I lost my medical, what do I do?

Old February 9th 06, 05:04 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Default I lost my medical, what do I do?

I'm a CFI with a first class medical issued 6/15/05. I began taking a
banned medication (celexa) about a week ago. I have not flown since I
started the drugs, and I don't plan on returning until the medication
stops (the doc said that may not be for another 6-12 months). When I
"get back" will my current medical still be current, or will I have to
reapply for a new one? Am I supposed to tell the FAA about this, or do
I just wait it out or what?

Old February 9th 06, 05:16 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

"buttman"wrote in message
oups.com...
I'm a CFI with a first class medical issued 6/15/05. I began taking a
banned medication (celexa) about a week ago. I have not flown since I
started the drugs, and I don't plan on returning until the medication
stops (the doc said that may not be for another 6-12 months). When I
"get back" will my current medical still be current, or will I have to
reapply for a new one? Am I supposed to tell the FAA about this, or do
I just wait it out or what?

Ditch the Celexa and get laid more often... That'll cure your depression...
Either that or it'll make you too tired to be depressed... evil-grin

Old February 9th 06, 05:26 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Default I lost my medical, what do I do? Two words: Bushy Salami

Contact Bashir Slamati (Bushy Salami) he is somehow associated with or
is a competitor of Belfort Instruments. Bushy advocates lying on FAA
Medical Exams, and maybe he can introduce you to his doctor named
Albert Puskas (his doctor) ... not sure about the first name though.

Bushy Salami is laying low now, after he slammed Belfort and one of
their former employees in this newsgroup! Good Luck!

Grumman-581 wrote:
oups.com...

Old February 9th 06, 05:32 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Depression is a serious illness. I might consult another doctor and see if
there is another solution.

Old February 9th 06, 05:56 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

What is the reason for the medication is what determines
what happens after you quit using the drug and it has
cleared your system. You don't have to tell the FAA
anything until your next physical exam and then you are
required to report the treatment and doctor visit. As long
as your current medical has not expired, you have not "lost
it" but you're required to self-ground as long as you're on
the medication or the underlying medical condition would
still make you ineligible for a medical certificate.
Consult with your treating doctor, check the FAA drug list
with the AOPA [you should be a member] www.aopa.org and
never lie or conceal your condition from the FAA, just don't
apply unless you know you'll pass. You have over a year to
get clean. Even then as long as there is no official
grounding, you can continue to fly as a Sport Instructor
with just your DL.
Google finds a lot of info on the drug and side effects.
http://www.drugdigest.org/DD/DVH/Use...ml#sideEffects
Brand Name(s): Celexa
Generic Name Citalopram

What are citalopram tablets?
CITALOPRAM (CelexaT) is a medicine for depression and
other related problems. You may have to take citalopram for
up to 4 weeks or longer before you begin to feel better.
Generic citalopram tablets are available.

What should my health care professional know before I
take citalopram?
They need to know if you have any of these conditions:
.diabetes
.heart disease
.kidney disease
.liver disease
.mania
.receive electroconvulsive therapy
.seizures (convulsions)
.suicidal thoughts or a previous suicide attempt
.an unusual or allergic reaction to citalopram, the
related drug escitalopram, other medicines, foods, dyes, or
preservatives
.pregnant or trying to become pregnant
.breast-feeding

How should I take this medicine?
Take citalopram tablets by mouth. Follow the
directions on the prescription label. Swallow the tablets
with a drink of water. Citalopram can be taken with or
without food. Take your doses at regular intervals. Do not
take your medicine more often than directed. Do not stop
taking except on your prescriber or health care
professional's advice.

What if I miss a dose?
If you miss a dose of citalopram, take it as soon as
possible. However, if it is almost time for your next dose,
skip the missed dose and go back to your regular dosing
schedule. Follow your prescriber or health care
professional's advice on missed doses. Do not take double or
extra doses.

