Ventus 2b vs ASW27b ..Which is the better / nicer aircraft?

Old December 23rd 19, 04:17 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
JS[_5_]

Default Ventus 2b vs ASW27b ..Which is the better / nicer aircraft?

On Monday, December 23, 2019 at 7:55:46 AM UTC-8, wrote:
On Monday, December 23, 2019 at 8:00:45 AM UTC-7, Nick Kennedy wrote:
Over a Beer ( surprising huh ) with Mocho he mentioned the 27B water ballast tanks. He said if they get a leak you have to tear into the wing to fix them.
Are they prone to leaking?

Nick- My memory of that conversation (and those beers) is that I said the Ventus tanks sometimes need that kind of repair. I know of two Ventuses that had to have leaky tanks fixed. Never heard of the problem with the ASW-27.

Must have been more than a few beers. How unusual!
Had various problems with water ballast tanks and fittings in AS, SH, JS, LS. Tanks are really great - until they suck.
My input on the original question, I won't buy another side-hinge canopy (left over from the 70s). Not as user-friendly while rigging, putting stuff in the glider or getting in and out. Ask your reapair station how many Schempp canopy hinges they've fixed versus others.
Personally not keen on single-pin rigging either.
But if you're really after a Ventus 2, get a 2Cx so you won't later wish you did.
Jim
Old December 23rd 19, 04:37 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jonathan St. Cloud

On Monday, December 23, 2019 at 8:17:21 AM UTC-8, JS wrote:
[...]

Funny thing about that single pin rigging. When sliding a single-pin in on a SH I wish it had two pins. But when struggling to put two bunt end pins in an AS I sure miss the single pin.
Old December 23rd 19, 04:51 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
JS[_5_]

On Monday, December 23, 2019 at 8:37:17 AM UTC-8, Jonathan St. Cloud wrote:
[...]

Rolladen-Schneider knew how to make pins!
Using the Steve Bralla rigging aid Mark Mocho now sells, the 27/28/29 is easy.
Jim
Old December 23rd 19, 04:57 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Nick,
Condition of the gelcoat is the ‘elephant in the room’ for most all ships offered. Paying 60K for 20 year old finish is questionable. My old LS-7 is up for sale and I have it on good report that it can be had for 35K! Easy flying machine and a good ship for western conditions. I flew my 1000K in her!
JJ
Old December 23rd 19, 05:49 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Nick Kennedy[_3_]

JJ
How does that LS7 go against the -27 and V2 at gross wt?
I've got a nice LS3a now with all the bells and whistles.
I want to make a large step up.
Not a step to the side.
Merry Christmas to you and Pat!
Old December 23rd 19, 07:19 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Mike C

On Monday, December 23, 2019 at 8:04:18 AM UTC-7, Nick Kennedy wrote:
A question for Hank Nixon and other refinishers.
How much in 2020 to drop one of these planes off at your shop and get it Completely refinished? All the extras- total price ?
Thanks in advance!

I had my LAK 17a refinished by Fidel last winter. His price is $30K and may vary a bit depending the square footage. Fidel is an artist and the finish is excellent.

Mike
Old December 23rd 19, 07:23 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

The 7 is standard class, so it’ll give it up to flapped ship above 70 knots. BTW, my old LS-6 will be on the market soon and it’s recently been refinished in AU.........,she’s been busted, but she runs with cherry birds! It was put back together by a Master Mechanic .....😇
JJ
Old December 23rd 19, 07:32 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Papa3[_2_]

Recent conversation with a well-known commercial glider repair station owner.

Me: How much (ballpark) would it cost to get a 15M glider refinished in Poly. Assume standard crazing and no repairs required.

Him: Wouldn't touch it for less than $25K.

Me: That's not as bad as I thought.

Him: Yeah, well, as soon as you say that I'd raise the price to $30K. And I'd keep raising it until you give up. :-)

Our club is on our 3rd full refinish in the last 8 years (different ships). Even with a dozen or more skilled/semi-skilled helpers available, I'm getting kinda burned out. Couldn't imagine doing 3 or 4 per year!

P3

On Monday, December 23, 2019 at 11:00:16 AM UTC-5, wrote:
On Monday, December 23, 2019 at 10:04:18 AM UTC-5, Nick Kennedy wrote:
A question for Hank Nixon and other refinishers.
How much in 2020 to drop one of these planes off at your shop and get it Completely refinished? All the extras- total price ?
Thanks in advance!

A good bet is to join a couple others and send to M&D or one of the other resources in Europe. I understand cost is about $30,000, plus portion of shipping.
I don't know who in the US is actively seeking refinish work. Maybe Williams in CA, Fidel in NM.
Ball park in the US is about $30K for the whole job if you can find an interested shop.
FWIW
UH

Old December 23rd 19, 10:49 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Pasi Pulkkinen

Flying/handling wise, western USA, 27. Loved it. For me, 6 feet, short legs long back 27 is perfect.
Old December 23rd 19, 11:41 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
heinz weissenbuehler

On Monday, December 23, 2019 at 5:49:05 PM UTC-5, Pasi Pulkkinen wrote:
Flying/handling wise, western USA, 27. Loved it. For me, 6 feet, short legs long back 27 is perfect.

Ok , I never post , but..

Were you flying a DG 300? many many years ago on the Pine Nuts , and met up with a black GLIDER ?? Seem to remember your name

HW

FS ASW27B HL Falbaum Soaring 3 December 20th 06 10:51 PM
Flying is so much nicer with avgas under $3 (USD) Ron Lee Piloting 20 November 27th 06 03:16 PM
ASW27B Ray Gimmey Soaring 1 November 4th 06 02:41 AM
ASW27B for Sale Sam Fly Soaring 0 September 13th 04 12:51 AM
FA EBAY: Evans Volksplane VP1 ( You won't find a nicer VP1) JR Home Built 7 June 16th 04 10:25 PM