Uvalde... Question

Old August 25th 08, 11:50 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
user

Default Uvalde... Question

Heard a rumor that the Aiport Manager was trying to end future contests in
Uvalde by making glider ground ops difficult - including banning assemblies
from the ramp. Any truth in this?

Old August 25th 08, 06:01 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tim Taylor

On Aug 25, 4:50 am, "user" wrote:
Heard a rumor that the Aiport Manager was trying to end future contests in
Uvalde by making glider ground ops difficult - including banning assemblies
from the ramp. Any truth in this?

I usuI usually don't like to respond to users that don't use a name,
but since you are using innuendo about the subject I will give it a
try.

I don’t think that the airport manager, Mark Huffstetler, is trying to
end contests at Uvalde. I think he is trying to find a sustainable
solution to using the airport long term.

Any contest makes an impact on an airport both good and bad. We
descend with 50 or 60 gliders, trailers, cars, motor homes and
people. Most airports we use are quiet places with their own
businesses and operations. How do you balance the needs of the
businesses and safety of the airport with the needs of a contest?

I think Mark was trying to find a good balance. He invested time and
money in preparing a tie down area that had space for the gliders and
trailers. They had to clear many acres of land and run water to
handle the needs of heavy birds each morning. Was it perfect? No, the
ground is soft and had thorns. It could be a real mess if we got a
lot of rain. There are thorns all over the airport so the tie-down
area was not the only place. In the future it would be great to spray
the throne bushes and plant grass seed in the spring before a contest
to improve the ground in the tie down area. But it was a very good
start.

All I saw from Mark during the contest was 100% support for soaring.
He knew he was trying to balance our needs and desires with the
airports users. The businesses have changed over time and the Border
Patrol has many flights off the main ramp each day where we
traditionally tie down. Mark was there many days to watch the
operations, hosted a dinner at his house, provided space for dinner at
his hanger, etc. On a personal note my glider had a gear collapse on
day two and he immediately offered his machine shop and contacted one
of his employees to weld a part to allow us to repair the ship that
evening. I was ready to fly by midnight.

So from my perspective he is doing everything to make Uvalde a place
for contests for many years. Change happens and we have to work to
preserve relationships with each airport we wish to hold contests at.
It is a give and take with each one. We have to respect each airport
to earn their respect.

Tim (TT)
Old August 26th 08, 02:25 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
user

That's why I asked... Glad it turns out to a be rumor only.

Old August 26th 08, 08:05 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Rick Culbertson

On Aug 25, 7:25*pm, "user" wrote:
That's why I asked... Glad it turns out to a be rumor only.

I agree with TTs assessment, it's what I observed at Uvalde as well. I
believe TTs referring to the practice of tossing a rumor from an
anonymous position - USER, something this fairly small community of
pilots truly frown upon. Past experience has shown anonymous postings
generally lack integrity or sincerity. To remove such impressions I
would advocate less cloak and dagger communications with this group in
the future.
Respectfully,
21

mid air at uvalde Robert Carl Soaring 2 August 15th 08 10:16 PM
Uvalde no fly day BB Soaring 0 August 12th 08 01:28 AM
Uvalde Day 5 BB Soaring 0 August 11th 08 03:38 AM
Uvalde Day 4 BB Soaring 0 August 10th 08 04:31 AM
Uvalde Day 2 BB Soaring 0 August 8th 08 03:19 PM