What drug(s) may interact with citalopram?
Do not take citalopram with any of the following
medications:
.cisapride
.escitalopram
.medicines called MAO inhibitors-phenelzine (Nardil®),
tranylcypromine (Parnate®), isocarboxazid (Marplan®),
selegiline (Eldepryl®)

Citalopram may also interact with the following
medications:
.alosetron
.alprazolam
.amphetamine
.aspirin, warfarin, or nonsteroidal antiinflammatory
drugs (NSAIDs) such as ibuprofen or naproxen
.buspirone
.carbamazepine
.certain diet drugs (dexfenfluramine, fenfluramine,
phentermine, sibutramine)
.clarithromycin
.cimetidine
.cyproheptadine
.dexamethasone
.dextromethorphan
.dextroamphetamine
.diazepam
.diltiazem
.erythromycin
.ethosuximide
.furazolidone
.grapefruit juice
.kava kava
.ketoconazole
.linezolid
.lithium
.medicines that treat depression or other mood
problems
.medicines that treat HIV infection or AIDS
.methadone
.migraine headache medicines (almotriptan, eletriptan,
frovatriptan, naratriptan, rizatriptan, sumatriptan,
zolmitriptan)
.medicines for psychosis or severe mood problems
.modafinil
.nefazodone
.nicardipine
.phenobarbital
.phenytoin
.prescription pain relievers (codeine, hydrocodone,
meperidine, morphine, tramadol, oxycodone)
.primidone
.procarbazine
.quinine
.rifabutin
.rifampin
.St. John's Wort
.troglitazone
.tryptophan
.valerian
.verapamil

Tell your prescriber or health care professional about
all other medicines you are taking, including
non-prescription medicines. Also tell your prescriber or
health care professional if you are a frequent user of
grapefruit juice, drinks with caffeine or alcohol, if you
smoke, or if you use illegal drugs. These may affect the way
your medicine works. Check with your health care
professional before stopping or starting any of your
medicines.

What side effects may I notice from taking citalopram?
Side effects that you should report to your prescriber
or health care professional as soon as possible:
Rare or uncommon:
.confusion
.dizziness or lightheadedness
.skin rash, itching (hives)
.fast talking and excited feelings or actions that are
out of control
.suicidal thoughts
.vomiting
More common:
.agitation, anxiety, or restlessness, especially in
the first week of treatment or when doses are changed

Side effects that usually do not require medical
attention (report to your prescriber or health care
professional if they continue or are bothersome):
.blurred vision
.diarrhea
.difficulty sleeping
.drowsiness
.dry mouth
.fever
.frequent urination
.headache
.indigestion, nausea
.increased or decreased appetite
.increased sweating
.sexual difficulties (decreased sexual ability or
desire)
.taste alterations
.tremor (shaking)
.weight changes

What should I watch for while taking citalopram?
Visit your prescriber or health care professional for
regular checks on your progress. Continue to take your
tablets even if you do not immediately feel better. It can
take about 4 weeks before you feel the full effect of
citalopram.

Patients and their families should watch out for
worsening depression or thoughts of suicide. Also watch out
for sudden or severe changes in feelings such as feeling
anxious, agitated, panicky, irritable, hostile, aggressive,
impulsive, severely restless, overly excited and
hyperactive, or not being able to sleep. If this happens,
especially at the beginning of antidepressant treatment or
after a change in dose, call your health care professional.

If you have been taking citalopram regularly for some
time, do not suddenly stop taking it. You must gradually
reduce the dose, or your symptoms may get worse. Ask your
prescriber or health care professional for advice.

You may get drowsy or dizzy. Do not drive, use
machinery, or do anything that needs mental alertness until
you know how citalopram affects you. Do not stand or sit up
quickly, especially if you are an older patient. This
reduces the risk of dizzy or fainting spells. Alcohol may
interfere with the effect of citalopram. Avoid alcoholic
drinks.

Do not treat yourself for coughs, colds, or allergies
without asking your prescriber or health care professional
for advice. Some ingredients can increase possible side
effects.

Your mouth may get dry. Chewing sugarless gum or
sucking hard candy, and drinking plenty of water will help.

If you are going to have surgery, tell your prescriber
or health care professional that you are taking citalopram.

Where can I keep my medicine?
Keep out of reach of children in a container that
small children cannot open.

Store at room temperature between 15 and 30 degrees C
(59 and 86 degrees F). Throw away any unused medicine after
the expiration date.

Available at: www.DrugDigest.org Last
Updated:02/04/2005

© 2005 Express Scripts, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
These materials are the property of Express Scripts,
Inc. and are protected by copyright, trademark, and other
laws. Permission for use is granted only for personal,
noncommercial purposes.

