, Duxford Flying Legendsand more ...) dth Owning 0 July 25th 03 04:39 PM