Digital altimeters

Old June 2nd 18, 10:13 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Digital altimeters

Tried of the 57mm Winter altimeter being too inaccurate even after being re-calibrated. Being EXPERIMENTAL, going to look into digital.

Going to look at MGL Vega ASV-1 first as it displays altitude and airspeed. http://www.mglavionics.com/html/vega_color_singles.html

Anyone had experience with this specific make/model?

Old June 3rd 18, 05:22 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
2G

On Saturday, June 2, 2018 at 2:13:38 PM UTC-7, wrote:
Tried of the 57mm Winter altimeter being too inaccurate even after being re-calibrated. Being EXPERIMENTAL, going to look into digital.

Going to look at MGL Vega ASV-1 first as it displays altitude and airspeed. http://www.mglavionics.com/html/vega_color_singles.html

Anyone had experience with this specific make/model?

Even though you are experimental, your airworthiness certificate may be linked to a particular set of basic instruments. Best to check it out before you remove the Winter.
I have used an MGL engine monitoring instrument and thought their quality and documentation was above average. The new instruments have much improved readability.

Tom
Old June 3rd 18, 06:26 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Ross[_3_]

Why not simply go to Air Avionics?
It is a fully TSO altimeter.

https://www.air-avionics.com/

Enjoy
Old June 3rd 18, 07:05 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
2G

On Saturday, June 2, 2018 at 10:26:53 PM UTC-7, Ross wrote:
Why not simply go to Air Avionics?
It is a fully TSO altimeter.

https://www.air-avionics.com/

Enjoy

The ACD-57 is about twice the price of the MGL and lacks an ASI.

Tom
Old June 3rd 18, 09:08 AM
Skypilot Skypilot is offline
Member

I just bought a SZD55 with a digital altimeter and a LX9000. First thing I did was put a new Winter 57mm altimeter in it. Main reason was insurance payout is you break it outlanding, second reason was it looks awful and is hard to read.

Just my thoughts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2G View Post
On Saturday, June 2, 2018 at 10:26:53 PM UTC-7, Ross wrote:
Why not simply go to Air Avionics?
It is a fully TSO altimeter.

https://www.air-avionics.com/

Enjoy

The ACD-57 is about twice the price of the MGL and lacks an ASI.

Tom

Last edited by Skypilot : June 3rd 18 at 09:11 AM.
Old June 3rd 18, 02:13 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Saturday, June 2, 2018 at 2:13:38 PM UTC-7, wrote:
Tried of the 57mm Winter altimeter being too inaccurate even after being re-calibrated. Being EXPERIMENTAL, going to look into digital.

Going to look at MGL Vega ASV-1 first as it displays altitude and airspeed. http://www.mglavionics.com/html/vega_color_singles.html

Anyone had experience with this specific make/model?

Its hard to find specific guidance for instruments in experimental gliders within the maze of FAA regulations, but as a practical matter, I found my Winter compact altimeter calibration was inadequate for safely flying close to restricted airspace, even after factory recalibration, so I took it out and use my CAI and LX altimeters, which have excellent calibration.
Old June 3rd 18, 03:28 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Richard Pfiffner[_2_]

On Saturday, June 2, 2018 at 10:26:53 PM UTC-7, Ross wrote:
Why not simply go to Air Avionics?
It is a fully TSO altimeter.

https://www.air-avionics.com/

Enjoy

http://www.craggyaero.com/acd_altimeter.htm

I have one in my Glider and I have them in stock.

Richard
www.craggyaero.com

Old June 3rd 18, 03:50 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Richard Pfiffner[_2_]

On Sunday, June 3, 2018 at 7:36:15 AM UTC-7, jfitch wrote:
Richard, these are ETSO approved, does that make them FAA TSO'd as well? For use in a certified glider.

On Sunday, June 3, 2018 at 7:28:11 AM UTC-7, Richard Pfiffner wrote:
On Saturday, June 2, 2018 at 10:26:53 PM UTC-7, Ross wrote:
Why not simply go to Air Avionics?
It is a fully TSO altimeter.

https://www.air-avionics.com/

Enjoy

http://www.craggyaero.com/acd_altimeter.htm

I have one in my Glider and I have them in stock.

Richard
www.craggyaero.com

The ACD comes with a similar EASA document to that which comes with a Winter Altimeter. So my answer is ??????

AIR Control Display is a fully ETSO certified primary altimeter. It is an easy to read altimeter with really large numbers and perfect reliability, especially in high vibration environments like helicopters, old powered aircraft, or self launching motorgliders.

Regulation geeks will have to answer this one.

Richard.
www.craggyaero
Old June 3rd 18, 05:01 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
JS[_5_]

On Sunday, June 3, 2018 at 6:13:25 AM UTC-7, wrote:
On Saturday, June 2, 2018 at 2:13:38 PM UTC-7, wrote:
Tried of the 57mm Winter altimeter being too inaccurate even after being re-calibrated. Being EXPERIMENTAL, going to look into digital.

Going to look at MGL Vega ASV-1 first as it displays altitude and airspeed. http://www.mglavionics.com/html/vega_color_singles.html

Anyone had experience with this specific make/model?

Its hard to find specific guidance for instruments in experimental gliders within the maze of FAA regulations, but as a practical matter, I found my Winter compact altimeter calibration was inadequate for safely flying close to restricted airspace, even after factory recalibration, so I took it out and use my CAI and LX altimeters, which have excellent calibration.

I use a calibrated Winter 57mm altimeter and regularly fly near or in Restricted airspace. The ALT display in the TT22 is a more important thing there..
Jim