Good lubricant for assembly

Old May 31st 18, 01:21 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tom BravoMike

Default Good lubricant for assembly

On Wednesday, May 30, 2018 at 5:33:13 PM UTC-5, Craig Funston wrote:
On Wednesday, May 30, 2018 at 3:04:53 PM UTC-7, Craig Funston wrote:
On Wednesday, May 30, 2018 at 10:32:54 AM UTC-7, Papa3 wrote:
Hey Craig,

For what it's worth... Superlube with PTFE (the one in the tube many of us use) is NLGI rated GC-LB. Per the NLGI folks: "Grease packaging may display the code GC-LB, meaning that it meets the most demanding test standards for both chassis and wheel bearings. Grease products displaying this highest rating meet OEM requirements." Among other comments, it says "Wide temperature grease for use in components such as bearings, chassis and universal joints in passenger cars, trucks, and other vehicles under mild and severe duty.This includes vehicles operated under frequent stop-and-go service (buses, taxis, urban police cars, etc.), or under severe braking service (trailer towing, heavy loading, mountain driving, etc.) (see ASTM D4950)."

Just curious what the specs of the other grease you are using meets. Not doubting you, just looking for data.

P3

HI Eric,

I just switched to Lucas "Red 'n' Tacky". It has the same NLGI GC-LB rating. I hadn't seen anything in the Superlube literature that talked about extreme pressure suitability. It's entirely possible I missed that.

https://lucasoil.com/products/grease/red-n-tacky-grease

Craig
7Q

Eric,

30 seconds of googling produced a spec sheet for an extreme pressure version of Superlube. http://www.super-lube.com/tech-data-...re-ezp-92.html

Craig

It's even "Kosher Certified" - WOW! That has finally convinced me.
Old May 31st 18, 04:34 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
danlj

On Saturday, May 26, 2018 at 8:34:36 AM UTC-5, Senna Van den Bosch wrote:
I'm trying to find a good lubricant for assembly, available in Europe. Any ideas? Currently using regular vaseline.

No additional facts for metals: fretting corrosion is important..
But.. for the carbon-fiber/epoxy pieces...
I was given very bad advice when I bought my glider in 2000 - "lubricate everything"! and used a light petroleum-based spray on the carbon parts. They grew! After carefully re-sizing them with 1000-grit paper, I switched first to high-pressure spray-on graphite lube for a few years. Works nicely to let the carbon parts slide without binding, but marks up everything. Then I switched to a wax lubricant, which does the same job without black or grease. The wing extension pins are the key point here.
Old May 31st 18, 11:16 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Casey[_2_]

https://lucasoil.com/products/grease...lithium-grease
Old June 1st 18, 01:13 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Craig Funston[_3_]

On Wednesday, May 30, 2018 at 3:33:13 PM UTC-7, Craig Funston wrote:
[...]

Of note: The Lucas "Red 'n' Tacky" has a Timken OK load rating of 60 lb whereas the Superlube has a lower rating of 40 lb.

My observations are that this type of high pressure sliding capacity along with corrosion resistance is what matters for pin longevity.

https://lucasoil.com/pdf/TDS_Red-Tacky-Grease.pdf

http://www.super-lube.com/tech-data-...re-ezp-92.html

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Timken_OK_Load

YMMV

Craig,
7Q
Old June 4th 18, 02:28 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Roy B.

E-Coll grease is what Schleicher ships with their new gliders. If it's good enough for them it works for me.
https://shop.eriks.be/en/high-perfor...1444656970017/
ROY
Old June 4th 18, 03:47 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jonathan St. Cloud

On Sunday, June 3, 2018 at 6:28:26 PM UTC-7, Roy B. wrote:
E-Coll grease is what Schleicher ships with their new gliders. If it's good enough for them it works for me.
https://shop.eriks.be/en/high-perfor...1444656970017/
ROY

I have found that glue to have the friction coefficient of sandpaper, worse under pressure. Not so easy with the Schleicher non-tampered pins.