InReach Se or Spot Satellite Messenger

Old December 19th 13, 08:40 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default InReach Se or Spot Satellite Messenger

Looking for some help

I am in the midst of trying to guess what my husband would want for his piper Commanche

Can anyone advise me on which communicator would be best - He already has a Stratus -

I have read some reviews on both - since I don't fly, myself, - I am at a loss. Is this the right gift?

Thanks all

Piper Princess
Old December 19th 13, 09:24 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Paul Remde

Hi Piper Princess,

The SPOT Gen 3 is the lower cost option. It is reliable and very easy to
use.

The inReach SE is quite a bit more expensive to buy and to operate. But it
has many features that make it (in my opinion - I sell and have used both)
worth the money.

inReach SE Advantages Over Competitive Products

- Track points include not only GPS position, but also altitude,
groundspeed, and heading - making it easy for your friends to see whether or
not you are still flying.
- With the optional "Aviation" data plan, the tracking interval can be set
at 1, 1.5, 2, 5, 10, 15, 20, 30, 60, 120 or 240 minutes. Using the 1 minute
tracking interval would make flight following at a soaring contest a lot of
fun. It would enhance safety by reducing the search radius in the event of
an emergency in which the unit stopped transmitting.
- Friends viewing your shared page can "ping" your location (if enabled)
using your MapShare page - even if the unit is not in tracking mode. That
would be handy in an emergency. The unit only needs to be turned-on.
- The tracking can change automatically to a long interval (up to 4 hours)
when not moving and change back to the standard (fast) tracking interval if
you move more than a user-defined distance of 20, 50 or 100 meters (66, 164,
or 328 ft). That reduces the data rate when not in flight - which reduces
the monthly byte usage fees (with aviation data plans).
- Having the antenna on top makes it easy to get a good connection with the
unit in a pouch on your parachute strap.
- Better satellite coverage than competitive products - 100% of the world is
covered
- Friends viewing your shared page can send you a message (if enabled) - If
your inReach is on it will alert you to the reception of the message.
- 2-way messages can be sent to any email address or cell phone (text
message)
- The inReach SE works great with, or without a smartphone connected to it.
Free-form messages can be sent using the virtual keyboard on the inReach SE
or using a connected smartphone. It is easy to put into track mode and send
one of 3 pre-defined messages using the buttons on the front of the unit.
Download free detailed topographical maps to your smartphone (at home) and
navigate using the inReach SE as your GPS data source when out in the field.

I have many details on both products on my web site.
http://www.cumulus-soaring.com/delorme.htm
http://www.cumulus-soaring.com/spot.htm

Best Regards,

Paul Remde