FAR 61.53 prohibits a person from acting as pilot in command
or as a required pilot flight crew member while that person
(1) "knows or has reason to know of any medical condition
that would make the person unable to meet the requirements
for the medical certificate necessary for the pilot
operation"; or, (2) "Is taking medication or receiving other
treatment for a medical condition that results in the person
being unable to meet the requirements for the medical
certificate necessary for the pilot operation."

FAR 91.17 states (a) No person may act or attempt to act as
a pilot crewmember of a civil aircraft...

(3) While using any drug that affects the person's faculties
in any way contrary to safety...

some support

oups.com...

Old February 9th 06, 06:37 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

If they knew that you are taking this banned medication while flying, they
will revoke your medical certification. Since you volunteered to stop flying
and don't plan to return flying until the medication stop, I don't see any
reason why you have to tell FAA about this. Just lay low until you complete
this medication and receive clearance from your doctor.

Toks Desalu
PP-ASEL
Dyin' to Soar

oups.com...

Old February 9th 06, 12:07 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

You have to report the medical visit/treatment at the next
exam.

"Toks Desalu" wrote in message
| If they knew that you are taking this banned medication
while flying, they
| will revoke your medical certification. Since you
volunteered to stop flying
| and don't plan to return flying until the medication stop,
I don't see any
| reason why you have to tell FAA about this. Just lay low
until you complete
| this medication and receive clearance from your doctor.
|
| Toks Desalu
| PP-ASEL
| Dyin' to Soar

oups.com...

Old February 9th 06, 02:02 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

But, what if he complete the treatment before the next medical exam?

"Jim Macklin" wrote in message
You have to report the medical visit/treatment at the next
exam.

"Toks Desalu" wrote in message
| If they knew that you are taking this banned medication
while flying, they
| will revoke your medical certification. Since you
volunteered to stop flying
| and don't plan to return flying until the medication stop,
I don't see any
| reason why you have to tell FAA about this. Just lay low
until you complete
| this medication and receive clearance from your doctor.
|
| Toks Desalu
| PP-ASEL
| Dyin' to Soar

oups.com...

Old February 9th 06, 02:20 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Read the medical application form, doctor treatments are
required to be reported. If he is clear of the underlying
problem and no longer taking the medication, he will get his
medical certificate.

--
James H. Macklin
ATP,CFI,A&P

some support

| But, what if he complete the treatment before the next
medical exam?

| "Jim Macklin" wrote
in message
| You have to report the medical visit/treatment at the
next
| exam.
|

| "Toks Desalu" wrote in
message
| | If they knew that you are taking this banned
medication
| while flying, they
| | will revoke your medical certification. Since you
| volunteered to stop flying
| | and don't plan to return flying until the medication
stop,
| I don't see any
| | reason why you have to tell FAA about this. Just lay
low
| until you complete
| | this medication and receive clearance from your
doctor.
| |
| | Toks Desalu
| | PP-ASEL
| | Dyin' to Soar
| |
| |
| | "buttman" wrote in message
| |

oups.com...
| | I'm a CFI with a first class medical issued 6/15/05.
| began taking a
| | banned medication (celexa) about a week ago. I have
not
| flown since I
| | started the drugs, and I don't plan on returning
until
| the medication
| | stops (the doc said that may not be for another 6-12
| months). When I
| | "get back" will my current medical still be current,
or
| will I have to
| | reapply for a new one? Am I supposed to tell the FAA
| about this, or do
| | I just wait it out or what?
| |
| |
| |

Old February 9th 06, 02:26 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

"buttman" wrote in message
oups.com...
I'm a CFI with a first class medical issued 6/15/05. I began taking a
banned medication (celexa) about a week ago. I have not flown since I
started the drugs, and I don't plan on returning until the medication
stops (the doc said that may not be for another 6-12 months). When I
"get back" will my current medical still be current, or will I have to
reapply for a new one? Am I supposed to tell the FAA about this, or do
I just wait it out or what?

The problem you are going to have is not so much the medication as the
underlying condition. Hop over to the AOPA web site and read this...
http://www.aopa.org/members/files/medical/psych2.html