Taking the pledge

Old March 4th 07, 06:00 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Morgans[_2_]

Default Taking the pledge

"Mike 'Flyin'8'" wrote

Has anyone thought about using a program that looks a certain
individuals name and immediatly issues a usenet message cancel based
upon said users name and the newly posted subject?

http://home.att.net/~marjie1/Cancels.htm

Lordy, I didn't know such an animal existed!

What do we need to do to get this thing going. Will someone take
responsibility to get this working for us? Does it really work, or is it a
scam?

Marty, you know about this stuff, don't you? Do you know about it Mike? I
can't remember, but I seem to recall that you might be part of the big 8, or
something. I'm not doubting you, but can you tell us if it is legitimate?

If someone will do it, (if it can be done) and it takes money to get it, I
presume we can get enough people to chip in to do it. I know I will.
--
Jim in NC

Old March 4th 07, 06:03 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
TheSmokingGnu

Morgans wrote:
Nope, you missed number 1. No responses to MX, and no XXX will be needed.

_I_ won't respond to him, doesn't mean the rest of you lot will follow
the same rules. In such case, identify, if you please.

TheSmokingGnu
Old March 4th 07, 06:19 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mike 'Flyin'8'

I am not part of the big 8... but it certainly does work. Or, at least
used to work. I have only tried it on my own posts, so I am not sure
about thrid party cancels... I see no reason it shouldn't work.

To try it manually, all you gotta do is change your name to the said
individuals name and issue a cancel with the same subject as the
offending post. It is trivial really. I am not an expert by any
means, but this could likely be accomplished with Agent and simple
script using AutoHotkey.

For an automatic program, you just need a reasonably decent VB
programmer with some free time... Again, this is almost a trivial task
as well... Just have it log into a news server every 30 minutes and
search for new posts by said individual and if exists, then retrieve
the subject and generate a new cancel msg and send it out. There you
have it... An automated troll buster.

I would imagine it is likely considered an abuse of policy of some
type to cancel someone elses usenet post, but I would be willing to
bet that someone would be willing to take that risk given the

I just wanted to put the question as to why I had not seen it
mentioned when I can not see a reason it could not be done.

Lordy, I didn't know such an animal existed!

What do we need to do to get this thing going. Will someone take
responsibility to get this working for us? Does it really work, or is it a
scam?

Marty, you know about this stuff, don't you? Do you know about it Mike? I
can't remember, but I seem to recall that you might be part of the big 8, or
something. I'm not doubting you, but can you tell us if it is legitimate?

If someone will do it, (if it can be done) and it takes money to get it, I
presume we can get enough people to chip in to do it. I know I will.

Mike Alexander
PP-ASEL
Temecula, CA
See my online aerial photo album at
http://flying.4alexanders.com
Old March 4th 07, 06:36 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
TxSrv

Jay Honeck wrote:
All in favor, say "aye"...
--

Yeah, but his latest post is seeking info on freakin' 747
autothrottles. You know the answer; I know the answer.

F--
Old March 4th 07, 06:50 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Morgans[_2_]

"TheSmokingGnu" wrote in message
Morgans wrote:
Nope, you missed number 1. No responses to MX, and no XXX will be
needed.

_I_ won't respond to him, doesn't mean the rest of you lot will follow the
same rules. In such case, identify, if you please.

It won't work, under those conditions. It has to be total, from everyone.

What you are saying is like saying I quit smoking cigarettes, but it is ok
if I still smoke cigars.

The oath is for those who will quit posting, not for those that are going to
continue.

Hopefully, everyone will take it.
--
Jim in NC

Old March 4th 07, 06:52 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Morgans[_2_]

"Mike 'Flyin'8'" wrote

To try it manually, all you gotta do is change your name to the said
individuals name and issue a cancel with the same subject as the
offending post. It is trivial really. I am not an expert by any
means, but this could likely be accomplished with Agent and simple
script using AutoHotkey.

For an automatic program, you just need a reasonably decent VB
programmer with some free time... Again, this is almost a trivial task
as well... Just have it log into a news server every 30 minutes and
search for new posts by said individual and if exists, then retrieve
the subject and generate a new cancel msg and send it out. There you
have it... An automated troll buster.

Any volunteers to take on this project? It's above my head, for sure.
--
Jim in NC

Old March 4th 07, 07:03 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mike Young

"Mike 'Flyin'8'" wrote in message

Has anyone thought about using a program that looks a certain
individuals name and immediatly issues a usenet message cancel based
upon said users name and the newly posted subject?

As a form of censorship, it would be quite effective if it worked. I
wondered briefly about the cancel-bot messages that've been popping up more
and more frequently.

I vote a resounding "No!" to any form of censorship, especially removing
others's posts from a public forum. Taken to it's logical conclusion, after
removing all messages that any one of us finds offensive will leave us with
exactly nothing left. We'll end up huddled in our darkened homes, talking
only to ourselves. I can already do that without destroying a communication
infrastructure.

Retroactive tagging on subject lines already goes too far as it is, IMO. I
hesitate to say anything at all, simply because it is still your right to
express your opinion in what you post. This is different from defacing or
removing what someone else writes. Just the same, it still reeks of our
impending death as a society. God help us all.

Old March 4th 07, 10:28 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Martin Hotze

On Sat, 03 Mar 2007 22:19:51 -0800, Mike 'Flyin'8' wrote:

I am not part of the big 8... but it certainly does work. Or, at least
used to work. I have only tried it on my own posts, so I am not sure
about thrid party cancels... I see no reason it shouldn't work.

read http://www.faqs.org/faqs/usenet/cancel-faq/part1/
and you need newsservers honoring your cancel messages ...

your best way is ignoring/filtering on your (client) side.

#m
--
I am not a terrorist. http://www.casualdisobedience.com/
Old March 4th 07, 11:21 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bob Noel

In article .com,
"Jay Honeck" wrote:

1. I will not respond to MX's posts.
2. I will not lambaste MX on these newsgroups.
3. I will not vandalize MX's website.

All in favor, say "aye"...

aye

--
Bob Noel
Looking for a sig the

Old March 4th 07, 12:15 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Tony

That's tougher than giving up smoking, but it's worth a try..

On Mar 3, 11:56 pm, "Morgans" wrote:
"Jay Honeck" wrote

1. I will not respond to MX's posts.
2. I will not lambaste MX on these newsgroups.
3. I will not vandalize MX's website.

All in favor, say "aye"...

Aye

One question, though. What is the punishment for breaking the pledge?

Thirty lashes with a wet noodle? No beer at the OSH party? g
--
Jim in NC

The NEW liquid spray Pledge - Pledge® Multi-Surface Clean & Dust Spray No Spam Owning 6 February 15th 05 05:50 PM
Lemon Pledge Gerry Preston Owning 15 June 18th 04 09:00 PM
Limitations of Lemon Pledge Jay Honeck Owning 36 May 6th 04 08:44 PM
Annual Costs - Take the Pledge Roger Long Owning 25 February 1st 04 03:41 PM
I PLEDGE ALLEGIANCE..... ArtKramr Military Aviation 19 October 24th 03 07:51 PM